Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-28-2018, 10:27 PM   #16
ElKabong

Thask...When Clemens pitched for the longhorns I thought he was the best pitcher in the game, save Steve Carlton. He was that good. He came from a modest upbringing, he wouldn't have had the expendable cash for PEDs which were quite expensive in the early 80s.

The University wouldn't have funded PEDs for baseball players in that era. Football? Yeah maybe. But not baseball. We led the NCAA in attendance for baseball a few times back then but that program barely covered budget.

My strong suggestion is he didn't juice until he had a few MLB paycheck under his belt. Can I prove it? No. I can't prove a lot of things either but once in awhile I can add two and two.

I may also add, his hyper aggressive (on the mound and in the dugout ) temperament didn't go sour until he was in the league for a couple of years. Back then, that was a good indicator of roid use
ElKabong is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #17
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The unfortunate thing is that there is no clear indication of when Roger Clemens started juicing. But there is irrefutable evidence that steroids were a part of MLB long before the drug problem received headline attention. For instance, former MLB pitcher Tom House, who also became an author and pitching coach, admitted that he "used steroids that they wouldn't give to a horse"...during his playing career. Performance-enhancing drug use was RAMPANT during his playing career, House said...and he played from 1971-1978! To quote Tom House:

"At least six or seven pitchers on every team were at least experimental users of steroids and growth hormone. In fact, after losses, the players would frequently joke that they had been out-milligrammed, rather than beaten."

Where is the real proof that Roger was juicing only during the latter part of his playing career?
Why this surprises anyone, I don't know.

Steroids have been around since the 50s and 60s....that's why I have written in the past the things I have about horses in the 70s...you know, the year we had three TC winners...and Secretariat...could it be PE drugs were starting to find their way into racing during the 70s?

A lot of people refuse to believe it...but I think it's not only entirely possible, but quite probable...

So baseball players in the 70s experimenting with it...totally believable...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #18
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Thask...When Clemens pitched for the longhorns I thought he was the best pitcher in the game, save Steve Carlton. He was that good. He came from a modest upbringing, he wouldn't have had the expendable cash for PEDs which were quite expensive in the early 80s.

The University wouldn't have funded PEDs for baseball players in that era. Football? Yeah maybe. But not baseball. We led the NCAA in attendance for baseball a few times back then but that program barely covered budget.

My strong suggestion is he didn't juice until he had a few MLB paycheck under his belt. Can I prove it? No. I can't prove a lot of things either but once in awhile I can add two and two.

I may also add, his hyper aggressive (on the mound and in the dugout ) temperament didn't go sour until he was in the league for a couple of years. Back then, that was a good indicator of roid use
ElKabong...I honestly can't see the pro-Clemens point that you are trying to make. If, as you state above, you feel that there indeed was a "good indication" that Clemens was using steroids after being in the league for "a couple of years", then...how can you say that he was HOF-worthy before his steroid use? Do a couple of great years make for a Hall-Of-Fame career?
Old 02-02-2018, 07:57 AM   #19
lamboguy

my mother was in the hospital in the oncology wing and Roger Clemons was in the very next room. his kids came to visit him when he was in the hospital and i saw him with an elbow the size of a football. 2 weeks later he was pitching a game as an over 2-1 favorite. i bet the other team and Clemons got belted around in the 3 innings he pitched. i won my bet! but the opposite side of the coin happened to me years before with Dennis Eckersly. i saw him on a Saturday night in a bar called Daisy Buchannon's. at 2:00 a.m. the man was completely smashed and he is listed to pitch against the Twins (who could hit a baseball back then) at 1:00 p.m. Sunday. i bet on the Twins, the Eck pitched the whole game and won 2-1.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #20
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Why this surprises anyone, I don't know.

Steroids have been around since the 50s and 60s....that's why I have written in the past the things I have about horses in the 70s...you know, the year we had three TC winners...and Secretariat...could it be PE drugs were starting to find their way into racing during the 70s?

A lot of people refuse to believe it...but I think it's not only entirely possible, but quite probable...

So baseball players in the 70s experimenting with it...totally believable...
Steroids were around but nowhere near mainstream. It was basically bodybuilders and some Olympic athletes. You didn't see MLB players with legs the size of tree trunks in the 1970s. I wasn't following racing in the 70s so I can't really comment, but I know we used to see horses run on 10-14 days rest frequently, and some horses would run 20 times in a year during the eighties. With drugs far more rampant, we don't see that anymore.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: