Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 05-21-2019, 05:31 PM   #106
MutuelClerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Football players are there for one reason - to play football.
Their opinions on anything should be kept to themselves.

That is what their days off are for.
Maybe in 1919 this was true. The world has changed. Then social media helped destroy the world. All athletes have opinions now. Women even vote these days. Sorry to tell you......
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2019, 03:38 AM   #107
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
You support the President, that's fine. I always support the President because I put our country before two shameful political parties. But letting a draft dodger define patriotism that's where we part ways. The pied piper plays and too many people fall in line behind him.........
A draft-dodger billionaire president in search of every "legal" loophole in order to avoid paying his taxes is fit to define 'patriotism', for us legally-underrepresented and tax-overburdened citizens? Truth is indeed stranger than fiction...
Old 05-22-2019, 11:51 AM   #108
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
A draft-dodger billionaire president in search of every "legal" loophole in order to avoid paying his taxes is fit to define 'patriotism', for us legally-underrepresented and tax-overburdened citizens? Truth is indeed stranger than fiction...
Does this mean that you try to pay as much tax as possible? I love the way people use the pejorative "loophole" to make seem that someone is doing something wrong by simply using the law.

You are younger than I am so you didn't experience the draft for the Vietnam war. I don't recall anybody that I knew who supported the war or wasn't trying to get a deferment of some kind. Trump was normal not someone who was looked upon with disgust.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #109
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Didn't need Trump to tell me that... the POS loser was obvious from Day 1.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #110
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Does this mean that you try to pay as much tax as possible? I love the way people use the pejorative "loophole" to make seem that someone is doing something wrong by simply using the law.

You are younger than I am so you didn't experience the draft for the Vietnam war. I don't recall anybody that I knew who supported the war or wasn't trying to get a deferment of some kind. Trump was normal not someone who was looked upon with disgust.
Yes...you are right, AndyC. If I were of draft age during Vietnam...I too would have tried to dodge my way out of it, if I were able. But, if I did dodge the draft during that emotionally-charged time period...I like to think that my integrity would have prevented me from subsequently questioning the heroism of those who DID serve their country during that unpopular war. I would not, as Trump did, declare to a national TV audience that "I like my heroes not to get captured". Only a moron like Trump would fail to notice how many brave people other than McCain were hurt by such an irresponsible comment.

I also did not grow up with the benefit of having a billionaire daddy, but if I did...then I would again like to think that this same integrity of mine would have given me reason to reconsider any subsequent childish temper tantrums against another group of "privileged" individuals, who were exercising the same citizen rights as Trump was...when he legally avoided paying his former employees, and his taxes. I don't know about you, but I almost vomited when I watched our "Moron-In-Chief" put his smug face on television to tell us that "locking arms is acceptable...but kneeling isn't"...as if "patriotism" were left up to people like him to define.

And, before someone asks...NO...I don't believe that a POTUS should be respected solely because of the office that he occupies. Respect is EARNED, and not bestowed upon...IMO.

Last edited by thaskalos; 05-22-2019 at 01:18 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #111
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
And, before someone asks...NO...I don't believe that a POTUS should be respected solely because of the office that he occupies. Respect is EARNED, and not bestowed upon...IMO.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #112
AndyC

Quote:
Yes...you are right, AndyC. If I were of draft age during Vietnam...I too would have tried to dodge my way out of it, if I were able. But, if I did dodge the draft during that emotionally-charged time period...I like to think that my integrity would have prevented me from subsequently questioning the heroism of those who DID serve their country during that unpopular war. I would not, as Trump did, declare to a national TV audience that "I like my heroes not to get captured". Only a moron like Trump would fail to notice how many brave people other than McCain were hurt by such an irresponsible comment.

I also did not grow up with the benefit of having a billionaire daddy, but if I did...then I would again like to think that this same integrity of mine would have given me reason to reconsider any subsequent childish temper tantrums against another group of "privileged" individuals, who were exercising the same citizen rights as Trump was...when he legally avoided paying his former employees, and his taxes. I don't know about you, but I almost vomited when I watched our "Moron-In-Chief" put his smug face on television to tell us that "locking arms is acceptable...but kneeling isn't"...as if "patriotism" were left up to people like him to define.

I wholly agree with your sentiments. I am not a fan of trump's behavior either. Respect I believe is not a yea or nay issue. While I do not respect Trump for many things I do respect him for his positions on certain issues.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:53 PM   #113
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I wholly agree with your sentiments. I am not a fan of trump's behavior either. Respect I believe is not a yea or nay issue. While I do not respect Trump for many things I do respect him for his positions on certain issues.
Yes, I agree...respect isn't a "yay or nay" matter. We can respect a man's occasional good deeds...without necessarily respecting the man.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #114
delayjf

Quote:
A draft-dodger billionaire president in search of every "legal" loophole in order to avoid paying his taxes is fit to define 'patriotism',
He didn't define anything. Those who took offense to KP acts were outraged before Trump said anything. He may have gave it a voice and he certainly set himself up to be the focus of blame for the liberal left media, but had he said nothing, that outrage would have found another voice.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: