Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
David-LV
Veteran

TVG-Late DD Show?

TVG finally hits a home run with a promotion and now they won't be back with the late DD show on Friday nights at DMR until Friday August 24th, this is a very strange group.

_______
David-LV
David-LV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Nice double tonight.
But then, Christine always looks good.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
Al Gobbi

I thought they were suppose to do the show weekly until the DMR meet ended? Wonder why the sudden change?
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gobbi
I thought they were suppose to do the show weekly until the DMR meet ended? Wonder why the sudden change?
That is a good question, I hope that one of the TVG people that read these posts answers the question for us.

The late double show is an entertaining show that drives the handle, it is very hard to understand why TVG would put a winner on the shelf and miss 4 Friday nights at DMR.

You would think that DMR would be begging TVG to be there every Friday night with the late DD show.

_______
David-LV
Old 07-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
lamboguy

forget Del-Mar, Saratoga is where the action is! they don't need to do late double moves. Saratoga got it all, big fields, big purses, big action, good handicapper's Crist and Sterling, along with an excellent eye on horseflesh with Maggie. good food, and big crowds.

you just can't beat it!
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
forget Del-Mar, Saratoga is where the action is! they don't need to do late double moves. Saratoga got it all, big fields, big purses, big action, good handicapper's Crist and Sterling, along with an excellent eye on horseflesh with Maggie. good food, and big crowds.

you just can't beat it!
The two big problems i have with saratoga are the short fields that they have now in maiden 2yo races, and the awful view you get on dirt races on the backstretch and turn, it's fine once they head for home, but with the elevation of the turf course and the lower grandstand, it's almost impossible to follow most of the field on the dirt.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy

you just can't beat it!
Saratoga has ruined the great 2 yr old racing that they had in the past with these limited short fields, just 7 horses in their first pair of 2 year old races.
What happens when they get a couple of scratches in these races?
We will be down to 5 and 6 horses races.
You can take both Crist & Sterling and give them back to the indians with their 4 selections in each race.
It is not that hard when you give out 4 picks in a 7 horse race, is it?

_______
David-LV

Last edited by David-LV; 07-21-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-LV
Saratoga has ruined the great 2 yr old racing that they had in the past with these limited short fields, just 7 horses in their first pair of 2 year old races.
What happens when they get a couple of scratches in these races?
We will be down to 5 and 6 horses races.
You can take both Crist & Sterling and give them back to the indians with their 4 selections in each race.
It is not that hard when you give out 4 picks in a 7 horse race, is it?

_______
David-LV
Seriously?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The limit on horses is moronic. No other word apples.
Did you catch Pletcher's interview with Donna Brothers yesterday?
Makes sense. 8 horses makes no sense, unless you want to expand horseman welfare.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
Seriously?
SERIOUSLY !!!!!

Old 07-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
The limit on horses is moronic. No other word apples.
Did you catch Pletcher's interview with Donna Brothers yesterday?
Makes sense. 8 horses makes no sense, unless you want to expand horseman welfare.
I'm not disagreeing that this rule is dumb. It is. Now, considering field size nowadays, I'm not sure I'd be complaining about a couple of 7 horse fields (of mostly firsters) but to each his own.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Charli125

Quote:
That is a good question, I hope that one of the TVG people that read these posts answers the question for us.

The late double show is an entertaining show that drives the handle, it is very hard to understand why TVG would put a winner on the shelf and miss 4 Friday nights at DMR.

You would think that DMR would be begging TVG to be there every Friday night with the late DD show.

_______
David-LV
DMR would of course welcome the promotion. If it were up to them, which it should be, I'm sure the no-takeout promotion would still be in place. The TOC has the final approval authority though, so we can only guess what stupid reason they used to deny it.

At the end of the day, they(the TOC) fought for higher takeout, got higher takeout, and are not going to approve anything that makes higher takeout look bad. They'd rather watch handle go down each year than admit they were wrong.(DMR can sometimes be the exception due to being a boutique meet as well as some of the programs they've enacted, but overall CA handle is getting crushed.)

I think they were embarrassed that the DD did so well at Hollywood once the takeout was lowered, and despite it being good for them, they wouldn't allow DMR to use the same promotion. Shocking to me that the TOC membership doesn't see that their leadership is taking money out of their pockets in order to save face.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
SERIOUSLY !!!!!

It just seems silly (and stinks of jealousy) to act like Serling gives out 4 horses per race because he wants to. He HAS to for his job. But, if you listen to the pre race prattle or follow his tweets it's VERY obvious who he likes.

I have a serious question for you David. What is it that you like about horse racing? All you ever do is complain about it. Do you enjoy it at all anymore or are you just too old and jaded from all of the losing?
Old 07-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
Looks like someone needs a diaper change.

It just seems silly (and stinks of jealousy) to act like Serling gives out 4 horses per race because he wants to. He HAS to for his job. But, if you listen to the pre race prattle or follow his tweets it's VERY obvious who he likes.

I have a serious question for you David. What is it that you like about horse racing? All you ever do is complain about it. Do you enjoy it at all anymore or are you just too old and jaded from all of the losing?
When we talk about complaining, you are the pot calling the kettle black??????

________
David-LV

Last edited by David-LV; 07-21-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Good answer.