Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
Bennie

Credit for 5 1/2?

I have a question that I told a friend of mine that I could get an answer to if I posted it here. We were handicapping a race last week that was 5 1/2 furlongs on the turf. There was a horse that ran on the turf at 5 furlongs last race and showed no lifetime races at today's distance. Then there were 2 other horses that ran 5 furlongs on the dirt last time and both showed ITM finish at today's distance. These were maiden horses that only ran 2 or 3 times and none actually ran at 5 1/2. Can anyone explain why 2 were credited with races at 5 1/2?
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie View Post
I have a question that I told a friend of mine that I could get an answer to if I posted it here. We were handicapping a race last week that was 5 1/2 furlongs on the turf. There was a horse that ran on the turf at 5 furlongs last race and showed no lifetime races at today's distance. Then there were 2 other horses that ran 5 furlongs on the dirt last time and both showed ITM finish at today's distance. These were maiden horses that only ran 2 or 3 times and none actually ran at 5 1/2. Can anyone explain why 2 were credited with races at 5 1/2?
Was the turf race in the PP’s run at an “about" distance?
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #3
thaskalos

I have a question of my own:

What possessed you to try and handicap such a race in the first place? Aren't there enough OTHER races out there to spend your time on?
Old 08-07-2018, 06:48 PM   #4
bobphilo

Quote:
Who the heck credited the 2 horses with races at a distance none of them ran? Not that the measly half furlong distance makes much difference.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
mowens33
A man hears what he wants

Wink

Quote:
I’ve seen it before, it’s very confusing? Hope some has the answer!
mowens33 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2018, 12:44 AM   #6
BMustang

It's a very flawed system.

The distance of 1 mile encompasses one turn miles, two turn miles, one turn 1/16 and two turn 1-40yards and 1-70 yards races.

Obviously, these are very different races.

I'm sure that 5f and 5 1/2f are grouped together.
BMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2018, 01:09 AM   #7
BMustang

It's a very flawed system.

The distance of 1 mile encompasses one turn miles, two turn miles, one turn 1/16 and two turn 1-40yards and 1-70 yards races.

Obviously, these are very different races.

I'm sure that 5f and 5 1/2f are grouped together.
BMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2018, 01:12 AM   #8
dlivery

Hey there good question

Any one of those horses
Were they in contention at the first call or 2nd call
dlivery is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2018, 03:13 AM   #9
jay68802

I assume you are looking at the horses lifetime record.

This is distance and surface of today's race + or - 1/2 furlong. If a horse has ran the distance on a different surface, it will not show.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2018, 06:39 AM   #10
Mulerider

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post

This is distance and surface of today's race + or - 1/2 furlong. If a horse has ran the distance on a different surface, it will not show.
Pretty sure this is correct, at least with Brisnet.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

What track, race, date, and PPs?
Pretty sure 5 and 5.5 are grouped together, but not dirt and turf.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #12
Hapman

I'm not sure why but does the 1/2 furlong make that big of a difference?
Hapman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

It can.
For some, it turns the race into a marathon!
Old 08-08-2018, 01:14 PM   #14
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapman View Post
I'm not sure why but does the 1/2 furlong make that big of a difference?
There have always been those horses that are very dangerous at a mile, but make them run 1 1/16, and they're auto tosses.

I'm pretty certain 5 and 5 1/2 are grouped together.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2018, 05:43 PM   #15
Bennie

Sorry for the delay following up but the wife had a grant to work on and that takes priority over my surfing every day of the week. Anyway, first of all let me address thaskalos, my friend was looking at the race because it was in a pick-4 sequence and some of the things he looks at are races at today's distance, surface and track they are running. I assure you there would be no other reason I would even give it a glance except for the fact he asked me if I knew why 2 horses were given credit for running at the distance and a third was not although all 3 ran at 5 furlongs and none at 5 1/2. I don't remember exactly what race it was or where because it was 2 weekends ago, had a senior moment and forgot to ask here and was reminded when I saw him last Saturday. My first thoughts were the dirt races and the turf were at different tracks and there could have been longer run ups or some of the races could have been "about" distances. I was just curious as to what others thought the reasoning might be and bragged a little that besides many knowledgeable handicappers who visit here so does "the little guy" and he might add his thoughts. My friend was using the DRF, which I don't, so I don't have any information to fall back on. Thanks to all who put in their 2 cents and if I should come across another race like this I will provide more detail and maybe we can come up with an answer I can pass on.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: