Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-21-2017, 11:06 PM   #31
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
I think that he compares favorably as an offensive player, but not so much defensively.

Carter

AS - 11
GG - 3
SS - 6
MVP - 0 (finished 2nd in 1980)

Posada

AS - 5
GG - 0
SS - 5
MVP - 0 (finished 3rd in 2003)

I think that Carter was overall a much better catcher and player, but Posada was definitely a good hitter. I would have seen Posada as a guy that gradually continued garnering more votes as the years went on, maybe getting in and maybe not getting in. It is surprising to me that he received so few.

This year's voting aside, I believe that the HOF has historically done a poor job of inducting players. Just my opinion.
I guess the question is this, does his hitting and being a reliable catcher for championship teams outweigh his lack if defensive excellence? I've seen a LOT of Posadas lifetime games and I don't remember thinking he was a 'liability'. It's really hard to quantify his importance in winning those titles his team won.
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2017, 02:10 AM   #32
Valuist

Posada is not Hall of Fame worthy. Not even debatable, IMO.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2017, 02:53 AM   #33
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
Posada is not Hall of Fame worthy. Not even debatable, IMO.
If he was elected tomorrow, would he be the worst player in the hall? If not, than he's worthy of at least getting in the convo.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #34
andtheyreoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoer89
If he was elected tomorrow, would he be the worst player in the hall? If not, than he's worthy of at least getting in the convo.
Saying "hey, at least he wouldn't be the worst HOFer!" is not much of an argument.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #35
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoer89
I guess the question is this, does his hitting and being a reliable catcher for championship teams outweigh his lack if defensive excellence? I've seen a LOT of Posadas lifetime games and I don't remember thinking he was a 'liability'. It's really hard to quantify his importance in winning those titles his team won.
If this is the argument, then Mike Piazza is the comparison. In this case, there would then be absolutely no comparison at all. I mean, think about this. Lance Parrish is not even in the Hall of Fame. He was an incredible player who put up better offensive numbers than either Posada or Carter. He was also a very good defensive catcher. No Hall of Fame. As I said before, the HOF does a terrible job of inducting players.

Parrish

AS - 8
GG - 3
SS - 8
MVP - 0
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #36
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff
Saying "hey, at least he wouldn't be the worst HOFer!" is not much of an argument.
The argument would be that he's as good as so and so and that's why he should get a look. It's not the best argument, you're right about that, personally I think there are some hofers who don't belong, as far as posada actually belonging? It's a stretch, but that's our stretch, the HOF has different standards, they let in more people than I would.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:37 PM   #37
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
If this is the argument, then Mike Piazza is the comparison. In this case, there would then be absolutely no comparison at all. I mean, think about this. Lance Parrish is not even in the Hall of Fame. He was an incredible player who put up better offensive numbers than either Posada or Carter. He was also a very good defensive catcher. No Hall of Fame. As I said before, the HOF does a terrible job of inducting players.

Parrish

AS - 8
GG - 3
SS - 8
MVP - 0
I agree Parrish > Posada
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply