Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
bello
Veteran

Creativity + Big Purses= Kentucky Downs

I was not able to be there in person this year but I have not missed a single race. Watching that is...not betting. Tough place to win for sure.

But what a great meet. Capped by a fantastic and creative mile and a half $10,000 starter allowance with a 50K purse. I believe starter handicaps and starter allowances for high purses are one of the best inventions in the game.

Drew 16 horses from a variety of different tracks.

That is how you draw horses.

Nice season swan song for a great race place!
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
Parson

I really like this track and it is so player friendly. If you have not been, you must. You can pack a chair and cooler. Admission is free so is parking.Lines are reasonable for the mutual clerks. The clerks are friendly and willing to help the novice.

The auto teller machines would be the only improvement I could recommend. They were difficult for me to use.

And I would be amiss if I did not mention being owner friendly. We did not have one ready to run there this year, but last year we ran 3 different times. They paid us 1k to ship in plus our purse money. And the purse money.....we all know how good that it is.
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #3
bello
Veteran

Yep, maybe we even met there last year. I place my chair near the paddock anf never miss the walking ring. Met lots of owners who had horses in at some time during the day. Great conversation and comeraderie, even though I am not an owner, just a bettor and fan.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

I think the track itself especially the rails is/are very dangerous. Uneven surface and the track shape must make it a challenge on the horses and jockeys. I like the big fields and pools are great but it comes with a price. The races are more like a decathalon. Not my favorite track. Pass.
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
craigbraddick

Horses run on tracks like that all over the world every day and at distances sometimes exceeding 4 miles. Zippychippy, are you saying American trained horses are not up to it?
Old 09-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
Nitro

From a player’s perspective you couldn’t ask for more: Great cards with big fields and generally good value.
As far as the track itself goes its not the pristine turf course found in Hong Kong, but I certainly wouldn’t describe it as “dangerous” what-so-ever.

BTW we’ve been posting some “Live” selections and having reasonably decent success:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...=147276&page=9
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #7
bello
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
From a player’s perspective you couldn’t ask for more: Great cards with big fields and generally good value.
As far as the track itself goes its not the pristine turf course found in Hong Kong, but I certainly wouldn’t describe it as “dangerous” what-so-ever.

BTW we’ve been posting some “Live” selections and having reasonably decent success:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...=147276&page=9
Missed the selection page. I'll join in today an make a fool of myself.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #8
Thomas Roulston

But why didn't they let all 16 run? When the Breeders' Cup was held at Woodbine in 1996, their jockey club requested permission to run 20-horse fields in the turf races. The request was denied.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #9
bello
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
But why didn't they let all 16 run? When the Breeders' Cup was held at Woodbine in 1996, their jockey club requested permission to run 20-horse fields in the turf races. The request was denied.
Sometimes it is a tote system issue and they cannot handle that many entrants. Also may be a starting gate positioning issue.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:58 PM   #10
Thomas Roulston

Quote:
Originally Posted by bello View Post
Sometimes it is a tote system issue and they cannot handle that many entrants. Also may be a starting gate positioning issue.

If the tote can only accommodate 12 betting interests the track can always bring back the old-school mutuel fields. As for starting gates, don't Abu Dhabi, Dubai etc. use 16-horse gates? And with the increased handle that larger fields would bring, sooner or later the gate would pay for itself. Of course large fields would not be desirable if a race starts too close to the turn, but that's a separate issue entirely.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2018, 08:43 PM   #11
thaskalos

A 5-day meet, and everyone gushes over it as if it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Kentucky Downs markets itself as if it's a national industry leader, when the reality is that the track is nothing more than a racing novelty. Have they done anything to fix those funky camera angles this year? I go on HorseTourneys, and the Kentucky Downs tournaments practically DOMINATE that site. Everybody loves a gimmick, I guess. To me, it's an altogether forgettable experience...and I am glad that it's over before I can even take notice of it.

Last edited by thaskalos; 09-15-2018 at 08:46 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2018, 09:16 PM   #12
Immortal6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
A 5-day meet, and everyone gushes over it as if it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Kentucky Downs markets itself as if it's a national industry leader, when the reality is that the track is nothing more than a racing novelty. Have they done anything to fix those funky camera angles this year? I go on HorseTourneys, and the Kentucky Downs tournaments practically DOMINATE that site. Everybody loves a gimmick, I guess. To me, it's an altogether forgettable experience...and I am glad that it's over before I can even take notice of it.
I've only been playing for about 2 years now, didn't play KD last year but played every day this year and I made a killing. I had something like a 1.70 roi thanks to some nice exactas. The track touts that it has full fields and the lowest takeout of any track, so who gives a crap if it's a novelty?

We are all entitled to our opinions, and mine is that racing needs more meets like this one. Everyone likes to bitch about small fields and high takeout so this meet should be a breath of fresh air to anyone that loves turf handicapping.

I will agree that they need to do something about the camera angle coming down the stretch however. So difficult to judge who is closing, who is fading, who is in the lead etc...
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #13
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
That doesn't surprise me. If a top horse got in trouble in a 20 horse field, the BC would never hear the end of it.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #14
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
As I have said in many conversations, not everything in horse racing is designed to please you.

If you don't like KD, there are other options.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #15
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
As I have said in many conversations, not everything in horse racing is designed to please you.

If you don't like KD, there are other options.
Sorry...I didn't realize that this thread is for favorable reviews only. Carry on, counselor.