Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #76
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #77
MadVindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
If you're there in person...

Get there early, like right when the gates open.
I won't be getting there in person, unfortunately. i'm getting intensely envious seeing all the people having fun in the pics and hearing about the food and atmosphere. Hope I can at least make a few bucks from afar. I like the advice about SA 6.5f and flat miles at DelMar. I would completely overlook comparing the two.
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #78
chiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Message from a Mutuel Clerk and my response to email list.

I have been asked to forward this message to prominent media/administrators/management that I know in the industry. Full disclosure, my wife is a mutuel clerk, so I have a vested interest in the potential strike. Thanks, Bob.

My Window: Where people step up and try to predict the future with cold, hard cash

I have not seen it all, but I have seen a lot. The view I have had from my window has been amazing. I have met celebrities, royalty, the very rich, and the down and out. I have spent 45 years, at my window, and would not want to be anywhere else. I have made friends with people from all over the world. Even though we speak a different language, I can see we share a connection from the experience. I have taught, I have lectured, I have educated. I have even called races for customers who could not see. I know I have made a difference.

The changes I have seen, from my window, are very hard to view. Automation is not a way to create atmosphere. I see greed, stupidity and hate. Those are very ugly words, but true. The decisions being made are deteriorating our industry to the point, if not corrected, will destroy what we all care about so much. To take away my view will be a huge loss to me. But, it will be a bigger loss to the industry.

Ron McClellan (Local 280)

===============================================

I support the Mutuel Clerks having a good deal and I don’t want to see anyone out of work. And yes there are less jobs with no end in sight.

BUT

They’ve never stood up for the Customers when we’ve boycotted or supported our suggestions and ideas to grow the game so there would be more jobs and not less. We boycotted because the takeout hikes were abusive and still are. And the game isn’t growing by any significant measure given the years of handle being down. I may be wrong but I’ve never heard anyone from the Union speak up for the Customers at any CHRB meeting or in any article.

Bottom line is that I’m for the Gamblers and the Gamblers go to the track to bet. If the Mutuel Clerks don’t want to take the bets then we gotta go mobile or use self-serve machines.

I hope the situation is resolved but I don’t see any upside for the Union in this circumstance. I do see that if they don’t go to work the Industry won’t forget it and there will be less work and not more. Blindsiding Del Mar is just going to make them more hostile and not less.

BTW I was in two Unions in my life. The last was as a Teamster.

We never quit,

A

First off why would they support a boycott? This is their livelihood. It would seem counter productive to support something that would hurt their family and their industry. Did you ever reach out to the union leadership and ask for help with the boycott? There may be reasons (contractually) that they could not participate. Also the union did not "blindside" Del Mar. When the last contract was reached (years ago) the expiration date was set for today. The union actually did a very smart thing. They maximized their bargaining power. Like every other business in the country, the racetracks are looking to shred labor in favor of automation. I don't know where that ends, maybe with nobody employed. I know clerks are a favorite punching bag here but there are still a lot of people, more during Del Mar, that rely on the clerks to help them get involved in the game.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #79
Immanuel Kant

Quote:
Tracks want more betting interests to boost handle. That's why they do it. Another part of the handicapping puzzle.
I understand why tracks do it.....that they do it, does not stop the practice from being wrong!

We worry about collusion and watch this example and smile....I just don't get it.

The ownership/trainer combo of the 6 and 9 in race 1 have a tremendous advantage/opportunity to control, alter, fix, manage, (add whatever word is appropriate) the race......I believe it is impossible for me to handicap what they will do without inside knowledge........should that really be part of the handicapping puzzle?

How can the small player compete against whales, bots and rebates? Fixed Odds!
Immanuel Kant is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #80
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
First off why would they support a boycott? This is their livelihood. It would seem counter productive to support something that would hurt their family and their industry. Did you ever reach out to the union leadership and ask for help with the boycott? There may be reasons (contractually) that they could not participate. Also the union did not "blindside" Del Mar. When the last contract was reached (years ago) the expiration date was set for today. The union actually did a very smart thing. They maximized their bargaining power. Like every other business in the country, the racetracks are looking to shred labor in favor of automation. I don't know where that ends, maybe with nobody employed. I know clerks are a favorite punching bag here but there are still a lot of people, more during Del Mar, that rely on the clerks to help them get involved in the game.
Because what we wanted would have grown the game. They are losing jobs because the game isn't growing, especially at brick and mortar facilities where they work.

They would have never recovered if they blindsided Del Mar. Del Mar didn't expect them to threaten a boycott.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #81
dilanesp

Quote:
Because what we wanted would have grown the game. They are losing jobs because the game isn't growing, especially at brick and mortar facilities where they work.

They would have never recovered if they blindsided Del Mar. Del Mar didn't expect them to threaten a boycott.
They are losing their jobs because 90 percent or more of the bets on horse races are not made through tellers anymore, and because the racing calendar is centered around big special events and not consistent day to day attendance.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #82
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
They are losing their jobs because 90 percent or more of the bets on horse races are not made through tellers anymore, and because the racing calendar is centered around big special events and not consistent day to day attendance.
Right.

BUT

Over the last eight years I have brought up the Union endorsing some of the changes we wanted that might grow the Customer base. Not one time did they say a thing.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #83
Andy Asaro

Opening Day Full Program. https://www.dmtc.com/racing/programs/20180718

Opening Day condensed Program. https://www.dmtc.com/racing/morning-line/20180718
Old 07-17-2018, 10:15 PM   #84
Andy Asaro

Old 07-17-2018, 10:23 PM   #85
Andy Asaro

Old 07-17-2018, 10:27 PM   #86
Andy Asaro

Old 07-17-2018, 10:28 PM   #87
Andy Asaro

Old 07-17-2018, 10:31 PM   #88
Andy Asaro

Old 07-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #89
Andy Asaro

Del Mar Stable Notes
July 17, 2018

https://www.dmtc.com/media/news/stab...y-17-2018-1141

Excerpt:

ACCELERATE SET TO RAMP UP FOR CLASSIC WITH SAN DIEGO PREP

Remember Accelerate?

How could any Del Mar follower forget?

The now 5-year-old son of Lookin At Lucky, trained by John Sadler for Hronis Racing LLC, shocked the racing world a year ago, winning the San Diego Handicap by 8 ½ lengths while super horse (to that point) Arrogate struggled home fourth at odds of 1-9. A month later, Accelerate pressed the pace of wire-to-wire winner Collected in the Pacific Classic before being passed late by Arrogate.

Accelerate is back to defend his title in the Grade II $200,000 San Diego on Saturday to continue a 2018 campaign which has already produced victories in the Santa Anita Handicap in March and the Gold Cup at Santa Anita in May.

There was a lot of buzz about Lava Man in 2006 when he arrived with victories in the Big Cap and then-Hollywood Gold Cup. The 5-year-old former claimer created quite a sensation winning the Pacific Classic to complete the sweep of California’s biggest handicaps in one year.

Times have changed, however. The $600,000 Santa Anita Handicap gets passed over frequently by horses headed to the $6 million Dubai World Cup. The $500,000 Gold Cup can get lost in the wake of the Triple Crown series with its spot nearing the end of the long Santa Anita meeting. The TVG Pacific Classic is now the only $1 million race of the three major Southern California circuit handicap events.

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 07-18-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #90
chiguy

Quote:

Andy, I don't know you and I appreciate your love for the game but sometimes we disagree about what is the best course of action to try and improve it, bring new players in etc. However I have to tell you that the union did not blindside Del Mar. Somebody may be telling you that but the expiration of the union contract was set for the day before Del Mar. That has been known for years, not kidding---- years. The union has been trying to bargain for months regarding the new contract. I don't know the inside story of what the hold ups are but as far as Del Mar goes they did know about it. Del Mar and their management team have always been the absolute best group of folks in racing to deal with. I can tell you that if all the tracks had management like they have there, we would never have an issue with labor.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: