Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 01-01-2021, 04:45 PM   #1
Teach

Meadowlands: Saturday, January 2

.20-cent Pick 5: Races 1 - 5. Carryover: $47,000. Guaranteed $150,000 betting pool.

First race: 6 p.m.

Race One:

1 MACHIATTO A gets my nod in this evening’s “Big M” opener, the first half of the early double and the beginning of the .20-cent Pick 5. This Mach Three-bred 8 YO got “parked out” in his last at Freehold (the early fractions were speedy). This Aussie-bred was as game as they come; but he simply “ran out of gas.” The pacer ended up finishing 7th. Yet, in my opinion, anything resembling a cleaner trip and this Braeview Express-bred could very well grace the “Big M’s” winner’s circle. A wet racetrack would move him up. A. Mac., “The Wonder from Down-Under,” is in the bike for trainer Randy Taft.

7 ALBERGO HANOVER appears to be the main threat. This 6 YO’s recent qualifier was a “walk in the park.” It appears that his connections just wanted to get him qualified (he was 2nd behind a runaway winner) in preparation for his first pari-mutuel start off a layoff. NB: He does get 2nd-time Lasix. The Monmouth University grad (she earned a 4.0 GPA), Jennifer Bongiorno, trains this Well Said-bred. Jenn is part of a harness racing “legacy.” Her grandfather was Harold “Sonny” Dancer. Jenn’s brother, Joe Bongiorno, is “in the seat.” If this Pro Bono Best is ready, as I believe he is, he’s most definitely “a contendah.” One caveat: this pacer has a penchant for hitting the board, yet not getting his picture taken.

If you’re looking for value (aren’t we all), I’d take a close look at 4 DIRT ON MY BOOTS. This 5 YO Delaware-bred ships north from Oxon Hill, MD, i.e., Rosecroft Raceway, to contend at The Meadowlands. This Tobago Cays-bred 5 YO put in some solid efforts at Rosecroft’s 5/8ths mile track. This Dragon Again-bred had a tough outside starting post in his last; he now draws much better this evening. Yet I would be remise if I didn’t mention that he may need an acclimating mile. This Cool Ashlee-bred will move up if there is any moisture on the racetrack. Scott Zeron is in the sulky for trainer Jody Dunning.

3 INDEPENDENT ONE. This 7 YO Rock N Roll Hanover-bred gelding had no chance last week from his extreme outside post. Prior to that, this Astreos-bred qualified in a modest 1:54.2. If you include this pacer’s qualifier, this race will mark his third start off a layoff. The major question remains: Is this Sun N Sand-bred ready? If he’s ready, he’s “in the mix.” I would watch the board for any clues. The “Mainer,” Jason Bartlett, is in the bike for trainer Eric Mollor.

Race Two:

2 KING ALPHONSO is the expected even-money favorite (If you’re looking for value, you ain’t gonna find it here). A singleton in the .20-cent Pick-5, that’s your call (Personally, I’m “buying insurance”). I must admit this 4 YO Muscle Hill-bred’s recent qualifier was impressive. He led from start-to-finish. This Cantab Hall-bred cruised home in that one in 28.2. Dexter Dunn reprises the drive for trainer-part owner, Ake Svanstedt. If this Amour Heiress-bred runs back to his qualifier, it’ll be “Katy, Bar the Door!” Finally, one thing is undeniable; he is the class of this race. His resume reads like a “Who’s Who” as far as prestigious 3-year-old trotting races is concerned. One note of caution, this 4 YO won only one race last year and that was against a weak field at “Phillie.” That causes me to consider buying some “State Farm,” etc., a.k.a., insurance.

7 LOOK IN MY EYES definitely fits at this level. This Lionhunter-bred 4 YO has finished 2nd in his last two at the “Big M” in this company. This Enjoy Lavec-bred has faced much better throughout his career. Yet there’s that tendency to be the “runner-up.” Maybe, this evening, is this trotter’s day to “get off the schneid”? The Quebec native (Sorel-Tracy sur Saint Lawrence), Yannick Gingras, reprises the drive for owner-trainer Anette Lorentzen.

4 BEYOND ORDINARY is another trotter who has faced better. This 4 YO was 3rd in The Simpson at Harrah’s Philadelphia in late-October. This Kadabra-bred has been most competitive in his recent races in this company. “Buckeye,” the Hall-of-Famer, Dave Miller, is back on board for trainer Jenny Melander. This Angus Hall-bred gets an improved starting post.

1 BRONZE YANKEE ships in from Woodbine-Mohawk where this 4 YO trotter was last seen finishing 3rd. This Muscles Yankee-bred has faced some very good company. Earlier in the year, out in Delaware, OH, this Balanced Image-bred finished 3rd – despite breaking at the start – in the Old Oaken Bucket. This bay horse has only been out of the money once in his last twelve races. This is his second start off a layoff. Mark MacDonald, the Canadian Martime Provinces’ reinsman, is in the sulky for trainer Blake MacIntosh.

Race Three:

1 KEYSTONE HONOR is trying “the big mile” after a series of races over half-mile tracks. This 10 YO has faced some “tough customers” at Yonkers in recent weeks; he’s acquitted himself very well. This ridgling showed little in his last at Freehold. Yet in all fairness, that race gave this Bettor’s Delight-bred little opportunity to close in on the race’s up-front “pedestrian” fractions; he finished out of the money. Now he draws “the pole.” That could make all the difference in the world. His chauffeur is Scott Zeron; “Z” has lots of options. I believe this Astreos-bred will be in contention. If all works out, this Richard Johnson-trainee gets his picture taken in the “Big M” winner’s circle.

I just can’t ignore -- not that I want to -- the outside horse, 10 FOX VALLEY NEMITZ. This Richess Hanover-bred 7 YO has been razor-sharp. Last Saturday, this Tattler’s Torpedo-bred breezed to an easy 2 and ½ length win in completing the early double. I believe this 7 YO has an affinity for one-mile ovals. Joe Bongiorno reprises the drive for his owner-trainer, Edwin Quevedo.

7 WESTERN REDHOT deserves consideration. This 8 YO Western Ideal-bred has the services of Le Frelon Vert, “The Green Hornet,” Yannick Gingras. This Cole Muffler-bred has won his last two, most recently at the “Big M,” the previous time at Freehold. This Redhot Pepperpot-bred appears to be very sharp now. Besim Odza trains.

3 PURE ROCK is my long-shot try. This Paul Stafford-trainee has had little luck in recent tries down at Harrah’s Philadelphia. This Rockin Image-bred now ships up to The Meadowlands where he was last seen qualifying in 1:52.3 in early November. “The Orange Crush,” Andy Miller, is in the bike.

Race Four:

In this race – I’ll make “no bones about it” - I’m going for value. Thus, I’ve landed on the inside horse, 1 JUXTA COWGIRL. This Relentless Yankee-bred bay mare has had little luck against better in recent efforts. She just hasn’t worked out “the trip,” but if she does… In her favor, this 7 YO now gets both post and class relief. I might add that if there’s any residual moisture remaining on the “Big M” racetrack, that would move this Cole Muffler-bred way up. Todd McCarthy is in the bike for trainer Mike Watson.

2 BEST HONEY HANOVER appears to be “the horse.” This 6 YO Art Major-bred mare threw in “a clunker” a couple weeks ago. Up until her most recent December 18th race, this mare has been a literal equine “buzz-saw.” I would have to believe that her most recent race was an aberration. If this Western Ideal-bred runs the way she’s capable of running, she can once again grace the “Big M’s” winner’s circle. “DD,” Dexter Dunn, is in the sulky for trainer Carmen Auciello.

3 ROCKIN THE BOYS A turned in a solid effort at Harrah’s Philadelphia in her last. This Rock n Roll Heaven-bred closed sharply to finish second in her first pari-mutuel start off a layoff. This 8 YO should be able to build off that effort. Over the summer and fall this Badlands Hanover-bred mare faced some “tough customers” at Yonkers. This Andrew Harris-trainee is now entered against a field that, at her best, she’s most capable of handling. Andrew McCarthy is in the bike.

7 SHELLIE DE VIE is my long-shot try. The 6 YO Bettor’s Delight-bred showed little at Yonkers in her last. This Rocknroll Hanover-bred could be a little overmatched this evening, but then again… Scott Zeron, the son of “The Whip,” takes over the driving duties for trainer Paul Fusco.

Race Five:

2 BLOOD LINE looks like, appears to be, “the obvious.” Yet this Somebeachsomewhere-bred 7 YO did stop at the top of the stretch against better in her last. What concerns me is that this Western Ideal-bred’s early fractions were not that demanding. I ask, “Does this Blood Diamond-bred need another “tightener?” This is his 3rd start off a layoff (if you include his qualifier). Bottom line: I believe that if he’s ready, he wins. Simple as that. Scotty “Z,” the Ontario native, is in the bike for trainer Richard Johnson.

1 WHITTAKER N is my long-shot try to complete the .20-cent Pick 5. As a handicapper, I always pay close attention as to which horse draws “the rail.” If this Sportswriter-bred were starting outside or even mid-track, I might not be this intrigued, but he’s drawn “the pole.” I belief his inside post moves this New Zealand-bred up (if there’s any residual moisture, it wouldn’t hurt this 8 YO’s chances. G. Nap is in the sulky for trainer Paul Blumenfeld.

10 STONEDUST is another horse who I believe stands a chance here. First, I like most horses that “Buckeye,” Dave Miller, drives. I believe Miller’s driving skills adds to a horse’s chances. Yes, the outside post is daunting. Yet this Sagebrush-bred 7 YO can close. If the early speed ties up? Everything must fall into place… If this April Ruffles-bred can pick up some “live” cover? Jeff Cullipher and his “Cullipher Crew” are this Laag-bred’s conditioners.

9 LACHIE MAGUIRE was 2nd in this company two weeks ago. He does draw an outside post that will make his job of getting to the “Big M” winner’s circle that much harder. Yet, at his best this 11 YO is a threat as evidenced by his recording of his lifetime mark, this past year, at Pocono Downs. I just can’t rule this Bettor’s Delight-bred out, especially with “DD,” Dexter Dunn, in the bike. Dunn will both need to work out a trip and hope that the early speed comes back to him.

The rest of Saturday night's card, tomorrow.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2021, 04:51 PM   #2
Boomer

Teach, the winter survivor elimination contest starts tomorrow night

Just an FYI for you and others.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
Teach

Race Six:

In Race One: #1 MACHIATTO N is scratched. I'll replace that pick with #6 MACINTOSH N

10 DUDDIE’S LOR
4 NO QUARTER
3 LOU’S SWEET REVENGE
8 FANTASTIC VOYAGE

Race Seven:

9 GRUDEN
5 SWEET CHAPTER
1 FINGALS WAVE
3 NEW HEAVEN

Race Eight:

6 MARLOE HANOVER
8 STELLENBOSCH
3 DBLDELITEBRIGADE N
4 ITS MESMERISE N

Race Nine:

6 DE LOS CIELOS DEO
7 HEZ A REAL DIAMOND
8 B STONEY
9 TWIN B TUFFENUFF

Race Ten:

9 LET IT RIDE N
7 WESTERN JOE
4 HIGHALATOR
5 HESA KINGSLAYER N

Race Eleven:

10 DANCE CLUB
9 TALL POPPY N
3 ISLAY N
1 BABY GOT BACK

Race Twelve:

4 BEECHERS BROOK A
9 PADUKA N
1 BETTERLATETHNNEVER
8 LUCAN HANOVER

Race Thirteen:

8 BABES DIG ME
4 THNDRFROMTHETHRON N
1 PRIMO GIOVANNI
3 CASIMIR RUMRUNNER

Race Fourteen:

3 MARVELOUSTRIX
8 LEVITATION
5 TRIXIE DUST
4 EXPLOSIVE RIDGE

Race Fifteen:

7 LIKE CLOCKWORK
3 HE’S ELECTRIC
8 BARBADOS
2 CHIEF ALTAWICK
1 CHASER HANOVER

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 01-02-2021, 07:32 PM   #4
Boomer

n this race – I’ll make “no bones about it” - I’m going for value. Thus, I’ve landed on the inside horse, 1 JUXTA COWGIRL.

Good one Teach. I refer to this as the finr art of "dirtying on up. Gave me a huge $88 p3 and still rolling. Hope you listened to yourself
Old 01-02-2021, 07:40 PM   #5
btexpress

Class is in Session

Great work Tonight Teach
btexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2021, 08:24 PM   #6
onefast99

At Trotters tonight what a shame this restaurant has become you order from the snack bar menu I guess the marketing department is still out on vacation.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:27 PM   #7
Boomer

Race Nine:

6 DE LOS CIELOS DEO
7 HEZ A REAL DIAMOND
8 B STONEY

Another lesson by Mr. Walt!
Old 01-02-2021, 09:32 PM   #8
Boomer

If you want to see a super closer. Tune in to race 10 and watch Let it Ride the 9
Old 01-03-2021, 07:20 AM   #9
Teach

Happy New Year! Thanks for the kudos. After 62 years - I saw and wagered on my first harness race in the summer of 1958 when I was 15-years old - I should have learned enough to pick a few. Sometimes you need a little luck; sometimes you need a lot. Thanks again.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 01-03-2021, 09:12 AM   #10
ucancallmemrlucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
Happy New Year! Thanks for the kudos. After 62 years - I saw and wagered on my first harness race in the summer of 1958 when I was 15-years old - I should have learned enough to pick a few. Sometimes you need a little luck; sometimes you need a lot. Thanks again.
keep the picks coming!
ucancallmemrlucky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: