Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #1
burnsy
self medicated

Florent Geroux

Riding like a madman. Good sign for later. The world is seeing how good this guy is!
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
FrankieFigs
The 19th Hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
Riding like a madman. Good sign for later. The world is seeing how good this guy is!
Had a breakout meet at Kentucky Downs last year. He is a solid rider who has a ton of upside. I like him, too.

I'm banking on him to handle his maiden voyage in the Derby quite well. Hope he proves me right....
Old 05-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #3
mannyberrios
easygoer

This guy has a bright future
mannyberrios is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2016, 12:30 PM   #4
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyberrios
This guy has a bright future
He's an old-fashioned working man........took mounts on 13 races

Guess he wanted to sleep in-- took the 1st race off.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #5
Valuist

This guy has been an excellent rider for several years. Great ROI in the Breeders Cups with 20-1 wins on Work all Week and Mongolian Saturday. But nobody pays attention to Arlington these days so he was under the radar.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #6
FrankieFigs
The 19th Hole

25% winners and $3.3 million in earnings at the Fairgrounds this winter....

Last edited by FrankieFigs; 05-07-2016 at 01:28 PM.
FrankieFigs is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
olddaddy

If his summer base is going to be AP again, Im really baffled.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #8
FrankieFigs
The 19th Hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFigs
Had a breakout meet at Kentucky Downs last year. He is a solid rider who has a ton of upside. I like him, too.

I'm banking on him to handle his maiden voyage in the Derby quite well. Hope he proves me right....
I wasn't disappointed. I thought he rode a solid race. Gun Runner broke well and wanted to go; he didn't put a stranglehold on him and let him run his race.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:53 PM   #9
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFigs
I wasn't disappointed. I thought he rode a solid race. Gun Runner broke well and wanted to go; he didn't put a stranglehold on him and let him run his race.
Agreed.
The horse ran his race.
FG rode him just fine - the winner was better.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2016, 10:32 PM   #10
Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddaddy
If his summer base is going to be AP again, Im really baffled.
Churchill then Saratoga this summer. Might be at Arlington for the few bigger days of stakes racing they have.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2016, 10:58 PM   #11
v j stauffer

If I either owned or bet on the horse he rode in the 14th race I would be furious.

That horse was ridden like by rider who seemed to be saying to himself. I've had a huge weekend. Let me get today over with, get out of dodge, and most importantly DON'T GET HURT.

He moved about a half hour too early. He was drawn on the rail but somehow found himself in the cozy 17 path. Passed the entire field but of course flattened out and was pushed through the lane by a jock riding his 13th race of the day.

Horses get beat everyday for a myriad of reasons. But when a horse runs that huge and loses to two inferior horses because the ride was phoned in by a guy who didn't give a shit that's not OK.

Stuff like that will make a trainer or owner madder than almost anything. They will say if you don't want to ride my horse fine. I'll get somebody that does.

Who's to say that race and that horse wasn't somebody's most important of the weekend?

If you're too tired or not motivated no one will knock you for taking off. In fact nobody will remember or care.

That's 100 times better than the crap we got.

Tragic!!!
Old 05-07-2016, 11:35 PM   #12
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
If I either owned or bet on the horse he rode in the 14th race I would be furious.

That horse was ridden like by rider who seemed to be saying to himself. I've had a huge weekend. Let me get today over with, get out of dodge, and most importantly DON'T GET HURT.

He moved about a half hour too early. He was drawn on the rail but somehow found himself in the cozy 17 path. Passed the entire field but of course flattened out and was pushed through the lane by a jock riding his 13th race of the day.

Horses get beat everyday for a myriad of reasons. But when a horse runs that huge and loses to two inferior horses because the ride was phoned in by a guy who didn't give a shit that's not OK.

Stuff like that will make a trainer or owner madder than almost anything. They will say if you don't want to ride my horse fine. I'll get somebody that does.

Who's to say that race and that horse wasn't somebody's most important of the weekend?

If you're too tired or not motivated no one will knock you for taking off. In fact nobody will remember or care.

Tragic!!!

$10 to win $5 to place...

Same connections (Ramsey/Maker/Geroux) took the 5th on Friday, and I thought I found a bargain at 8-1 on this one. Gates open, looked like the 1 stopped, and walked into the re-start. He did make a nice WIDE threatening move on the turn, but yeah, Geroux had much the best horse in the get out.

Last edited by Tall One; 05-07-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #13
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer

Tragic!!!
Strongly disagree with this critique - if this horse stays on the rail all the way through the turn, tell me exactly where during the race you see him getting out & unleashing a winning run? There were 8 bunched up horses in front of him through a moderate pace, and it was a split second decision to make that wide move & I hardly think it was a rider phoning it in & instead trying to make an aggressive winning move. Nobody's gonna see a rider swing 6 wide & say what a brilliant ride, but I hardly think it was a bad try.

This horse in question, Hint of Roses, is starting to make a consistent habit of making good riders look bad. Several times now he's been that horse where if only he got a good ride he would've been the winner. He's been hyped up off his work in the morning & he's a pretty decent horse, but thinking he might be one of those to avoid on the win end until he shows a little more killer instinct.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #14
Valuist

The outer paths may have been better anyways at CD on Saturday, at least in the stretch.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #15
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
The outer paths may have been better anyways at CD on Saturday, at least in the stretch.

Chart said 9 wide on the turn, and stayed in that path down the lane. Despite that, was a head+ in front, but couldn't hold off the inside runners.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply