Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Next NYRA Track Announcer
John G. Dooley 23 17.04%
Larry Collmus 10 7.41%
Vic Stauffer 43 31.85%
Michael Wrona (Golden Gate) 5 3.70%
Frank Mirahmadi (Oaklawn Park) 8 5.93%
Kurt Becker (Keeneland) 5 3.70%
John Imbriale 26 19.26%
Other 15 11.11%
Voters: 135. This poll is closed

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #121
jk3521
Registered Loser

No offense against John Imbriale, But I think I will be watching the races with the sound muted until next April.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #122
ILovetheInner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
I'll never understand the appeal of Collmus. So many other ways they could have gone, other talents out there that just need a chance on the big stage. Imbriale would have been a better choice.
I agree with that entirely. This was my fear....that the prestige or "known by your average street guy" factor via his Triple Crown gig (which eludes me as well) would have play in their decision. Durkin, afterall, was calling the BC when NY took him. So were the past to repeat, NY would want that instantly recognizable voice to the casual racing fan. I have familiarity with Collmus starting back when he was calling Suffolk. He has since found a style, for want of a better word. But he has never gone past being a boy playing a man's game in my eyes. His screaming high drama calls in the big races are very grating, often awkward, and I avoid them whenever possible. But we're stuck with it. And so it goes.
ILovetheInner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #123
Rex Phinney

I don't understand why NYRA doesn't feel like they can make a name out of anybody. They should have picked the best person and just assumed that before long that person would be a household name, because, well they are calling for the NYRA.

They didn't need to start with the most recognizable name.

FWIW I don't like Collmus, watching him take over for Durkin in the TC, and also having him dubbed over Trevor during the last few Breeders Cups was a shame.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #124
cj's dad

I think a poster here by the tag "cj" put a plug in for Larry. I understand they went to the same high school.

BTW - Larry, I heard lived only a few miles from Laurel Park.

larry was the initial at the now defunct track in Birmingham, Alabama. I believe it is now greyhounds only !
Old 08-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #125
jk3521
Registered Loser

I guess NYRA paid no attention to our poll. Colmus came in 5th in our poll, missed the superfecta
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #126
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Much good luck to Larry Collmus as he begins a new era for NYRA. He's a fine announcer/racecaller. Well pleased for John Imbriale, too.

Hopefully, like Tom, Collmus finds limited exposure, necessary, on Twitter and on message boards. Tom didn't find either a must, he was cool this way. And smart.
I have enjoyed the calls of Larry Collmus for many years at both MP and GP. He does a great job, just call down to GP right now and you will hear his calls of previous races including Big Dramas win while on hold!
Old 08-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #127
BlueShoe

Would have liked Vic to have gotten it, but have long regarded Collmus to be among the top four or five callers in the nation, so am sure that he will do a fine job at NYRA.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #128
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILovetheInner
I agree with that entirely. This was my fear....that the prestige or "known by your average street guy" factor via his Triple Crown gig (which eludes me as well) would have play in their decision. Durkin, afterall, was calling the BC when NY took him. So were the past to repeat, NY would want that instantly recognizable voice to the casual racing fan. I have familiarity with Collmus starting back when he was calling Suffolk. He has since found a style, for want of a better word. But he has never gone past being a boy playing a man's game in my eyes. His screaming high drama calls in the big races are very grating, often awkward, and I avoid them whenever possible. But we're stuck with it. And so it goes.
NYRA also hired Chic Anderson away from Churchill back when he was the voice of racing on CBS. That is their wont.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #129
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Much good luck to Larry Collmus as he begins a new era for NYRA. He's a fine announcer/racecaller. Well pleased for John Imbriale, too.

Hopefully, like Tom, Collmus finds limited exposure, necessary, on Twitter and on message boards. Tom didn't find either a must, he was cool this way. And smart.
The ironic part of this is that Tom Durkin was a presence (although a limited presence) on the old Prodigy horse racing message board. So was Jerry Bailey at least once or twice. You actually had to use your REAL NAME on those boards, as whenever you posted a message, it used your actual account name, and not some fake name you could make up.

Those were the days...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #130
letswastemoney

I was just listening to the 2013 Breeders' Cup Classic right now. Collmus sounds awful. All that forced screaming at the end.

[YT="l-d8AaCzbqE"]l-d8AaCzbqE[/YT]
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #131
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
I was just listening to the 2013 Breeders' Cup Classic right now. Collmus sounds awful. All that forced screaming at the end.

Yeah...That got pretty bad.
I think the additional exuberance may be due to the national tv audience.
I don't care for this at all.
Hopefully Collmus will dial it down.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #132
ArlJim78

Quote:
I've been saying this for some time, his big race calls are grating and detract from the race which if I'm not mistaken is the opposite of what the job calls for. He keeps getting all the top jobs, but I don't understand why.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #133
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:

I agree. When is 23.39 23 and 2/5?

Late backstretch, he started 4 different sentences with "and" like he's a rookie.

Mid stretch, he's lost for words. Isn't prepared (with various possible stretch drives and what to say).

If I was blind, I would've had no clue what's happening in the stretch drive.

Tom Durkin would've said something like MUCHO MACHO MAN as MACHO and GAAAAME as a horse CAN BE but Will Take Charge a final surge, it's going to be desperately close, here's the wiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrreeeeeee, MUCHO MACHO MAN OOOOOHHHH YEEEAAAAHHHH (IN respect to the now deceased wrestler who was named the Macho Man. His catch phrase was OOOOOHHHH YYYEEAAHHHH).

Larry sounded like a rookie yelling out there with little substance.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #134
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
I agree. When is 23.39 23 and 2/5?

Late backstretch, he started 4 different sentences with "and" like he's a rookie.

Mid stretch, he's lost for words. Isn't prepared (with various possible stretch drives and what to say).

If I was blind, I would've had no clue what's happening in the stretch drive.

Tom Durkin would've said something like MUCHO MACHO MAN as MACHO and GAAAAME as a horse CAN BE but Will Take Charge a final surge, it's going to be desperately close, here's the wiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrreeeeeee, MUCHO MACHO MAN OOOOOHHHH YEEEAAAAHHHH (IN respect to the now deceased wrestler who was named the Macho Man. His catch phrase was OOOOOHHHH YYYEEAAHHHH).

Larry sounded like a rookie yelling out there with little substance.
Tom Durkin would never have used the breeders cup classic to do an impression of the Macho Man Randy Savage, that is something I think we can all agree on LOL
Old 08-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #135
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Maybe not LOL but he wouldve said something profound, ballsy and different. That is for sure.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply