Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 11-13-2020, 07:01 PM   #1
Overlay

Death of Paul Hornung

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...-paul-hornung/

Paul Hornung, a member of the college and pro football halls of fame, who was the only Heisman Trophy winner to play for a team with a losing record (Notre Dame (2-8) in 1956), where he played on both offense and defense, and who went on to star for the Green Bay Packers under Vince Lombardi, has died at age 84 at his home in Louisville after a battle with dementia.

Last edited by Overlay; 11-13-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
Marshall Bennett

Wow...maybe my favorite player ever. All started when I was maybe 6 and was given a Paul Hornung football for Christmas. He won Heisman as a QB and played as a halfback at GB. Always a threat to throw. Also GB's placekicker till Don Chandler showed up. His 176 pts. scored in a season was a record held for several decades.
RIP...tough guy.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #3
FakeNameChanged

Paul scored five touchdowns in one game against the league leading Balt. Colts near the end of his career. It was the year after his suspension, and he wasn't even starting running back any longer. Lombardi had a hunch that Hornung's big money play would be there, when they needed it most. By coincidence it was that same day that Gale Sayers scored six touchdowns for the Bears. RIP.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
lamboguy

Paul Horning's drinking buddy and fellow gambler was a defensive end from Lawrence, Ma. named Bill Quinlan. during the off season, Quinlan worked as a groom for Jack Van Berg. at Rockingham Park.

Lombardi called Quinlan a bad influence for Hornung, and traded him to the Browns. i had met Quinlan at the track and he told his war stories about 40 years ago to my track buddies back then.

Hornung was an all time great, i wish i met him. RIP
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #5
Ruiner

Actually I had to find out who Paul Horning was because I'm a bit too young to know him. But I have a lot of respect for what he has achieved. There are some legendary pictures of him that were taken during the football game. RIP
Old 11-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #6
Tor Ekman

Great natural athlete from back in the days when athletes were made on the playing fields as a youth and not in the gym. RIP Golden Boy
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #7
pandy

I'm surprised that few NFL teams use the two running back set like Green Bay and other teams did. The way the Packers ran that power sweep was text book. Fullback Jim Taylor was a punishing runner and blocker and Hornung was also a versatile player who could do it all including pass and kick.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2020, 01:10 PM   #8
Marshall Bennett

Took a while, but I found an old 10 min. highlights film I'd watched years ago. Pretty much tells his story and shows his talent.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: