Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-09-2018, 10:50 PM   #136
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2018, 11:00 PM   #137
Andy Asaro

Old 07-09-2018, 11:01 PM   #138
Andy Asaro

Old 07-10-2018, 06:33 AM   #139
reckless
Veteran

Wonderful selection ... each of the three frontrunners -- Barrett and Hardiman, too -- were perfect for patriots and citizens and the future of this Once Again Great America.

And then there will be the death of Ruth Ginsberg -- I do not wish her any ill health, of course, but death is the only way she's leaves the Court now -- and Clarence Thomas' future retirement... which means President Donald John Trump eventually selects at least four Supreme Court Justices!

Thank God we have Donald Trump!
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2018, 08:21 AM   #140
Clocker

Protesters in front of the Supreme Court building yesterday were chanting, "The pick's going down." That's all they could chant, because "the pick" had not been announced. Hundreds of people waiting around for someone, anyone, to tell them what they should think.

Reminds me of the Lil' Abner comic strip of years ago. Every once in a while, someone from Dogpatch would go into the city, and there was always a protest going on. The group protesting was called SWINE (Students Wildly Indignant about Nearly Everything).
Old 07-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #141
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
Wonderful selection ... each of the three frontrunners -- Barrett and Hardiman, too -- were perfect for patriots and citizens and the future of this Once Again Great America.

And then there will be the death of Ruth Ginsberg -- I do not wish her any ill health, of course, but death is the only way she's leaves the Court now -- and Clarence Thomas' future retirement... which means President Donald John Trump eventually selects at least four Supreme Court Justices!

I'm glad the Republic is saved,although I couldn't remember and had to look up the name of Trump's first Supreme Court appointment because the fellow has had such a POWERFUL IMPACT on my life. I (and you should also be) am more concerned with the mounting federal debt and the ongoing trade wars,neither of which will end well.

And who says my main man Clarence is retiring?

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #142
davew

Quote:

maybe Ruth will remember her desire to retire to New Zealand.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #143
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Protesters in front of the Supreme Court building yesterday were chanting, "The pick's going down." That's all they could chant, because "the pick" had not been announced. Hundreds of people waiting around for someone, anyone, to tell them what they should think.

Reminds me of the Lil' Abner comic strip of years ago. Every once in a while, someone from Dogpatch would go into the city, and there was always a protest going on. The group protesting was called SWINE (Students Wildly Indignant about Nearly Everything).
just goes to show that the more things change, the more they stay the same.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #144
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
I'm glad the Republic is saved,although I couldn't remember and had to look up the name of Trump's first Supreme Court appointment because the fellow has had such a POWERFUL IMPACT on my life. I (and you should also be) am more concerned with the mounting federal debt and the ongoing trade wars,neither of which will end well.

You should be very glad that President Donald John Trump has saved America.

Pappy Bush, Bill Clinton, G.W. Bush and Barry Obama all did their best to destroy the country and they almost succeeded.

Trump's first Supreme Court selection's name is Neal Gorsuch and it is a positive that he has not impacted your life -- which is testament of the true role of the US Supreme Court and the Justices on it: to interpret the US Constitution and NOT make laws.

The growing US deficit is a concern of mine but until it hits at 130-140 percent of GDP, the slobs in Congress will do nothing to slow it down, much less stop it. It's the biggest risk to US sovereignty and national security, no question about it.

Trade wars? Don't tell me you're falling for this scare mongering stupidity pushed by the same sorts that caused this trade inbalance in the first place? Namely, corrupt politicians--mostly GOP slugs-- the anti-American worker, the large Fortune 500 multi-nationals, and the hate democracy criminals and speculators on Wall Street who run the Central Banks world-wide.

We are winning the alleged 'trade wars' as I type this. That's OK if you'd rather believe the ill-informed and dull thinking financial press and not me, but you shouldn't.

When Trump announced he was running for President, one of the three pillars of his candidacy was trade and how he was going to renegotiate the onerous trade deals with China. Those that paid attention knew this was a campaign promise of his, and an important issue in the election.

Yet the stock market today is all jumpy because of headlines and 'journalists' saying the USA cannot win any trade 'war' with China -- .

Look what has happened to the stock prices of four major companies that are proxies of US/China trade: Boeing, Caterpillar, John Deere and Apple.

On 11-3-16 Boeing traded at $139 or so; at 10 o'clock this morning it trades at $346;

On 11-3-16 Caterpillar traded at $81 or so; at 10 o'clock this morning it trades at $141;

On 11-3-16 John Deere traded at $88 or so; at 10 o'clock this morning it trades at $145;

On 11-3-16 Apple traded at $107 or so; at 10 o'clock this morning it trades at $190.

Amazing isn't it. So, if the media and business smarty pants said it's bad for the USA to implement tariffs on China and get into a trade 'war' why then did these companies go up so, so much? These are proxies for America companies that do big time business in China. The financial media is truly clueless, mark my words.

Finally, in the summer of 2016 it was reported that Clarence Thomas was considering retirement. In the report he said that he didn't want stay on the Court until he died. He's the greatest of our Justices and a true successor to Antonin Scalia. I am very glad he's still on the Court now but it should not surprise anyone if he does indeed decide to retire in 2019 or so (or until after this election coming up in 2018).
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #145
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Assuming he is confirmed, Kavanaugh's interpretation of the law
may not pander to the conservative lobby. At least, not on all issues.
Not expecting him to.
Expecting him to be impartial and work strictly within the scope of his role and only interpret the law,not make it. ALL of the Black Knights on the KK Kourt violate that from time to time and I have no problem calling any of them out on it.

The court is a dangerous thing, people serving for life,m unaccountable to anyone. Not at all the thing a free society needs. The history of the justices is an embarrassment. Many very low-rent people have served/are serving on it.
It is not an institution deserving of much respect. I can only conclude that after months of long days writing the constitution, the FF kicked back, smoked a little weed, took a little snuff, and then threw in a joke to close it all out

But we are stuck with it, so the least we can do is keep it away from the children (dems).

One thing is for sure - we need limits on the terms of the justices.
NO ONE can reliably sit on that bench while their mind rots away and just keep on deciding how millions of people live. It is an insult to the nation.

The court is a great idea, horribly executed.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #146
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
He has been offered a job at the Coca Cola Compnay as a consultant for the new product, Coke + !!
Old 07-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #147
Clocker

Quote:

When Trump announced he was running for President, one of the three pillars of his candidacy was trade and how he was going to renegotiate the onerous trade deals with China. Those that paid attention knew this was a campaign promise of his, and an important issue in the election.

Yet the stock market today is all jumpy because of headlines and 'journalists' saying the USA cannot win any trade 'war' with China -- .

Look what has happened to the stock prices of four major companies that are proxies of US/China trade: Boeing, Caterpillar, John Deere and Apple.

The stock market is not the real world economy. Protective tariffs can be very good for corporate profits, but at the expense of the American consumer. Ask the companies that user steel and lumber as an input, or their customers, what they think about this great victory. Tariffs are taxes that eventually get passed on to consumers. By many estimates, the ultimate costs to lower earning workers could more than offset their recent tax cuts.

Despite all the rhetoric about free but fair trade, you can't have both. What is "fair" in the eyes of one person is not free.

How are his other pillars coming along, like repeal and replace ObamaCare, or build a wall and have Mexico pay for it?
Old 07-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #148
elysiantraveller

This whole thing is much ado about nothing.

Conservative jurist steps down and is replaced by another conservative jurist.

Both sides need to pop some xanax... the sky is not falling nor has America been delivered to some "promised land."
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2018, 11:16 AM   #149
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Our term life insurance was just paid off.

Trump! Everyone gets TWO ladles of GRAVY!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #150
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
This whole thing is much ado about nothing.

Conservative jurist steps down and is replaced by another conservative jurist.

Both sides need to pop some xanax... the sky is not falling nor has America been delivered to some "promised land."
Pretty sure only one side needs the Xanax at this point.

Even Ingraham on her show last night was saying...this isn't really going to change much considering Kavanaugh is going to probably be more like his mentor Kennedy than some right-wing fascist (she didn't use those words).