Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-29-2022, 10:47 PM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

7 Billion Dollar verdict…..damn!

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/29/2...rms-of-service

Put ‘em out of business?
Old 07-30-2022, 01:44 PM   #2
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
That 200 plus dollars a month Spectrum bill in the article caught my eye.

Several years ago Spectrum bought out Time Warner.

At the time, Time Warner was charging me about $80.00 a month for both high speed internet and a cable tv package that included both HBO and Showtime.

It didn't take long before Spectrum began hiking the monthly bill.

$80.00 eventually became $120-ish. About two years ago when it reached $160-ish I told them to shove it, and the only thing I wanted from them was high speed internet.

After that, Spectrum began hiking the monthly internet only bill.

It took a while, but the $49.00 a month they were charging for internet only somehow ballooned to $100-ish.

At which point I told them to shove it a second time, and that I would create a local wifi hot spot using signal from my cell phone carrier.

Rather than have me cancel, they offered to lower my internet only bill to $49.00 a month for a period of 12 months.

I'm about 2 months in now, and have discovered that a local wifi hot spot using signal from my cell phone carrier is good enough that I can watch and bet races through an adw from pretty much any populated area.

$7 Billion (that's Billion with a "B") seems like an excessive amount.

But after dealing with what passes for Spectrum's idea of customer service and jumping through the seemingly endless series of hoops they made me jump through in order to cancel my service and get them to stop billing for services they agreed to cancel:

I don't have much in the way of sympathy for them.

Based on my own personal experience:

If you have any kind of choice, if there's any company who offers tv or internet in your neighborhood, any company at all, go with them instead of Spectrum.

-jp

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpectrumYikes.JPG (29.5 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Jeff P; 07-30-2022 at 01:57 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2022, 02:14 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Rectum sucks.
Poor quality, no customer service, totally worthless.

AM radio is superior.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:23 PM   #4
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Rectum sucks.
Poor quality, no customer service, totally worthless.

AM radio is superior.

Do you have an ass kicking radio, being sarcastic or live in a good area for AM radio? AM radio sucks where I am at, reception quality can vary from one day to the next in the same spot and time as yesterday, with the same weather. I gave up and pay damn near $30 a month for satellite radio and am damn happy. I get a great return on that investment, as it is something I like listening to doing mind numbing repetitious tasks.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2022, 04:02 PM   #5
jimmyb

Spectrum is the only cable option in my city. I thought the 4 increases in the past year were because there was zero competition. Now I know why. Those legal bills add up and are just passed on to us. Fuckers...
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2022, 06:44 AM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Spectrum just bought out my provider
Old 07-31-2022, 09:28 AM   #7
SharpCat

My only option is shitty fixed wireless which I struggle to watch more than 2 track feeds at a time. I can watch up to 8 feeds at once on mobile hotspot but my 10gb of data would be gone in a couple of hours.

About 2 months ago Spectrum started putting in Fiber in our county and in fact they have active service surrounding our subdivision. Not sure if they are going to service our subdivision as I have heard yes and no. If they do I will most likely get a 2nd 4k monitor and try RTN to see how much better the video quality is compared to Twinspires.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2022, 10:55 AM   #8
chrisl

Comcast is the same. Fight my rising bill every month, I am locked into a 24 month agreement, still shoots up 20$-30$. My service can be out for days. The only alternative I have is Dish. I have lost count, on how many times I am trying to place a bet, internet is out. But most of the time that worked in my favor. LOL
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2022, 11:17 AM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Spectrum just bought out my provider
BuyDVDs.

The obly streaming I can watch are You Tube and You Tube TV.
ALL others just freeze continually.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:12 PM   #10
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
BuyDVDs.

The obly streaming I can watch are You Tube and You Tube TV.
ALL others just freeze continually.
Odd how that shit works... ain't it. Just like the frigging Ad's will stream flawlessly every time... but the main content will hang or fail to load. Hit the refresh bang Ad zips right on... content chocked. Almost as is by design.
Old 07-31-2022, 02:13 PM   #11
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCat View Post
My only option is shitty fixed wireless which I struggle to watch more than 2 track feeds at a time. I can watch up to 8 feeds at once on mobile hotspot but my 10gb of data would be gone in a couple of hours.

About 2 months ago Spectrum started putting in Fiber in our county and in fact they have active service surrounding our subdivision. Not sure if they are going to service our subdivision as I have heard yes and no. If they do I will most likely get a 2nd 4k monitor and try RTN to see how much better the video quality is compared to Twinspires.

I always say there are people worse off than me, for you that is me. Best I can get is regular 4G cell wireless. At the best of times I can watch one 720P or lower feed. It still beats the Viasat satellite I used to have, as it never drops out totally like Viasat would do 12 times a day. For those who can't get hardwired broadband never even consider satellite. You have to sign a two year contract with no guarantee of service.
Old 07-31-2022, 02:15 PM   #12
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
Odd how that shit works... ain't it. Just like the frigging Ad's will stream flawlessly every time... but the main content will hang or fail to load. Hit the refresh bang Ad zips right on... content chocked. Almost as is by design.

Are you setting the resolution or is it set to auto? Could it be the ads are coming in at a lower resolution?
Old 07-31-2022, 05:08 PM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Are you setting the resolution or is it set to auto? Could it be the ads are coming in at a lower resolution?
2nd
Old 07-31-2022, 05:48 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I frequently have to set to a lower resolution on both Youtubes and on Prime.
But some. like Peacock are pretty backwards and don't give you any options, so they are basically worthless.

And yes, commercials are ALWAYS flawless.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:58 PM   #15
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
That 200 plus dollars a month Spectrum bill in the article caught my eye.

Several years ago Spectrum bought out Time Warner.

At the time, Time Warner was charging me about $80.00 a month for both high speed internet and a cable tv package that included both HBO and Showtime.

It didn't take long before Spectrum began hiking the monthly bill.

$80.00 eventually became $120-ish. About two years ago when it reached $160-ish I told them to shove it, and the only thing I wanted from them was high speed internet.

After that, Spectrum began hiking the monthly internet only bill.

It took a while, but the $49.00 a month they were charging for internet only somehow ballooned to $100-ish.

At which point I told them to shove it a second time, and that I would create a local wifi hot spot using signal from my cell phone carrier.

Rather than have me cancel, they offered to lower my internet only bill to $49.00 a month for a period of 12 months.

I'm about 2 months in now, and have discovered that a local wifi hot spot using signal from my cell phone carrier is good enough that I can watch and bet races through an adw from pretty much any populated area.

$7 Billion (that's Billion with a "B") seems like an excessive amount.

But after dealing with what passes for Spectrum's idea of customer service and jumping through the seemingly endless series of hoops they made me jump through in order to cancel my service and get them to stop billing for services they agreed to cancel:

I don't have much in the way of sympathy for them.

Based on my own personal experience:

If you have any kind of choice, if there's any company who offers tv or internet in your neighborhood, any company at all, go with them instead of Spectrum.

-jp

Comcast pulls the same shit. my problem is my mobile phone is with them as well. i am giving them over $400 a month and my house is the only one on the street that can't go to another company.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: