Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-16-2018, 05:27 PM   #7771
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
The sign was that he led me to a bible-believing church...
Circular reasoning strikes again.
__________________
Sapere aude
Actor is offline  
Old 08-16-2018, 05:47 PM   #7772
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 40,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Circular reasoning strikes again.
How is that possible? I asked specifically for that and answered specifically by leading me to one. I mean, c'mon...he could have led me to some JW kingdom hall or something, you know?
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 08-16-2018, 05:54 PM   #7773
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 40,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Is your dramatic fire and brimstone the 11th commandment?

How come all the other religions you know so much about without atually knowing anything about, not cover your eternal amnation?

Hint: The death and resurrection of Jesus is purely metaphorical.
As is "hell.

As is the surviving thematic fragments of both the Old and New Testament. You turn mental somersaults attempting to justify imagery as real. Can you prove a rose by any other name smells as sweet?

Like trying to absolutely proof the Disney Dumbo can really fly

Well...what do you know? I guess you found another unique teaching in biblical Christianity: No eternal damnation.

But are you surprised by this? Virtually the entire world is traveling the broad path that leads to hell -- and everyone is skipping along it like mindless, clueless sheep led to the slaughter house by the god of this world. So many are living in their own metaphorical realities which have little or nothing to do with spiritual reality, as revealed in scripture.
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 08-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #7774
hcap
Veteran
 
hcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 30,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Well...what do you know? I guess you found another unique teaching in biblical Christianity: No eternal damnation.

But are you surprised by this? Virtually the entire world is traveling the broad path that leads to hell -- and everyone is skipping along it like mindless, clueless sheep led to the slaughter house by the god of this world. So many are living in their own metaphorical realities which have little or nothing to do with spiritual reality, as revealed in scripture.
Skipping? No Dumbo flies.
hcap is offline  
Old 08-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #7775
thaskalos
Loitering with intent
 
thaskalos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 25,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Specific chapter and verse, please.
Isaiah 60:11...and 60:12

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...11&version=ESV

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...12&version=ESV
__________________
"A fool and his money...were lucky to get together in the first place."
-- Anonymous
thaskalos is offline  
Old 08-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #7776
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
How is that possible?
You wanted to believe. You're afraid to not believe. So afraid that, logic be damned, you will believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
I asked specifically for that and answered specifically by leading me to one. I mean, c'mon...he could have led me to some JW kingdom hall or something, you know?
How do you know he didn't? How do you know you didn't misunderstood? Maybe you were meant to be a JW but you prayed in the wrong church.
__________________
Sapere aude
Actor is offline  
Old 08-16-2018, 08:37 PM   #7777
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 40,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
You wanted to believe. You're afraid to not believe. So afraid that, logic be damned, you will believe.
No...I was willing to believe if he answered my prayer. You are not willing to believe, no matter what.

Quote:
How do you know he didn't? How do you know you didn't misunderstood? Maybe you were meant to be a JW but you prayed in the wrong church.
Because I know what JWs believe? And any resemblance between their doctrines and bible doctrines is purely coincidental.
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 08-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #7778
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 40,443
Okay...I thought it was probably that passage, but I asked because there are similar ones in scripture?

So...now that we have that straightened out, you made the accusation that "God lies". And you appeal to that passage as proof? What makes you think this passage isn't prophecy? And if prophecy, what makes you think it has or should have already come to pass? Has it occurred to you that the prophecy is yet to be fulfilled?
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 08-16-2018, 08:47 PM   #7779
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 40,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Skipping? No Dumbo flies.
Disappointed? You must be in a real hurry to get to Brimstone Lake.
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 08-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #7780
thaskalos
Loitering with intent
 
thaskalos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 25,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Okay...I thought it was probably that passage, but I asked because there are similar ones in scripture?

So...now that we have that straightened out, you made the accusation that "God lies". And you appeal to that passage as proof? What makes you think this passage isn't prophecy? And if prophecy, what makes you think it has or should have already come to pass? Has it occurred to you that the prophecy is yet to be fulfilled?
Is there no expiration date on these biblical prophecies? Must we wait for all eternity before we store them in the "fabrication" file...where they belong?
__________________
"A fool and his money...were lucky to get together in the first place."
-- Anonymous
thaskalos is offline  
Old 08-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #7781
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
No...I was willing to believe if he answered my prayer. You are not willing to believe, no matter what.
Just give me evidence.

And you're not will to learn, no matter what.

__________________
Sapere aude
Actor is offline  
Old 08-16-2018, 11:02 PM   #7782
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 4,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Disappointed? You must be in a real hurry to get to Brimstone Lake.
This “eternal life” that you claim is yours because of your faith in Christ and the power of his death on the cross is bizarre...how can any reasonable person think that they will “live forever”...? Not only that, aside from its impossibility, why would anyone want to...?

For years, I struggled with the idea of our mortality, until I realized that, indeed, there was no point in living forever, I mean what point COULD THERE POSSIBLY BE for living forever?

But since you are a firm believer in this “certainty”, at least for you anyway, maybe you can clue me in on the nature of such livelihood...I mean, how will you be occupying your (Time?) in Eternity...? There will no longer be any darkness, right...? No males or females, you’ll be like the angels, right...?

No work to do, I imagine...so no need to rest from your labours...
No pain, tears, or sickness...no funerals since Death has been vanquished...

No births either, I suppose, without males or females, that is...

So you are going to spend all Eternity flying around as a angel working on God’s next condo...? Please explain the appeal of why on earth I would want to be in this so called “paradise of Edenic glory”....? What will God have me doing next?

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 08-16-2018 at 11:05 PM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline  
Old 08-17-2018, 12:55 AM   #7783
hcap
Veteran
 
hcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 30,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
So you are going to spend all Eternity flying around as a angel working on God’s next condo...? Please explain the appeal of why on earth I would want to be in this so called “paradise of Edenic glory”....? What will God have me doing next?
At least you can eternally thank god for no hell and brimstone. Box will probably be running around reminding everyone, "see you got here. I won the argument" patting himself on the back. An ego that will never quit.

How many will want to remain?
hcap is offline  
Old 08-17-2018, 01:27 AM   #7784
Hank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Is there no expiration date on these biblical prophecies? Must we wait for all eternity before we store them in the "fabrication" file...where they belong?
In light of the way the mighty USA grovels before AIPAC, that may have been the wrong passage to cite.
Hank is offline  
Old 08-17-2018, 03:45 AM   #7785
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 4,553
Canaanite Influence Upon Jewish Sacrificial System

A fascinating and well-written Thesis, highly recommend reading this. Also great historical and biblical background material. Enjoy...!

https://archive.org/stream/canaanite...00hill#page/n1
VigorsTheGrey is offline  
Closed Thread




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2021 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.