Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #211
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman
That's B.S. My father was awarded the Bronze Star in WWII as a sarge in the Big Red One . . . Do I get to take credit for that?
You must lead a charmed life if you get worked up over something minor like this. We seldom pick our nicknames; they are usually thrusted upon us, for a variety of reasons...and we play up to them just to appease others. Sarge is not an uncommon nickname...and it's a modest one at that. Some have been nicknamed "General"...even though their military service (if any) has proven to be decidedly undistinguished.

Last edited by thaskalos; 08-24-2014 at 12:36 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #212
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
You must lead a charmed life if you get worked up over something minor like this. We seldom pick our nicknames; they are usually thrusted upon us, for a variety of reasons...and we play up to them just to appease others. Sarge is not an uncommon nickname...and it's a modest one at that. Some have been nicknamed "General"...even though their military service (if any) has proven to be decidedly undistinguished.
our racing secretary at work is called the General and he's never served. just someone started calling him that and it stuck
Old 08-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #213
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman
This so-called "Sarge" with his on-screen salutes and his "OORAH" shout-outs got me wondering about his military bona fides. From what I can see, the guy never served. Now, not having served, standing alone, is no basis for criticism, but I find it offensive when someone who has not served cloaks himself in military honor, as this guy "The Sarge" seems to be doing. Here is his official TVG bio, which makes no mention of military service, and the stated chronology would seem to rule out his having served in the military:
As a retired Air Force guy, I say who cares? I have no idea how the nickname came about, but I sincerely doubt it was meant to belittle those that serve. He's a good guy and always pro military.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #214
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
As a retired Air Force guy, I say who cares? I have no idea how the nickname came about, but I sincerely doubt it was meant to belittle those that serve. He's a good guy and always pro military.
As a veteran I agree with you.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #215
lamboguy

the boss did a good job today closing a useless thread, he should pull the trigger on this one as well.

its pretty sickening to read negative post's over and over again where someone is getting belted over the head for no good reason.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #216
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
the boss did a good job today closing a useless thread, he should pull the trigger on this one as well.

its pretty sickening to read negative post's over and over again where someone is getting belted over the head for no good reason.
Wait, Bruce Springsteen is a mod here?

Lets get back to topic...our distain for TVG.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #217
Stillriledup
Veteran

TVG doing everything in their power to make you not want to watch.

If you want to have "Fancy" camera angles, at least have a cameraman who wasn't hired yesterday.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #218
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
TVG doing everything in their power to make you not want to watch.

If you want to have "Fancy" camera angles, at least have a cameraman who wasn't hired yesterday.
Are you talking about the new gate cam thing?

I think the cameraman may be one of the starters wearing it on his head.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #219
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
Are you talking about the new gate cam thing?

I think the cameraman may be one of the starters wearing it on his head.
This would make sense, thanks. I thought it was someone who was hired yesterday just holding the camera in very shaky fashion. I can't watch that, bothers my eyes.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #220
johnhannibalsmith

I gotta say, the TVG version of Sarge may wear me down, but I remember about a half-dozen years back when he shipped in to Turf for one of the stakes. Usually everyone in Phoenix mutters and stammers when those damn out-of-towners come take the money - compounded by the fact that often the actual trainer never even bothers to show up and nobody seems to really even care that they won a race at Turf.

Sarge was in full entertainer mode, not only made the trip but was holding court and at least giving the vibe that he was happy to be there and having fun. He won the race as I remember (it wasn't Ms. Minton, had to be a stake) and the place was packed and fans were actually cheering. He walks up the ramp to the track apron and does the ole' salute in about seventeen different directions, happier than shit to win the race and hamming it up.

It was a really nice sight and he won me over that day just with his enthusiasm for the sport at a time in that long meet where people just lose that happy-go-lucky mindset until May.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #221
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
... I can't watch that, bothers my eyes.
I like it. That's probably as intense a moment in a race as the finish and I like being in the midst of that combustible moment.

They had some jocks at TuP slap on some of those helmet cams a few years ago and I thought it was fantastic. Considering TuP wastes 14 minutes between races telling us about the Kentucky Derby Buffet Special beginning in November since there's nothing else to put on the screen, it amazes that me that they won't do that with one rider each race or something and play it between races. Everyone claims it's boring between live races since they never go near the paddock, and that few minutes of camera work is highly entertaining.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #222
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
I like it. That's probably as intense a moment in a race as the finish and I like being in the midst of that combustible moment.

They had some jocks at TuP slap on some of those helmet cams a few years ago and I thought it was fantastic. Considering TuP wastes 14 minutes between races telling us about the Kentucky Derby Buffet Special beginning in November since there's nothing else to put on the screen, it amazes that me that they won't do that with one rider each race or something and play it between races. Everyone claims it's boring between live races since they never go near the paddock, and that few minutes of camera work is highly entertaining.
The problem i have with "odd" angles is to me, they're random. If you see a close up of a helmet cam at the gate, that could be any race on any day, if they save some of this footage and show it again in November, you wouldn't know if its live or not, its just a closeup shot of random horses, is no help whatsoever in helping make betting decisions.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #223
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
Which thread was that?
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #224
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
Which thread was that?
Probably the Andy Serling thread in the handicapping section.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:19 AM   #225
taxicab

Quote:
I gotta say, the TVG version of Sarge may wear me down, but I remember about a half-dozen years back when he shipped in to Turf for one of the stakes. Usually everyone in Phoenix mutters and stammers when those damn out-of-towners come take the money - compounded by the fact that often the actual trainer never even bothers to show up and nobody seems to really even care that they won a race at Turf.

Sarge was in full entertainer mode, not only made the trip but was holding court and at least giving the vibe that he was happy to be there and having fun. He won the race as I remember (it wasn't Ms. Minton, had to be a stake) and the place was packed and fans were actually cheering. He walks up the ramp to the track apron and does the ole' salute in about seventeen different directions, happier than shit to win the race and hamming it up.

It was a really nice sight and he won me over that day just with his enthusiasm for the sport at a time in that long meet where people just lose that happy-go-lucky mindset until May.
http://youtu.be/yhCQ82lTLyo
[yt=""]yhCQ82lTLyo[/yt]

http://youtu.be/VsqtiEw8598
[yt=""]VsqtiEw8598[/yt]

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 08-26-2014 at 03:14 PM.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply