Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:13 AM   #1
hcap

Goiodbye Moore's Law

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dru...our-desktop-pc

Coming Soon: Quantum Computing on Your Desktop PC?

"A standard computer with, say, 50 bits, can be in any one of 250 states at a single time. That's about a quadrillion states. This state changes with every beat of the computer's internal clock, and eventually you get an answer to whatever problem you've programmed the computer to solve. By contrast, a quantum computer with 250 qubits can be in a quadrillion states simultaneously thanks to an aspect of quantum weirdness called superposition. Once you set up the program, you just collapse the quantum state and the answer is spit out instantly.

......it's possible that large-scale quantum computing could lead to breakthroughs in emulating human thought processes and speeding up the creation of artificial intelligence. Maybe."

[YT="Qubits"]/WXKJ-oUq6F8[/YT]
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 07:27 AM   #2
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Dangerous stuff, seems to me.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 07:54 AM   #3
ebcorde
Veteran

A buddy of mine at

IBM believes he can solve the lottery using quantum math. He's been trying for 7-8 years now. He's been kinda close. He tests with the pick 4/5 I've seen his tickets lots of 3 of 5 for a $3 ticket. He believes based on patterns the same similar set of numbers come up. So if his program thinks a 24 will be on the ticket , he will pick a range of 23-24-25.

He's hits about 2 pick 4's a year.
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #4
GameTheory

The biggest immediate change would be to security. A true quantum computer would render all current encryption useless overnight (and any future encryption based on extension of the same basic ideas). So maybe some sort of quantum encryption would be possible, or more likely a total sea change in the basic ideas of keeping information secure. (What that might look like I cannot imagine.)

So it would be very disruptive for everyone as it would destroy current paradigms.

On the other hand, the things you could achieve with a quantum computer are just staggering, and those are just the things we can think of now. The world will not be recognizable within a few decades of the arrival of such a computer...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

I was just musing that perhaps the purpose of mankind was to evolve enough to create such advanced quantum computing, so that an infinite number of alternative realities could be tested in order to find the one reality that actually works the best for all the inhabitants.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #6
magwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 'StatMan'
I was just musing that perhaps the purpose of mankind was to evolve enough to create such advanced quantum computing, so that an infinite number of alternative realities could be tested in order to find the one reality that actually works the best for all the inhabitants.
Do you mind if I use this idea for my next script ?
Old 10-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #7
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwell
Do you mind if I use this idea for my next script ?
LOL! Thanks for the compliment! Sure! Although if it means really big money, remember me a little.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #8
magwell

Quote:
LOL! Thanks for the compliment! Sure! Although if it means really big money, remember me a little.
No problem my man your in big time.......
Old 10-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #9
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwell
No problem my man your in big time.......
Great! Go For It!
Old 10-06-2015, 07:20 PM   #10
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Only if bad-guys don't use it first to wipe us all out.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #11
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
Only if bad-guys don't use it first to wipe us all out.
There won't be any "bad guys". Skynet will become self aware.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #12
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknight
There won't be any "bad guys". Skynet will become self aware.
Resistance is futile.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:40 AM   #13
hcap

Follow the money.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_...perceptio.html

Is Apple in an Arms Race for Artificial Intelligence?

Bloomberg reports that Apple has bought Perceptio, a company that makes image-recognition technology for smartphones, its second AI deal in four days. Perceptio was developing "deep learning" technology for smartphones, that allowed phones to independently identify images without relying on external data libraries, Bloomberg said. Deep learning is a specialized field of artificial intelligence that's all the rage now. It allows machines to recognize patterns and learn on their own.

On Friday, Apple acquired another AI company: VocalIQ, a UK-based startup developing technology to help computers understand human speech. Google, Facebook, and Microsoft are all engaged in an AI arms race, hiring experts in
Old 10-07-2015, 06:01 AM   #14
ebcorde
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap
Follow the money.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_...perceptio.html

Bloomberg reports that Apple has bought Perceptio, a company that makes image-recognition technology for smartphones, its second AI deal in four days. Perceptio was developing "deep learning" technology for smartphones, that allowed phones to independently identify images without relying on external data libraries, Bloomberg said. Deep learning is a specialized field of artificial intelligence that's all the rage now. It allows machines to recognize patterns and learn on their own.

On Friday, Apple acquired another AI company: VocalIQ, a UK-based startup developing technology to help computers understand human speech. Google, Facebook, and Microsoft are all engaged in an AI arms race, hiring experts in
It's not a "learn from scratch" rather learn within limits else the application could go off the rails. all the rage?

I participated as a developer on a project that utilized similar technology. not on this huge scale, our project was on a very small scale for a specific purpose and on a different platform.

deep learning is a BS term ."deep" is a layered. I used layered NN'S all the time for work IN EARLY 2000. You have no choice, one NN is too weak, most likely to produce an incorrect answer. you take a problem break it into little chunks.

IN THIS CASE THEY'RE TALKING 10,000-MILLIONS OF small NN'S they'll need a lot of programmers and money.

Last edited by ebcorde; 10-07-2015 at 06:13 AM.
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2015, 02:07 PM   #15
hcap

There have been improvements in NNs over the years. Particularly in image recognition. The article's title is what I was getting at.

There is no question the resources being used and invested by the large commercial players (and needless to say governments) are going to speed the rate of development of A.I. Advances in driver-less vehicles, as per both Google and Apple use newer deep learning NN based systems.

I was making the obvious connection between quantum computing and how that "quantum leap" in hardware will enhance A.I.

The Singularity may be sooner than we think.