Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-08-2017, 08:13 PM   #31
Blenheim
Race Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonboomer View Post
True distance breeding is a thing of the past in American racing. That's one reason the classics, when run at an honest pace, become a stagger fest coming down the stretch. One reason favorites have won 5 straight is that the best horses at a mile and an eighth are now always the best horses at a mile and a quarter. They went 53 and change the last half and 26 and change the last quarter off an honest pace, and nothing could come close to running Always Dreaming down. It wasn't always this way.

Agree.

In addition, I think we are going to see more and more fresh, lightly raced horses displacing the horses that ran in Stakes races as two-year-olds. Hopefully, most handicappers will not make the necessary adjustments.

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #32
CincyHorseplayer

That the Derby sucks and it is not a big wagering event any more. Sick of it.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2017, 09:15 PM   #33
señorclipclop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post

The tri paid $4,000 and the super paid $75,000. What more do you need?
señorclipclop is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2017, 09:49 PM   #34
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
Weather ruined it this year. I think the horses get worse every year. But weather was the real reason the race was bad. Half the field was never in it
Old 05-09-2017, 02:39 AM   #35
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Weather ruined it this year. I think the horses get worse every year. But weather was the real reason the race was bad. Half the field was never in it
Ralph I have cashed in 4 of the last 7 derbies. I get no great thrill out of it unless I can drill the hell out of something. With this chalky BS. Mediocre payoffs getting pumped up like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Whateva! I tore up 11 and 13 then we get this parade of chalk and nonsense. I get my Irish up for the Derby every year but IMO this race has degenerated into a snooze fest. Made more money at Will Rogers Downs this week than Churchill and that's becoming a common theme. We been doing this for a couple decades. We allowed to be salty dogs! LOL! Weather really did affect it. I usually crush turf races this weekend. No dice.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2017, 07:01 AM   #36
PowerUpPaynter

in the realm of derby races it was one of the more boring. and i know im gonna get crucified for saying this but this is one of the weakest crops if not the weakest crop this century. I do think Always Dreaming wins the Preakness in Smarty Jones fashion, I just hope he loses in Belmont because he's not a great horse and wouldnt want to taint the Triple Crown. If he was to win the Triple Crown its merely an indictment on how bad a crop it is rather than how good he is. This horse in no American Pharoah, not even as good as California Chrome. However I will pound exotic tickets with him up top for the Preakness. The field under him is a joke and should be racing on Tuesdays at Delaware Park. Its the Big Brown year all over again. Can we get someone to inexplicably pull him up in the Belmont to save the sanctity of the Triple Crown?

Last edited by PowerUpPaynter; 05-09-2017 at 07:16 AM.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2017, 07:30 AM   #37
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
in the realm of derby races it was one of the more boring. and i know im gonna get crucified for saying this but this is one of the weakest crops if not the weakest crop this century. I do think Always Dreaming wins the Preakness in Smarty Jones fashion, I just hope he loses in Belmont because he's not a great horse and wouldnt want to taint the Triple Crown. If he was to win the Triple Crown its merely an indictment on how bad a crop it is rather than how good he is. This horse in no American Pharoah, not even as good as California Chrome. However I will pound exotic tickets with him up top for the Preakness. The field under him is a joke and should be racing on Tuesdays at Delaware Park. Its the Big Brown year all over again. Can we get someone to inexplicably pull him up in the Belmont to save the sanctity of the Triple Crown?
I'm sorry but this makes no sense. You're probably right he's not a great horse but isn't it a tad early to know for certain? I didn't like him going into the Derby, and I was way wrong but it's kind of hard to argue his results so far.

Taint the triple crown? It's not like American Pharaoh was beating a bunch of hall of famers in the triple crown.

Don't take this the wrong way but maybe don't focus on one race so much. I mean with the daily threads about every single horse. That way, if you end up being wrong it's not so bad that you post posts like this.

There's a lot of exciting racing almost every day out there. Broaden your horizon a bit and don't put all your eggs in the Derby basket.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2017, 07:41 AM   #38
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
I'm sorry but this makes no sense. You're probably right he's not a great horse but isn't it a tad early to know for certain? I didn't like him going into the Derby, and I was way wrong but it's kind of hard to argue his results so far.

Taint the triple crown? It's not like American Pharaoh was beating a bunch of hall of famers in the triple crown.

Don't take this the wrong way but maybe don't focus on one race so much. I mean with the daily threads about every single horse. That way, if you end up being wrong it's not so bad that you post posts like this.

There's a lot of exciting racing almost every day out there. Broaden your horizon a bit and don't put all your eggs in the Derby basket.
Your right in the fact that i do enjoy the lead up to the derby probably a little too much i guess it just burns my ass a little when it dont live up to the hype. very anti-climatic derby this year. The favorite broke great, carved out a great trip along a golden rail (which he would of won anyway) and closed it out. No real drama in this derby. Hopefully the Preakness can be more interesting. With my luck lately it will be and he will get caught by a nose because iv so very very confident he wins by a huge margin.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #39
Julz

Pharoah already tainted the triple crowns. For the greats that were already out there, that one was a joke. Losing to Keen Ice. My lord. Not much competition for him that year. Beat tale of verve in the Preakness. Tale of Verve. It's a shame that the triple crown was tainted. A horse that it should be reserved for would be a horse like Arrogate.
Julz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #40
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julz View Post
Pharoah already tainted the triple crowns. For the greats that were already out there, that one was a joke. Losing to Keen Ice. My lord. Not much competition for him that year. Beat tale of verve in the Preakness. Tale of Verve. It's a shame that the triple crown was tainted. A horse that it should be reserved for would be a horse like Arrogate.
This is ridiculous. Secretariat lost to Onion and Prove Out and Angle Light.

My lord indeed!

And no, I'm not saying Pharoah is equal to Secretariat...just making a point.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #41
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
This is ridiculous. Secretariat lost to Onion and Prove Out and Angle Light.

My lord indeed!

And no, I'm not saying Pharoah is equal to Secretariat...just making a point.
Pharoah's Belmont time is the 7th fastest ever at 1 1/2 and 2nd to only Secretariat out of Triple Crown Winners. Agree with Pace Advantage, total foolish statement.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #42
Fred Mertz

The Derby taught me to bet on the tote board favorite. I read and study and all that, but I've been wrong more often than not.

I put money on Thunder Snow to show. I didn't realize he was a bucking bronco in a rodeo show.

It was all fun though.
Fred Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #43
elhelmete

It taught me that horseplayers can't ever be satisfied if a favorite that paid over $11 is bad for the game.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2017, 01:19 PM   #44
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
It taught me that horseplayers can't ever be satisfied if a favorite that paid over $11 is bad for the game.
Amen to that...

$11.80 is a number that would normally be a 3d or 4th choice in most other types of races...

Can't please them all I guess, haha...

But, I suspect that the ones who are doing the most with the dissatisfaction thing, are the ones who just didn't have the numbers on that day...
Old 05-09-2017, 01:23 PM   #45
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
Pharoah's Belmont time is the 7th fastest ever at 1 1/2 and 2nd to only Secretariat out of Triple Crown Winners. Agree with Pace Advantage, total foolish statement.
I'm not an AP fan, but I love his Belmont. He ran the second six furlongs in the same time as his first six furlongs-- i.e., he never slowed down going 1 1/2 miles on dirt.

AP also beat more horses in the TC, by far, than any other TC winner. I certainly am not a fan of his post-TC career of all of three races, but he in no way "tainted" the TC.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: