Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 08-10-2014, 12:01 AM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

ESPN is going nuts.......

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...redirect=false

Another suspension
Old 08-10-2014, 12:45 AM   #2
Stillriledup
Veteran

They're just hurting themselves. They have all these talk shows and hosts, but if they're going to act like this and not want their talking heads to be candid, what is the listening audience supposed to think? We're going to think that they're told what to say and we're also going to not ever know when they're telling the truth.

If you have to wonder if the hosts are telling the truth or not, there's really no point in listening.

It would Be nice if one day major sports leagues all banded together and boycotted this station and got rid of them once and for all.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2014, 03:18 AM   #3
jballscalls

bill barnwell, one of the writers on Grantland made a joke tweet about the Tony Stewart situation before people knew how grave a situation it was, guessing he'll get the suspension axe soon. he took it down and apologized.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
tucker6

I was listening to that show when the guy admitted that he hit his girlfriend once. He said it in the most pained, heartfelt way. He did so because he felt he couldn't do the segment honestly without coming clean with his own transgression. His co-host went completely silent, but he got major kudos from me for honesty. His views on the subject had more authority at that point. He was most definitely in the "never hit a woman"camp.

... and people wonder what I was talking about the other day with ESPN.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
Robert Fischer
clean money

It's corporate mass media.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
tucker6

Let's put this into context here. This incident happened over 20 years ago. He's been married to this woman for over 20 years, and he hit her when she was his girlfriend. Well before he ever worked for ESPN. I have a hard time understanding how far ESPN is going to go at this point in their zealous PC world. A week suspension for every time you told an off color joke, or had a DUI, or killed a dog with a car?

Seriously, this is so over the top it's ridiculous. I actually heard the program live. It was uplifting in a way to hear a real life abuser come clean and speak about domestic violence from an abuser's standpoint, and how wrong it is. It takes guts to admit your failings to millions without any prompting. Instead of lauding such decision-making as a way to reach others before they do something similar, ESPN has essentially said that it's better to hide these things so as not to tarnish their image. Simply disgusting.

Last edited by tucker6; 08-10-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
Let's put this into context here. This incident happened over 20 years ago.
This nation is sick, and it is getting sicker by the day....

How freakin petty can you get ?....

Liberalism that manifests itself in ways such as this, is a "mental disorder"....
Old 08-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Remember what the E in ESPN stands for...they are in bed with all the major sports, so you'll never get true reporting from them. They used to break real sports stories, now they just report what everyone else finds, like Yahoo.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Remember what the E in ESPN stands for...they are in bed with all the major sports, so you'll never get true reporting from them. They used to break real sports stories, now they just report what everyone else finds, like Yahoo.
You really think it's that simple? You have to remember this the most profitable network in the history of TV.

I think all that matters with them is the bottom line. In some ways they are becoming the TMZ of sports
Old 08-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
You really think it's that simple? You have to remember this the most profitable network in the history of TV.

I think all that matters with them is the bottom line. In some ways they are becoming the TMZ of sports
I'm agreeing with you. The bottom line is all that matters, which is why anything that can be taken as a negative is being slammed. The E is Entertainment. Anything that will bring negative publicity is going to get slapped down.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #11
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph

becoming?? In their attempt to look clean themselves so that they can be high and mighty with others failings, they are now offering sacrifices to the Gods. Astoundingly bad crisis management.