Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #1
horses4courses

How low would you go?

The art of stooping.

A fixture at just about every race track.
You've seen them. People that search for
discarded winning tickets.

I remember finding a winning ticket at an Irish track
when I was young kid (11 or 12 years old). It was
worth somewhere around 15-20 dollars. A small fortune

Since then? Never gave it a second thought.
Too busy trying to figure out the next winner.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/h...520-story.html
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #2
Racey
Mamma Kimbo

also a popular pastime lately

Is folks picking up programs off tables and trash cans.....I know the prices of the form are steep but the folks at Parx love to steal Forms.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:37 PM   #3
maliksealy210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racey View Post
Is folks picking up programs off tables and trash cans.....I know the prices of the form are steep but the folks at Parx love to steal Forms.

If you can't afford the form, you can't afford to bet... It sadly costs a lot more for the printers to print the form when they are printing 1/100th of what they used to. The people who pick them out of the trash are actually making it more expensive.
maliksealy210 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2017, 06:24 AM   #4
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racey View Post
Back in the day, if I left the track early, I'd hand off my form and program to someone coming in.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #5
thaskalos

Stooping isn't as low as a horseplayer can go. Many have retained their "respectability" at the track, while privately destroying the financial health of themselves and their families...just so they could play the "game that they love". The stoopers are PRINCES, in comparison.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #6
MonmouthParkJoe

Personally i would rather have someone find and cash the discarded tickets versus the state taking it.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe View Post
Personally i would rather have someone find and cash the discarded tickets versus the state taking it.
It reminds me of those idiots who grabbed the Pick-6 pool at the 2002 Breeder's Cup. They started out identifying uncashed tickets, reprinting them at Auto Tote and cashing them just before they expired. The mastermind at AutoTote determined that there were hundreds of thousands of dollars in uncashed tickets. Apparently the stoopers are operating on a sound theoretical principle. Those tickets have to be somewhere. Why not the floor?
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliksealy210 View Post
If you can't afford the form, you can't afford to bet... It sadly costs a lot more for the printers to print the form when they are printing 1/100th of what they used to. The people who pick them out of the trash are actually making it more expensive.
I guess I am one of the ones making the form more expensive. Whilst I do not pick forms out of the trash, I do print my own, and I do not apologize for that.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #9
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister View Post
I guess I am one of the ones making the form more expensive. Whilst I do not pick forms out of the trash, I do print my own, and I do not apologize for that.
I am at the point where I think I am going to start printing phonebooks too! Any cost control tips?
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2017, 05:12 PM   #10
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe View Post
This. Stooping certainly doesn't bother me as an ethical manner, as long as they are picking up abandoned tickets and aren't stealing tickets that other horseplayers intend to cash.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2017, 09:56 PM   #11
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
This. Stooping certainly doesn't bother me as an ethical manner, as long as they are picking up abandoned tickets and aren't stealing tickets that other horseplayers intend to cash.
The problem is that all this results in is jammed automated teller windows. These MFer's have no problem running 50-100 tickets they picked up from the floor thru the machines. Sooner or later one of the tickets will get stuck and all they do is move to another machine.

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2017, 10:08 PM   #12
Inner Dirt

I am hoping some stooper got $5978 about 30 years ago, because I think unclaimed tickets go to the state and California already (where I lived then) gets enough unearned money.

Here is the story I believe I told here before. Los Alamitos harness somewhere around 1986. If I liked the pick six it was common of me to put in 2 horses a race and play for $128. Usually a chalky early foot type then a mid priced or long shot type who wins if the race falls apart. First two legs of the pick six I lost two $200 win bets also bet on the top pick six selections and my backs up didn't win either. At 0-2 on the pick six I pitched the ticket in the trash but kept the program and headed the 90 miles home.

Looking in the next mornings paper at the results I saw crazy prices the rest of the night and thought, glad I bailed I would have lost over $1,000 instead of $500. Come to find out those crazy prices were my second choices on my pick six ticket. So what 4 of 6 never pays anything. I look at the very bottom of the results, it says 2 tickets with 4 winners paid $5978.00. I had tossed a $5978.00 ticket in the trash, took a while to get over than mistake, I was all of 25 years old.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2017, 02:06 AM   #13
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I am hoping some stooper got $5978 about 30 years ago, because I think unclaimed tickets go to the state and California already (where I lived then) gets enough unearned money.

Here is the story I believe I told here before. Los Alamitos harness somewhere around 1986. If I liked the pick six it was common of me to put in 2 horses a race and play for $128. Usually a chalky early foot type then a mid priced or long shot type who wins if the race falls apart. First two legs of the pick six I lost two $200 win bets also bet on the top pick six selections and my backs up didn't win either. At 0-2 on the pick six I pitched the ticket in the trash but kept the program and headed the 90 miles home.

Looking in the next mornings paper at the results I saw crazy prices the rest of the night and thought, glad I bailed I would have lost over $1,000 instead of $500. Come to find out those crazy prices were my second choices on my pick six ticket. So what 4 of 6 never pays anything. I look at the very bottom of the results, it says 2 tickets with 4 winners paid $5978.00. I had tossed a $5978.00 ticket in the trash, took a while to get over than mistake, I was all of 25 years old.
THAT was a huge loss!

$5,978.00 in 1986 had the same buying power as $13,204.76 in 2017
Annual inflation over this period was about 2.59%
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2017, 08:27 AM   #14
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
It reminds me of those idiots who grabbed the Pick-6 pool at the 2002 Breeder's Cup. They started out identifying uncashed tickets, reprinting them at Auto Tote and cashing them just before they expired. The mastermind at AutoTote determined that there were hundreds of thousands of dollars in uncashed tickets. Apparently the stoopers are operating on a sound theoretical principle. Those tickets have to be somewhere. Why not the floor?

I was amazed by the whole thing when it was uncovered. They could have flown under the radar for a while taking thousands and no one would have noticed. Sometimes it takes something like this to happen to force change, and now we have the progressive scan that can show us the 456,343 live tickets in the gulfstream jackpot pick six each leg
Old 05-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #15
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post

I have had this happen a couple times to me, while not on the same scale. Now I hold onto everything.