Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 09-27-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
Jess Hawsen Arown

Freehold total handle -- 9/21/17

$200,704.

Has to be an all-time low record.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #2
DSB

maybe.... what's your point?
DSB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #3
wilderness

Perhaps in recent years, however Freehold has had pari-mutuel wagering since at least the late-1940s (possibly earlier) and there were surely lower handles.

Handle remains very competitive, along with the dwindling general public's lack of interest.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #4
Jess Hawsen Arown

It had been competitive. In fact, before this season, Freehold definitely handled more than Chester and Pocono -- and competitively with Yonkers.

I cannot speak for the handle in the 40s through the early 80s. But I know that this is the worst in the last 35 years -- and most assuredly longer.

Too be fair, it was pointed out to me that last Thursday was the Little Brown Jug, and some wagering was most likely deflected there. So we shall see, today. I would like to see some of you make me a liar so that I am not betting against myself, today. Unfortunately I like mostly chalk through the first five races. The double might repeat last week's back-to-back 1-9 winners. Both Surick horses, obviously. Possible non-chalk in the first 5 is LIFE TIME CHARLIE (20-1) in the third, although SUPER FREEKEH should be impossible to beat if he handles the half mile track. The 2yo trotter shows a break on his only other half mile track venture.

Surick's MR RIGHT NOW is 8-1 morning line in the third, but I anticipate significantly shorter odds. And HEFTY LEFTY is the only non-favorite with a serious chance in the first 5 -- all this is only IMO, of course..

The last 4 races are interesting.

The Thursday before last, the handle was only $256k.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:25 AM   #5
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Hawsen Arown View Post
It had been competitive. In fact, before this season, Freehold definitely handled more than Chester and Pocono -- and competitively with Yonkers.

I cannot speak for the handle in the 40s through the early 80s. But I know that this is the worst in the last 35 years -- and most assuredly longer.

Too be fair, it was pointed out to me that last Thursday was the Little Brown Jug, and some wagering was most likely deflected there. So we shall see, today. I would like to see some of you make me a liar so that I am not betting against myself, today. Unfortunately I like mostly chalk through the first five races. The double might repeat last week's back-to-back 1-9 winners. Both Surick horses, obviously. Possible non-chalk in the first 5 is LIFE TIME CHARLIE (20-1) in the third, although SUPER FREEKEH should be impossible to beat if he handles the half mile track. The 2yo trotter shows a break on his only other half mile track venture.

Surick's MR RIGHT NOW is 8-1 morning line in the third, but I anticipate significantly shorter odds. And HEFTY LEFTY is the only non-favorite with a serious chance in the first 5 -- all this is only IMO, of course..

The last 4 races are interesting.

The Thursday before last, the handle was only $256k.
MR RIGHTNOW was scratched.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:42 PM   #6
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Hawsen Arown View Post
$200,704.

Has to be an all-time low record.
Both NJ Harness tracks are at a distinct purse disadvantage from PA, NY, DE with their slots fueled purses.
Those states are attracting the better horses, drivers and barns.
And of course the handle is following the pattern. Freehold's purse structure resembles the money paid in the late 70's
Last saturday. 68 starters raced for an avg purse of $4,500
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #7
caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
Both NJ Harness tracks are at a distinct purse disadvantage from PA, NY, DE with their slots fueled purses.
Those states are attracting the better horses, drivers and barns.
And of course the handle is following the pattern. Freehold's purse structure resembles the money paid in the late 70's
Last saturday. 68 starters raced for an avg purse of $4,500
Actually the handle doesn't follow that at all, at least when it comes to the Meadowlands. The Meadowlands still destroys the other tracks.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: