Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 01-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #1
Teach

Santa Anita: Monday, Jan. 21

Race One:

3 HOT ON THE TRAIL. On the “weeds” at 6 and ½ panels on the unusually-configured SA turf course. Although this Unusual Heat-bred filly has never raced on the grass, I believe she could end up in the SA winner’s circle. This gal won her last at Los Alamitos at six panels on the main. Yet, there’s even turf pedigree on both “the top” and “bottom,” i.e., Nureyev, Tale of the Cat, etc. to say that she can be a contender. She was claimed out of her last and now resides in a Mark Glatt barn. Glatt does very well with horses making their first start for him off a claim. This filly should be coming late. Her pilot, Brice Blanc, must time his move perfectly if this filly is going to get her picture taken. Others: 1, 2, 5.

Race Two:

5 GOLD ARROW is a Jerry Hollendorfer first-time starter in this 6-panels
MSW. The filly looks like she may want to go longer – she’s a half to Battle of Midway -- yet, having said that – she’s capable of winning at first asking. “El Dominicano,” Jo-el Rosario is in the irons. This gal’s dam, Rigoletta, had two winners from two starters, one stakes winner. Hollendorfer does well with first-time starters. Others: 1, 3, 2.

Race Three:

7 UNO TROUBLE MAKER set some quarter-horse fractions against a similar bunch last time. The race fell apart, and so did she, as those blistering early fractions took their toll. All things considered, she held on well in that one. In today’s race, there isn’t that much early foot. The fractions could be a little more leisurely. That could spell a different outcome for this Successful Appeal-bred 4-year old filly. Tiago Pereira is in the irons for trainer Bill Spawr. Others: 4, 1, 2.

Race Four:

I like four horses: 7, 9, 8, 5. This, in my opinion, is one of the better betting races. I’d be much surprised if there weren’t exotic possibilities, here. I’m leaning toward 5 RATHER NOSY. A drop out of MSW ranks into maiden-claimers is one of the biggest fall-off-the-cliff occurrences in thoroughbred racing. Yes, this bay is dropping out of the turf ranks and onto the main. What that portends I’m not quite certain. There is certainly enough main-track pedigree to get the job done. This filly’s trainer, Simon Callaghan, does extremely well in the maiden-to maiden claiming and first-time maiden claiming categories. Jo-el Rosario is in the irons.

Race Five:

6 AYACARA is my wake-up call hope in an 8-panels claimer, n2L. Early in his career, this Maedaglia d’Oro-bred was racing in stakes company. He finished 2nd in the Grade III RB Lewis. The potential is there. The question: Will it show itself? “The bug,” Assael Espinosa, is in the stirrups. His trainer, Vladamir Cerin, does well with horses entered in claiming races. Others: 2, 5, 1.

Race Six:

2 COURTEOUS gets mind in the 6 and ½ furlongs turf allowance. This Midnight Lute-bred is shortening up one and a-half panels off her last effort. Last November, she finished 2nd in the Grade III Jimmy Durante at Del Mar. This filly fits quite nicely in this field. Joe Talamo reprises the ride for trainer Richard Mandella. Mandella does well with horses entered in allowance races. Others: 6, 5, 1

Race Seven:

9 LIKE REALLY SMART drops out of the MSW ranks and in for “a tag”. This Grand Slam-bred gelding also moves outside. The experience of his initial race, the outside post and the drop out of the MSW ranks all bodes well for this 3-yeaqr old chestnut. Flavien Pratt for trainer Leonard Powell. Others: 8, 6, 5.

Race Eight:

7 The French-bred 7 LA SARDANE gets my nod in the Grade III Megahertz. This Neil Drysdale-conditioned horse has a lot of back-class. At one point, this 5-year old mare reeled off 3-straight wins. The switch to Rosario is a significant one. This gal is a solid turf horse. Others: 3, 4, 1.

Race Nine:

5 CHILL is a classy sort who’s been doing most of his running on the turf and AW surfaces. If this Artie Schiller-bred handles the Santa Anita turf, he can win. Joel Rosario for trainer Bill Morey. Others: 3, 7, 6.

Race Ten:

4 LADYMIDTOWN is my pick in the finale, a one-mile turf MSW race. The Midshipman-bred acquitted herself quite well in the 100k non-graded Surfer Girl. I believe she has the ability to get her picture taken. Joel Rosario is in the irons for trainer Doug O’Neil. Others: 3, 2, 6.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply