Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 03-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #1
Bogo

Derby Wars

This site has a bunch of daily contests for harness racing that look like a lot of fun. Has anyone used the site with anything positive or negative to say?
Bogo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2018, 08:17 PM   #2
Ray2000
Apple 2GS Wiz

Feds stopped them once

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/t...group-lawsuit/
Bret Harte

Last edited by Ray2000; 03-06-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Ray2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2018, 08:50 PM   #3
BaconLover
Formerly “Cyber”

I like Derby Wars, but you have to be willing to sit through 7 to 12 races, watching the odds closely. I don’t often have the time for this with my kids wanting my attention.

I like the winner take all lockdown tournaments. You make all your picks at the beginning and they are locked for the whole contest. When you take a lead, the others can’t guess at longshots to beat you because they can’t change their original picks. Also, the payout for the winner take all is nice. I’ve been winning those at a 33% clip on those 7 people tourneys. I’ll be honest and say that I think 3 of the 7 in those tourneys seem to be t-bred cappers, so being a harness only guy already improves my chances. Also, the lockdowns are nice for me because I drop in my entry and walk away to spend time with family.

The qualifier tourneys aren’t that hard to win. I wouldn’t pay my way into the big tourneys, but I’ll try the quals. I won a qual and the finals for a Sat night $1000 contest on the same night. Final pool was $1500 or so and I got half.

I won my entry to the WHHC finals two weekends ago on Derby Wars. Will be my 5th time at the finals.

I enjoy the survivor contests, but there has to be enough total entries to make it worthwhile. Even so, you want to maximize your number of entries to take top prize. 2nd-10th place aren’t worth winning.

I have only good things to say about Derby Wars. You won’t get the same rush as you would hitting a nice p4 or p5 or tri, but if you specialize on one track, you have a long term advantage over others playing that track.

Based on the picks that some of you guys post, I’m sure you would do well in these contests.
BaconLover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #4
Ray2000
Apple 2GS Wiz

BaconLover, Thanks for the info

I saw this Paulick report which says
quote:
“DerbyWars.com is a terrific partner for the World Harness Handicapping Championship,” said Rachel Ryan, Marketing Manager at Meadowlands Racing & Entertainment.
https://www.paulickreport.com/horsep...ip-set-apr-28/

so I went ahead and joined DerbyWars.

Playing Woodbine tonight in 3 contests .

Good Luck

Bret Harte
Old 03-08-2018, 09:21 PM   #5
BaconLover
Formerly “Cyber”

Good luck, Ray! Go get ‘em!!!!

Derby Wars had a slow start with harness racing. After I initially joined, I didn’t play for like a year. It’s picking up momentum now and has better tracks and more players. I like that they have a $1K harness game on weekends.

The partnership between WHHC and Derby Wars is huge. It’ll definitely boost participation and allows for a bigger prize pool. In the inaugural WHHC (formerly NHHC), the top prize was $50K. Then the total prize POOL became $50K, which brought the top prize down to like $25K or so. Now the top prize is back up to $40K. Makes it interesting again.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #6
Ray2000
Apple 2GS Wiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconLover View Post
. . . . . Then the total prize POOL became $50K, which brought the top prize down to like $25K or so. Now the top prize is back up to $40K. Makes it interesting again.
Funny story , now.
I won an entry in Apr 2005 Finals sponsored by Express Bet $500 + hotel + airfare + Entry fee. Called them, told them I was driving and they put an extra $200 in my account.

I studied the BigM program, did my handicapping, drove from Clarion, Pennsylvania to Hasbrouck Hts, NJ (5 hours), through a bad storm, caught the hotel shuttle to the track.. and they canceled the card, ...drivers voted too dangerous to race. They held the finals using simulcast. I crapped out.
Had to drive back in another bad storm.
Bret Harte
Old 03-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #7
davew

I have been playing last 3 months with TBs. I like the survivor format, as the others give the win to someone who pops a 20/1. I also like seeing the paddock, post parade and warm-up so skip the 'lockdowns' where all bets need to be placed before the first race.

It is too bad they no longer handle Stronach tracks.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #8
BaconLover
Formerly “Cyber”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray2000 View Post
Funny story , now.
I won an entry in Apr 2005 Finals sponsored by Express Bet $500 + hotel + airfare + Entry fee. Called them, told them I was driving and they put an extra $200 in my account.

I studied the BigM program, did my handicapping, drove from Clarion, Pennsylvania to Hasbrouck Hts, NJ (5 hours), through a bad storm, caught the hotel shuttle to the track.. and they canceled the card, ...drivers voted too dangerous to race. They held the finals using simulcast. I crapped out.
Had to drive back in another bad storm.
Ray, I was winning that 2005 contest until a bomber won a mandatory race at Balmoral. Everybody was trying to catch up and several people knocked me off the board. If it weren’t a mandatory race, I bet none of them would’ve even played that race. I needed a 20-1 on my last bullet to win and I found one, but he lost by a long neck.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: