Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-27-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
Jess Hawsen Arown

TV ratings

I was surprised to find that TV ratings are still based on Nielsen samples. I would have thought the cable companies could supply an accurate count. But I could find no information on such a process. Would it be considered an invasion of privacy?

I believe most viewers are like myself, changing channels during commercials -- or even changing channels when the show I am watching bores me for a period of time.

Therefore, if Nielsen avoids people like me for their sample, they are also missing a huge part of the market.

Anyone with some real knowledge of the viewer calculation process?
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Hawsen Arown View Post

I believe most viewers are like myself...
God help us...
Old 09-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Hawsen Arown View Post
I was surprised to find that TV ratings are still based on Nielsen samples. I would have thought the cable companies could supply an accurate count. But I could find no information on such a process. Would it be considered an invasion of privacy?

I believe most viewers are like myself, changing channels during commercials -- or even changing channels when the show I am watching bores me for a period of time.

Therefore, if Nielsen avoids people like me for their sample, they are also missing a huge part of the market.

Anyone with some real knowledge of the viewer calculation process?
I was told long ago that cable and dish providers capture data within the system, then fwd that to companies like Nielsen for a small fee. The providers may not admit it but it happens.

Not saying it's fact, just what I understood it to be years ago

And, most are like you. Channel switching is in the male gene. I have to explain that to the wife on a regular basis

Last edited by ElKabong; 09-27-2017 at 05:40 PM.
ElKabong is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #4
MutuelClerk

It seems TV ratings are harder to calculate these days. Lots of younger people stream TV shows on their phones and such. Different world.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: