Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-18-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
Andy Asaro

This is what you get when you vote for Dems. Biden wants to forgive Student Loans

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #2
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Wow, it would be awesome if we got back to a place where we just debatd policies.

I agree, this is dumb...
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2020, 10:26 AM   #3
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBoyle View Post
Wow, it would be awesome if we got back to a place where we just debatd policies.

I agree, this is dumb...
On that we agree. All this will do is make universities immune to supply/demand economics at taxpayer expense. If you thought tuition was rising at an unreasonable rate before, just watch out for what it will be when the govt pays the bill. Just look at military spending to get a glimpse of waste. Also, why is every diploma valued the same? Do we really need to use public funds to have more philosophers walking around with 4 year degrees? History majors?
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2020, 11:38 AM   #4
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
On that we agree. All this will do is make universities immune to supply/demand economics at taxpayer expense. If you thought tuition was rising at an unreasonable rate before, just watch out for what it will be when the govt pays the bill. Just look at military spending to get a glimpse of waste. Also, why is every diploma valued the same? Do we really need to use public funds to have more philosophers walking around with 4 year degrees? History majors?
I agree. Unfortunately, the bolded part already happens, I think.

Along with the incentives for colleges to raise prices, my biggest issue with this is how do you compensate those who didn't go to college, or those who did but already paid off their loans?

All that said, of all places for government to "waste" money, directing it towards education or alternative training for those who don't want to go to college seems like one of the best ways to waste.
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2020, 12:36 PM   #5
OntheRail

If this should happen.... it's a bailout of the wealthy. Over 70% of loans are held by the rich who's families could afford to pay them back. And most are owed for feel good liberal and gender studie degrees that have little to no marketable value. So don't look at it as helping out the poor... no this is paying back the donor class. Totally against moves like this... people make choices and only learn from the consequence resulting from them.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
Actor
Librocubicularist

"This is what you get when you vote for Dems."

It's one of the things I wanted.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #7
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
"This is what you get when you vote for Dems."

It's one of the things I wanted.
As usual........you want to screw somebody else by having someone else pay
Old 11-18-2020, 02:19 PM   #8
lamboguy

isn't this the same thing as paying farmers not to farm, or giving large company's discounted loans and non paybacks, or tax credits or the mother of them all---THE FRACTIONAL BANKING SYSTEM.

i don't think the system survives with the give aways no matter who they go to.. i even question why i get social security, i have no business getting it, so i get it and give it all away now to wounded warriors or make a wish kids.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2020, 04:44 PM   #9
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
As usual........you want to screw somebody else by having someone else pay
It's called public education. Most people do not pay for the all the K - 12 education of their children. The cost is shared via taxation with people who have no children. This would just extend the principle by four years.

Didn't some presidential candidate (Michelle Bachman?) want to get rid of public education a few years back. Would you be in favor of that?
Old 11-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #10
Tor Ekman

So do people who have repaid their student loans get paid back?
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2020, 04:53 PM   #11
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
isn't this the same thing as paying farmers not to farm, ...
Eisenhower administration program (Republican). I think it's still around in some form.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:56 PM   #12
davew

This is great, and maybe 5 years of unemployment to recent grads who have not been able to find a job because of Trump virus and more for attendence at peaceful protests.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2020, 06:34 PM   #13
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
isn't this the same thing as paying farmers not to farm, or giving large company's discounted loans and non paybacks, or tax credits or the mother of them all---THE FRACTIONAL BANKING SYSTEM.

i don't think the system survives with the give aways no matter who they go to.. i even question why i get social security, i have no business getting it, so i get it and give it all away now to wounded warriors or make a wish kids.
How is this the same as paying farmers? Farmers aren't/weren't paid as a bailout.

Please elaborate on the discounted loans given to large companies.

I am also against most bailouts and give-aways. Social security is a far cry away from its original intended purpose.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:38 PM   #14
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
How is this the same as paying farmers? Farmers aren't/weren't paid as a bailout.

Please elaborate on the discounted loans given to large companies.

I am also against most bailouts and give-aways. Social security is a far cry away from its original intended purpose.
I really can not wait for the answer to this question.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2020, 06:43 PM   #15
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
It's called public education. Most people do not pay for the all the K - 12 education of their children. The cost is shared via taxation with people who have no children. This would just extend the principle by four years.

Didn't some presidential candidate (Michelle Bachman?) want to get rid of public education a few years back. Would you be in favor of that?
There is some merit in what you say but there is a big difference between getting a useful engineering degree at a community college and getting a useless degree in "Gender Studies" from an Ivy League school. I would not be opposed to some help for degrees in high demand fields from a reasonably priced school.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: