Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-04-2022, 04:27 PM   #31
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBYRacer View Post
I guess I'm imagining these whales as more quant-geek...Ingenious and above board. For what it's worth, I consider rebate negotiation above board.
The computer teams are ruining the game.
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2022, 09:09 PM   #32
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by $w1fT View Post
The computer teams are ruining the game.
More like ruined.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2022, 09:22 PM   #33
ranchwest

Most of us know that, while horses generally have consistent patterns, they are not race cars.

Same with physicality handicappers. While there are a few general items on a checklist, I have witnessed a number of situations that were simply unique. Sometimes I have taken an educated guess. For instance, I saw a horse with about a 4 inch cut that was slightly healed. The placement of the cut on the hip suggested it might be from a gate experience and i guessed that the horse was not going to be happy racing. After the horse ran poorly, I figured out who the owners were and asked about the cut. I had guess correctly. Such odd sights should arouse concern. I've seen many things only one time and had to make a decision as to whether to upgrade or downgrade a horse based on what I saw. It isn't all about being on the toes, being washy or being muscled. And, sometimes there is a fine line between showing positive energy and being nervous. A fine line between being naturally sweaty and being washy. There's a lot to learn about physicality. I have learned some, but I definitely learn something new with every observation.

Last edited by ranchwest; 08-04-2022 at 09:24 PM.
ranchwest is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2022, 10:20 PM   #34
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
More like ruined.
Yep…….and it didn’t take long
Old 08-05-2022, 01:05 AM   #35
CBYRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
Most of us know that, while horses generally have consistent patterns, they are not race cars.

Same with physicality handicappers. While there are a few general items on a checklist, I have witnessed a number of situations that were simply unique. Sometimes I have taken an educated guess. For instance, I saw a horse with about a 4 inch cut that was slightly healed. The placement of the cut on the hip suggested it might be from a gate experience and i guessed that the horse was not going to be happy racing. After the horse ran poorly, I figured out who the owners were and asked about the cut. I had guess correctly. Such odd sights should arouse concern. I've seen many things only one time and had to make a decision as to whether to upgrade or downgrade a horse based on what I saw. It isn't all about being on the toes, being washy or being muscled. And, sometimes there is a fine line between showing positive energy and being nervous. A fine line between being naturally sweaty and being washy. There's a lot to learn about physicality. I have learned some, but I definitely learn something new with every observation.
Well said.
CBYRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2022, 07:07 PM   #36
BarchCapper

West Coast paddock observations a little more "ballsy"

https://twitter.com/TVG/status/15564...zPF4ddheREZulQ
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2022, 07:27 PM   #37
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
Andie is one of the best out there, so glad TVG brought her out to Del Mar.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2022, 11:17 PM   #38
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Cannot imagine taking a shower with her
Old 08-08-2022, 12:20 AM   #39
ranchwest

Quote:

I am in a contest where we select before Race 1. Today, in Race 2 at Saratoga, #1 Critical Threat had a full goggle over his left eye. Had I known of that odd equipment before I made my selection, I would have not had that horse as my primary selection. From the commentators, I learned that the horse was recovering from an eye infection apparently caused by kickback. The horse ran third.

Physicality includes many factors and does matter.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:14 PM   #40
usfgeology

I haven’t been around horses closely enough to understand nuanced physicality but I appreciate the insights of those who have and do.

One specific scenario where I put a lot of weight on what a horse looks like is lightly raced maiden claimers on the turf. We get a lot of those races in Tampa and with their often vague or nebulous turf pedigree, horses with turfy physical attributes can win despite looking hopeless on paper.
usfgeology is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2022, 10:34 AM   #41
CBYRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfgeology View Post
I haven’t been around horses closely enough to understand nuanced physicality but I appreciate the insights of those who have and do.

One specific scenario where I put a lot of weight on what a horse looks like is lightly raced maiden claimers on the turf. We get a lot of those races in Tampa and with their often vague or nebulous turf pedigree, horses with turfy physical attributes can win despite looking hopeless on paper.
Can you share what some of the attributes might be? Thanks!
CBYRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2022, 05:15 PM   #42
usfgeology

Quote:
Tall, with disproportionally long legs.
usfgeology is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2022, 06:02 PM   #43
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Gabby Gaudet #1, and Maggie Wolfendale #2 as far as paddock preview they are without a doubt, THE BEST.

Best at breaking a race down: Blanket finish... Vic Stauffer, Andy Serling, Simon Bray, Mark Patterson, Matt Carothers.
That's elite company. Thank you, sir.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2022, 06:38 PM   #44
ranchwest

Quote:
Large hooves.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:03 PM   #45
mountainman

Quote:

A cut just slightly healed? In the paddock and permitted to race? I am surprised. Very. Owner-trainer Rodney Moyers got banned from racing for a similar instance involving a likewise partially- healed wound not much bigger than the one you describe.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply