Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Horseplayers Association of North America (H.A.N.A.)

Old 11-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Cangamble
Agitator

HANA topic on Del Mar Forum

http://www.dmtc.com/forum/viewtopic....4a17fc89220c56

It is starting to get funny now that it has reached 8 pages.
And thanks to a few of my own jabs of course
Old 11-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
miesque

I finally went and read that thread over at DMTC while I was eating my lunch and by the time I had finished the first page I remembered exactly why its been several years since I have read anything on the DMTC Forum, the IA Ratio is far too high for my liking. I would like to take this opportunity to say that HANA is very fortunate to have a President with an infinitely higher level of patience then I have.

Kudos to Cangamble for the remark "You are totally oblivious. Tracks have been closing. I almost can't read your crapola anymore, I feel like my IQ will lower if I read much more," that much more eloquently states my thoughts then what I would have posted after reading all 8 pages.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
turfnsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesque
I would like to take this opportunity to say that HANA is very fortunate to have a President with an infinitely higher level of patience then I have.
same here....lol..
turfnsport is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
DeanT

Since we're horseplayers and want to throw a fit when we get a bad drive/ride, it surprises me that Jeff is quite calm. He is some sort of freak
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
miesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
Since we're horseplayers and want to throw a fit when we get a bad drive/ride, it surprises me that Jeff is quite calm. He is some sort of freak
Jeff is like the Zen Master of Horseplayers.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
Cangamble
Agitator

My Latest Blog Post

Featured at Bloodhorse:

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/thoro...14/gamble.aspx
Old 11-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #7
boomman

Agree 100%!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesque
I finally went and read that thread over at DMTC while I was eating my lunch and by the time I had finished the first page I remembered exactly why its been several years since I have read anything on the DMTC Forum, the IA Ratio is far too high for my liking. I would like to take this opportunity to say that HANA is very fortunate to have a President with an infinitely higher level of patience then I have.

Kudos to Cangamble for the remark "You are totally oblivious. Tracks have been closing. I almost can't read your crapola anymore, I feel like my IQ will lower if I read much more," that much more eloquently states my thoughts then what I would have posted after reading all 8 pages.
I can't remember the last time I read so much drivel and that was just in the 1st page! They just REALLY don't get it do they? I lived in Southern California for 16 years and apparently gave the horseplayers much more credit for recognizing what this is than they're willing to admit. Kudos to Jeff for demonstrating the patience of Mother Theresa, but that's enough for me, I won't be reading any more DMTC threads!

Boomer
Old 11-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #8
turfnsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomman
I won't be reading any more DMTC threads!

Boomer
Cmon Boom, at least keep reading until I finally get banned...lol...O/U is 12 hrs.

LIRM is a mindless puke.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:19 PM   #9
DeanT

I am glad Turfnsport is on our side
Old 11-14-2008, 11:31 PM   #10
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfnsport
LIRM is a mindless puke.
What are you trying to say?

It is our responsibility to try to get LetItRideMike to remove the hood with the full cup blinkers, and therefore improve his perspective.

I once approached the sport much like he did, until I looked down and saw it circling the bowl.
Hajck Hillstrom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2008, 11:38 PM   #11
DeanT

I split a $144 pick 6 today with someone. That's the first bet into the HOL pools in an ice age for me. Someone post there that a HANA member is giving them cash, maybe they will like us again

Hajck, the ol "Why I Left Racing" piece is doing well. We're looking forward to part III.

Edit.... oh, I just looked and I am still alive. That's another first in an ice age for me in a pick 6.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #12
turfnsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajck Hillstrom
What are you trying to say?

It is our responsibility to try to get LetItRideMike to remove the hood with the full cup blinkers, and therefore improve his perspective.

I once approached the sport much like he did, until I looked down and saw it circling the bowl.
Hack,

You are not going to be able to change the mind of a dolt like Let It Ride Mike, that is hopeless. All you can do is rebut his mindless dribble he spouts so hopefully anyone reading the forum will understand the issues and facts better.

You guys did a great job of that. Jeff is now right up there with Mother Theresa in my book.

I'm not one for personal attacks (well, except for Jon here...lol) and I could care less if Let It Ride Mike called me a whiner, fat slob, complainer, thief, etc., However, I do take exception when he calls my fellow horseplayers such names....then the gloves are off...lol..
Old 11-15-2008, 03:12 PM   #13
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangamble
From the article:
Quote:
… Many of players that are still left in the game today are products of home environments that included at least a day at the track each week with their parents. And this was made possible because the game used to be possibly beatable in the long term.

… So how did race tracks react to not being the only game in town? They raised takeouts and tried to compete with more and more exotics. Triactors and superfectas with a track takeout of 25% plus are bankroll killers. They pumped in simulcasts, and nowadays an outfit like HPI show 15 tracks a day.

Intertrack/simulcast wagering made sure that only a few people could go home with money in their pockets. The least they could have done is drastically reduce takeouts so players could last a bit longer each day. But the opposite happened, triactors with their high takeouts are now available in every race that has at least 6 horses. Racing has become like blackjack in the fact that you can play 5 really good hands every 20 minutes. Except blackjacks house edge (takeout) is 15 times lower than the takeout at a race track.

And then came slots and lotteries. Slots made sure that mooch money in the pools has disappeared to almost zero. There is hardly a player left who bets without a form. And family day is dead as well. Slots are way more appealing to those who just want to gamble. No thinking is required. Yet, even those who run slots realize that if they increased their takeout to over 10%, slots would be in trouble too. People keep coming back because it mostly takes time to scoop the players gambling money. Someone going to the track knows that $100 may give you 6-9 minutes of real action depending on how much one bets. If you are lucky enough, you might cash, and be able to win another 6-9 minutes of real action.

The way the game is set up today, it is impossible for winners to be created. Nowadays you have good handicappers facing great handicappers, and the great handicapper isn't a winner unless he or she is getting a very good rebate.
Quote:

… Takeouts need to be in the 10-12% range or forget about it.
CG,
I admire your ability to generate such passionate reactions at B-H. Actually, I thought the quoted portion above is among the best of your work that I’ve read. IMO many on-track players in my age group still don’t understand exactly what happened or why they can’t get their grandchildren interested in the game. This should help. Maybe ancient history just doesn’t go over well with the internet crowd.

As far as the DMTC thread is concerned, it was a good move for JP to go there since it looks as if three, maybe four of their regulars are probably sign-ups by now. I had to laugh because LIRM’s indefatigable defense of his position reminded me of yours for evolution.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
Cangamble
Agitator

Thanks. As for evolution, just like with my stance on takeout, I have facts on my side.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #15
DeanT

Those are some interesting comments there. I would swear that most of the reaction is from people who have never bet a horse in their lives. At the very least HANA has people who bet and own horses, so they know both sides. Unfortunately the horse braintrust focuses on taking more revenue from their customers to help their bottom lines. I think we all know that is not going to work. HANA at least offers a growth plan for wagering so that more money can go into the game long term to grow purses. I wish the horse braintrust would concentrate on similar from their end - cut costs of horse ownership (my bills are 200% higher than they were before slots were introduced here as suppliers and so on milk us) - but when we ask them to focus on that all they want to talk about is getting sports betting, handouts, or more money from players.