Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-30-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
Clocker

Houston we have a problem

Here are a couple of interesting articles about why the damage from a storm like Harvey, and the subsequent flooding, are made worse by human development and by government policies. Especially in Houston.

Quote:
The city’s flood system is supposed to protect the public from a 100-year storm, but Bea calls that “a 100-year lie” because it is based on a rainfall total of 13 inches in 24 hours.

“That has happened more than eight times in the last 27 years,” Bea said. “It is wrong on two counts. It isn’t accurate about the past risk and it doesn’t reflect what will happen in the next 100 years.”
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...828-story.html

Quote:
Houston’s problem was runaway development in flood-prone areas, accelerated by heavily subsidized federal flood insurance.

Two relatively modest storms that hit Houston in 2015 and 2016—so small they didn't get names—did so much property damage they made the list of the 15 highest-priced floods in U.S. history. But Houston’s low-lying flatlands keep booming, as sprawling subdivisions and parking lots pave over the wetlands and pastures that used to soak up the area’s excess rainfall, which is how Houston managed to host three “500-year floods” in the past three years.
http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...hington-215549
Old 08-30-2017, 10:25 AM   #2
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
People don't like living on or near the water, they LOVE living on or near the water.And since it's rarely poor people living on beachfront, lakefront and riverfront properties, those that do live there have influence (I would not be shocked if more than a few members of Congress have such properties) and since most people enjoy spending as little as possible on insurance, people in West Virginia, Kansas and Utah are subsidizing those people on Long Island and Biscayne Bay.I wouldn't be surprised if the actual risk was reflected in the flood insurance payments, the premiums for those properties would be double or more.

That being said, only 15 % of the properties in the Houston area have flood insurance,according to one report I heard.This is not going to be pretty.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
tucker6

This isn't a Houston problem. Poor storm water management occurs in every town and city across the country. Current storm water management theory and practice is a static solution in an often dynamic world. Those storm retention ponds that you see in each development are a big problem in long rain events. They're okay in and of themselves in small rain events, but when you put hundreds or more in a town, they become ticking time bombs in long duration events by making flooding worse and longer in the end. By retaining runoff that would normally leave the land immediately, these ponds make the disaster worse in the end by having both current rainfall and rainfall from 6 hours ago running off at the same time, thus exacerbating the flooding problem.

Last edited by tucker6; 08-30-2017 at 11:30 AM.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #4
Marshall Bennett

While all of the above is true, the nature of such a storm as Harvey is extremely rare. The fact that it parked in such a manner for days, and close to a city of 2 million, 500 years seems about right. Granted, TS Allison did extreme damage, it was nothing in comparison to Harvey. You weigh in actual risk as opposed to cost to restructure, and people that are mostly affected will gamble every time.
Evacuation coordination can always stand improvements. Educating people better to identify with potential disaster is a severe problem. Far too many assume that since they've never lived through a real disaster, they never will either. When told to leave home and possessions behind, they're unwilling to face consequences.
People also crowd earthquake fault zones all over the world. They assume risk, but after weighing in their actual chances of dying or losing everything, they proceed. Houston will eventually recover and people will continue their routine nature. Chances are good that such a disaster will never happen again. People for the most part like those chances, and do whatever makes them happy.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

The City has a problem. "The city" I don't know enough about the city, but based on the storms prior to this Harvey event, they need a plan for the future. It was bad before Harvey.

But I have to tell you. This Harvey thing was biblical. If that doesn't impress you, I don't know what will. I'm flabbergasted at what I witnessed for 4 days straight. If I ever run into the guy who graded my sub division, I'm going kiss him right on the mouth!!
Old 08-30-2017, 07:16 PM   #6
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
The City has a problem. "The city" I don't know enough about the city, but based on the storms prior to this Harvey event, they need a plan for the future. It was bad before Harvey.

But I have to tell you. This Harvey thing was biblical. If that doesn't impress you, I don't know what will. I'm flabbergasted at what I witnessed for 4 days straight. If I ever run into the guy who graded my sub division, I'm going kiss him right on the mouth!!
I am glad that you and your wife did not get crushed in this ordeal that from all accounts is not even close to winding down, some areas draining others getting higher. I was tempted to post in the other thread but abstained because as you say "biblical", so many lives upside down.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #7
Clocker

Oops! Need to get those left over Obama people out of the federal government.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #8
summersquall

A writer for the local newspaper on how he perceives those who populate social media. http://www.houstonchronicle.com/life...g-12168092.php
summersquall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2020, 12:50 AM   #9
fast4522

Beta to Unleash Days of Flooding Rainfall, Pounding Surf From Texas to Louisiana

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2020...s-to-louisiana
Old 09-22-2020, 12:54 AM   #10
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Beta to Unleash Days of Flooding Rainfall, Pounding Surf From Texas to Louisiana

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2020...s-to-louisiana
I was predicted to get at least 2inches today.

We got about .5 inches

It’s breaking up faster than they thought
Old 09-22-2020, 01:31 AM   #11
fast4522

But some are getting wet.

Tropical Storm Beta causes major flooding across Houston area

https://www.khou.com/article/weather...8-88f75abfa068
Old 09-22-2020, 07:40 AM   #12
Marshall Bennett

I'm in Trinity, about 70 miles to the north. We've had mostly mist and occasional light rain. Barely measurable.
Best part is its much cooler. Highs in upper 70's instead of 90's.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2020, 07:51 AM   #13
garyscpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
But some are getting wet.

Tropical Storm Beta causes major flooding across Houston area

https://www.khou.com/article/weather...8-88f75abfa068
About 7" of rain yesterday in League City, halfway between Houston and Galveston. It sort of depended on if you were in the rain band or not.
garyscpa is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2020, 11:21 AM   #14
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyscpa View Post
About 7" of rain yesterday in League City, halfway between Houston and Galveston. It sort of depended on if you were in the rain band or not.
Wow! Glad I missed it