Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #121
Charli125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gobbi
Getting the topic back on course, makes you wonder if stuff is on hold until Breon Corcoran decides if he want to make changes with TVG. He takes over as Betfair CEO next Wednesday.
I'll try to help you get it back on course, but I don't think our chances are very good!

Everyone I've talked to has said that TVG and DelMar requested that the promotion be continued. Everyone was for it, realized that it was a good idea, and saw that the carryover into other pools more than made up for the cost of the promotion.

It was the TOC that said no.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #122
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli125
I'll try to help you get it back on course, but I don't think our chances are very good!

Everyone I've talked to has said that TVG and DelMar requested that the promotion be continued. Everyone was for it, realized that it was a good idea, and saw that the carryover into other pools more than made up for the cost of the promotion.

It was the TOC that said no.
Why would the TOC say no to a promotion that was creating a growing interest and handle?

Judging from the past history of the TOC I guess I should be able to answer that question myself. Very short sighted.

________
David-LV
David-LV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #123
Charli125

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-LV
Why would the TOC say no to a promotion that was creating a growing interest and handle?

Judging from the past history of the TOC I guess I should be able to answer that question myself. Very short sighted.

________
David-LV

While I obviously wasn't in the room for the decision, my guess would be, because it makes them look bad. They're on record that higher takeout will increase purses, field size, and will "save CA horse racing". This just proves that they're 100% wrong like we've been telling them for several years now.

Because of the promotion there was more money for purses, more money for the track, more money in the players pockets, and more money for TVG despite paying the bonus to winners, all at no risk to anyone but TVG. There is no rational reason why they wouldn't approve this promotion.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #124
Al Gobbi

The TOC/CHRB is a bit nuts if they think GG and SA would be featured prominently on TVG if they ever got the signals on there. Santa Anita would probably get featured coverage when there is little content on TVG during the winter months, but I doubt TVG would bother to do GG unless they needed a filler track.

SA's races would also take a back seat to Aqueduct and Oaklawn in terms of live racing on TVG and possibly even the Meadowlands during the night period if there is not a stakes race at SA since it would be doubtful TVG would be able to do a live remote.
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #125
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
The TOC/CHRB is a bit nuts if they think GG and SA would be featured prominently on TVG if they ever got the signals on there. Santa Anita would probably get featured coverage when there is little content on TVG during the winter months, but I doubt TVG would bother to do GG unless they needed a filler track.

SA's races would also take a back seat to Aqueduct and Oaklawn in terms of live racing on TVG and possibly even the Meadowlands during the night period if there is not a stakes race at SA since it would be doubtful TVG would be able to do a live remote.
Nothing, and i mean NOTHING, comes before Cali racing on TVG.
No way on earth SA takes a back seat to Aqu or OP on TVG.
They have tape delayed 100k Stks in NY to show Mdn races live in Cali.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:31 AM   #126
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
I like kind of like TVG but you're absolutely right about the tape delayed 100k stakes race to show a Cali maiden race
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 02:45 AM   #127
Al Gobbi

Quote:
Big difference is Hollywood and Del Mar are preferred partners, that will not be the case with Santa Anita if the signal is shown and if they are not given a spot on-track for daily coverage outside of the big days of the meet. If they get a location on-site then they will treat it better - but remember Oak Tree 2009 when they had to share with HRTV - when they showed anything they could (BEL, WO, KEE and even select harness) over the OT signal outside of stakes races and BC week.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #128
usedtolovetvg

Quote:
It's all about the deal, baby. If SA pays TVG in some form like reducing fees or paying for production or expenses, that and that alone will determine where the tracks, SA and GG, will sit on the TVG priority ladder.
usedtolovetvg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #129
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtolovetvg
It's all about the deal, baby. If SA pays TVG in some form like reducing fees or paying for production or expenses, that and that alone will determine where the tracks, SA and GG, will sit on the TVG priority ladder.

This is laughable. Do you really think Stronach would give TVG one cent? Heck he won't even pay the cable and satellite carriers ten to twenty cents per subscriber to put them on their systems.

To top it off they have the audacity to charge $99 for a years coverage over the net. To me that is downright criminal no wonder they are in the position of having so few viewers.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #130
usedtolovetvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
This is laughable. Do you really think Stronach would give TVG one cent?
No I don't! TVG makes tracks pay BIG for the privilege of being on their network. As you say, Stronach won't pay a cent so his tracks will be relegated to stretch calls and tape delays.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #131
Al Gobbi

In 2012 it is much easier to put content online and get most of your audience (provided the video quality is good). Look at what NBC is doing with the Olympics - all sport events live online. This also doesn't included the fact if you have Dish and/or DTV the online feeds are more real time than those of TVG/HRTV.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #132
usedtolovetvg

Quote:
In 2012 it is much easier to put content online and get most of your audience (provided the video quality is good). Look at what NBC is doing with the Olympics - all sport events live online. This also doesn't included the fact if you have Dish and/or DTV the online feeds are more real time than those of TVG/HRTV.
Absolutely correct! Unfortunately, racing remains far behind the curve in being able to deliver content online, particularly mobile devices. It is laughable that TVG doesn't make their programming available online. And, even more laughable that HRTV believes that people will pay for their shows when the races are available in so many places for free.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #133
Canarsie

Quote:
Even Penn National has a live video feed for free.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #134
Al Gobbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtolovetvg
Exactly. Although I can see the TOC dangle this at BF as if you don't accept it - no exchange wagering talks further. While it may not (EW) be accepted next year, at least it would still be on the table for discussion.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #135
usedtolovetvg

The only chance that BF has for EW is if Breon Corcoran gets rid of Stephen Burn and Tony Allevato when he takes over BF this week. It would be tough to find two individuals that were so despised by an entire industry.