Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
chiguy

BC Future Stars Friday

Looks like the BC has decided to run all 2-year old races on Friday. My immediate reaction is negative to this news. I am fine with all of them being on Friday except for the Juvenile Males on dirt. I would prefer this one remain on Saturday and be part of the big day. Am I looking at this wrong?
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Give me Friday off.
I do not give a crap about 2yo races, so this save me $10 for a Form.

Big day Saturday now - all the real championship race on one card.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I absolutely would not pay the price of the ticket for the Friday card now. A 2yo turf sprint is a joke as a "championship" race, and the others are the least interesting IMO of all the BC races.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
dilanesp

They are putting lipstick on a pig.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 09:47 PM   #5
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Sure makes it pretty tough to shell out good money to watch a bunch of juvenile races, at least with the Distaff there was a real marquee event for your money.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #6
MonmouthParkJoe

Couldn’t agree more with what has been said. This format completely eliminates me attending unless it’s local. Saturday will be amazing
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 11:59 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
And over-charging for the ribs!
Old 05-12-2018, 05:00 AM   #8
Fager Fan
Veteran

It looks like they'll change this again if your reaction of not going on Friday now is the typical reaction.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 07:26 AM   #9
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
It looks like they'll change this again if your reaction of not going on Friday now is the typical reaction.
You might be right, at the BC site it says the final race schedule will be Oct. 24th.

The 2 YO races, to me, have always been there as filler races and if this remains the schedule, then I have little interest in the Friday card.

The Saturday card becomes then pretty much the original BC schedule with the final 5 races the same as when the BC began, just without the two Juvy dirt races.

Some BC marketing guy came up with a way to make the Friday card irrelevant, no small feat, but in so doing built the Saturday card back into a great one.

Whatever happened to Friday being Ladies day? At least with the Distaff as the big race of the day, it was much better than this proposal.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #10
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
You might be right, at the BC site it says the final race schedule will be Oct. 24th.

The 2 YO races, to me, have always been there as filler races and if this remains the schedule, then I have little interest in the Friday card.

The Saturday card becomes then pretty much the original BC schedule with the final 5 races the same as when the BC began, just without the two Juvy dirt races.

Some BC marketing guy came up with a way to make the Friday card irrelevant, no small feat, but in so doing built the Saturday card back into a great one.

Whatever happened to Friday being Ladies day? At least with the Distaff as the big race of the day, it was much better than this proposal.
I've been yelling for bringing back championship day, and making Friday a lead up day, so I can't complain. It may be the only thing they've done in 10 years I approve of.

Aren't the tickets packaged for the two days mostly? And if one travels for it, aren't they likely to go for both days?
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #11
CincyHorseplayer

The constant tinkering to a good thing, why? This is what the 2nd time in recent months they have shown their absolute determination to F this up? Like Wiley said make Friday ladies day. That completely works IMO.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #12
Bennie

I would always take off work on Thursday and Friday prior to the Breeders Cup and use Thursday to work on Friday's card and watch the races on Friday while working on Saturday's races. Now it seems like I can save a vacation day and only take off on Friday to work on Saturday's card and make my bets early. If this is going to be the schedule, the only bet I may place from Friday's card might be which ever race they hook up with the Classic for the Friday/Saturday daily double. Most likely with this card it will be the Juvenile Males. I know there are some who actually like a card filled with the unknown but whenever tracks like Gulfstream "showcase" all 2 year old races I for one don't bother to even look. There are enough races going on across the country to satisfy my appetite. I don't mind the occasional "use all' race thrown into the everyday pick 4 or pick 6 but not when every race is an "all button" . I hope they hear our voices before the final schedule is set in stone but if not I hope they get the message when we all leave our hands out of our pockets on Friday.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #13
SG4

For all the potential tinkering the Breeders Cup has been talking about, this one was a giant sigh of relief far as I'm concerned. I actually don't mind this idea, as I'm more excited that all the big boys & girls now get to strut their stuff on a single day. If you look at the growing success Churchill has had with their future stars of tomorrow cards, it is apparent that bettors will partake nicely in an all 2yo card filled with quality races (despite the small sample size grumbling here).

The small piece of news I'm more upset about is the F & M Turf being run at 1 3/8 miles this year, which is probably handing this race to the Europeans. I love the 9f version of this race as I feel like that allows for more compelling matchups, can't think of a US based mare who would want any part of this distance on an international stage.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #14
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
If you look at the growing success Churchill has had with their future stars of tomorrow cards, it is apparent that bettors will partake nicely in an all 2yo card filled with quality races (despite the small sample size grumbling here).
And you know this how? (reference to the small sample grumbling here)

I have not paid attention to the CD all 2 YO cards you mention, but I doubt they bring in more revenue than Oaks day or a normal BC Friday card?

So with this BC Friday schedule, now this year CD will have two all 2 YO rising star cards?

It's also the BC, not a CD event.

In the end, I guess it's not really a problem for me, it just goes back to being a great one day event.

Somebody coming in for both days might think twice about coming with this schedule, at least to me, but maybe I'm wrong.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: