Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-27-2018, 02:31 PM   #31
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
If a settlement is reached, my bet would be that the Peace Prize committee would bitch-slap Trump and give the prize to the leaders of the two countries, Kim and Moon.
Absolutely that is the way it will happen. Let's not worry about Trump though. He'll pat himself on the back regardless. I say that with a smile. You have to allow Trump his self back slapping, and if you can stomach that, you'll see he's a pretty forward thinking leader.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 02:32 PM   #32
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
Heard they their lost top scientists and staff in this mountain collapse caused by ?
The largest nuclear blast they had ever created. Back in October I believe.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #33
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
China is quiet, but feel they are actually a big player in the final outcome. I would imagine the private talks they had with Kim a few weeks ago was to let him know what their expectations were of him.
China is still the biggest player in the North. While North Korea often acts on its own, it would collapse without Chinese aid. And China would also support the NorK desire for a much smaller US presence in the South. China doesn't want a reunified Korea under a strong western influence.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #34
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Let's not worry about Trump though. He'll pat himself on the back regardless. I say that with a smile.
You mean like this?

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

KOREAN WAR TO END! The United States, and all of its GREAT people, should be very proud of what is now taking place in Korea!
Old 04-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #35
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Star Gregg View Post
I'm not a fan (far from it) of the Morning Joe hosts but please verify information before you pass it off as fact.
Like CNN does? Ok I got it from unnamed sources
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #36
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Ladies and Gentlemen, the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize for 2018 is.......PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP!

Old 04-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #37
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek View Post
I’ve been thinking about changing my name to Unnamed Sources. I’d become very famous, and maybe get a TV gig.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:20 PM   #38
elysiantraveller

It will be interesting. I'm curious to see what happens but a ill advised "spike the football" moment is still certainly possible.

This noble prize talk is quite funny though. Out of all the players so far who could be named for a Peace Prize it's probably one of the adults in the room like Moon not Trump.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #39
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Out of all the players so far who could be named for a Peace Prize it's probably one of the adults in the room like Moon not Trump.
President Xi of China is playing as big a role in this as Trump, but keeping a low profile. North Korea acts like a mad dog at times, but it is still on a leash.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #40
HalvOnHorseracing

Three things

o Kim is not to be trusted

o North Korea is a buffer between the West and China. I don't believe China and its President for Life, Xi Jinping, will let NK go too far in terms of its relationship with South Korea and the United States. China is North Korea's primary trading partner and they will have plenty to say about any deals NK is considering. Ending the Korean War was as much symbolic as significant.

o North Korea is a shithole. People are starving and life is as hard as it is anywhere. Sooner or later you have to believe the North Korean people would get to the point where they have nothing to lose and revolt against Kim. Before the internet, it wasn't that hard to brainwash the population, but sooner or later the North Korean people will realize how much they are getting screwed. Maybe Kim realizes that being lord of the shithole isn't as great as it may sound.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #41
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
President Xi of China is playing as big a role in this as Trump, but keeping a low profile. North Korea acts like a mad dog at times, but it is still on a leash.
I've said it before all the players are playing their hands pretty well.

North Korea appears to have the most leverage though... it's very hard to ascertain what is going on back-channel with China but even there they have the leverage.

China and the region for that matter can't afford to lose the regime. It has little option but to prop it up.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 04-27-2018 at 05:17 PM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 05:46 PM   #42
Clocker

Quote:

North Korea appears to have the most leverage though... it's very hard to ascertain what is going on back-channel with China but even there they have the leverage.

China and the region for that matter can't afford to lose the regime. It has little option but to prop it up.
For all the buzz, North Korea hasn't given up anything yet. All they have agreed to is to stop nuke and missile tests. They have operational nukes, and the fiasco at their test site shut them down anyway, so they are posing as good guys about that. Their ICBM program "capable of hitting" Washington was just trash talk from the beginning. Their goal was to get nukes with a delivery system capable of hitting South Korea, and if necessary, other US bases in the area. They have that now.

China likes having NK play the bad guy role in the area, so they look reasonable and statesman like by comparison. And China does not want a free, capitalist society on its border.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:24 PM   #43
Baron Star Gregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek View Post
You can be part of the problem or part of the solution. Take your pick.
Baron Star Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 06:29 PM   #44
woodtoo

Quote:
I've said it before all the players are playing their hands pretty well.

What is this 'leverage' North Korea has again?
Behave or be blown to pieces is not really leverage. They have the least leverage. IMO
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #45
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Star Gregg View Post
You can be part of the problem or part of the solution. Take your pick.
He is far from fake news.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply