Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #31
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate
However, I can't help but feel the talent is diluted now with so many races across two days. I'd prefer a return to the one day, eight or nine race format. This year's Distaff and Classic back-to-back would have been incredible, especially if NBC saw fit to carry more than a single race. As long as coverage remains on pay, obscure sports channels, it's going to be hard to grow the sport.
This!
Old 11-07-2016, 10:15 AM   #32
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
Not to pile on....but wasn't this really all we had to see?

Have a little respect please.
I don't agree with linrom's post, but you really think a typo proves anything?
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #33
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I don't agree with linrom's post, but you really think a typo proves anything?
Stop making it personal.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2016, 10:19 AM   #34
dilanesp

The ship has sailed on NBC.

They were willing to basically carry the 7 or 8 race BC every year back in the day. But the BC got greedy, wanted 2 days, and got ESPN to pay them some more money. By the time they got back to NBC, the BC was bloated with extra races and NBC had purchased Versus, which they use to air second tier sports.

I doubt NBC has any interest in devoting 4.5 hours of network airtime to the BC at this point. Once the BC sold out to cable, the die was cast.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #35
dilanesp

Quote:
Stop making it personal.
TLG, again, nothing in that post was personal.

Why are you pretending not to know the difference between an argument (typos don't indicate a post is wrong) and a personal attack (calling me an idiot)?

Everyone else here understands this. It's only you who doesn't.

You REALLY need to cool it.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #36
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
TLG, again, nothing in that post was personal.

Why are you pretending not to know the difference between an argument (typos don't indicate a post is wrong) and a personal attack (calling me an idiot)?

Everyone else here understands this. It's only you who doesn't.

You REALLY need to cool it.

Stop making it personal.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #37
Grits

It was an outstanding two days of championship racing. The most fun I've ever had betting the BC on the west coast.

Is there still such a thing as favorite horses? Mine are now Tamarkuz and Tourist. Win bets and exactas. Other winners were good, I'm grateful, but they didn't pay what these two did.

Thank you very much, KMac and Billy Mott, and A.Serling (liking Tourist)!!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #38
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate
I've handicapped and bet every Breeder's Cup except the first year in 1984. I didn't cash any big tickets this year, but there was plenty of great racing and a few decent prices.

However, I can't help but feel the talent is diluted now with so many races across two days. I'd prefer a return to the one day, eight or nine race format. This year's Distaff and Classic back-to-back would have been incredible, especially if NBC saw fit to carry more than a single race. As long as coverage remains on pay, obscure sports channels, it's going to be hard to grow the sport.

The obvious races to look at removing would be a couple of the Juv Filly turf, Juv Filly, F&M Turf, and the F&M Sprint. In place of those races, some $100 or $200K undercard stakes would be fine, and I'd like to see some Breeder's Cup money flow to several races in foreign venues over the same weekend. A race or two from Ireland/England/France, Argentina/Uruguay/Brazil/Chile, Japan/Hong Kong/Australia and maybe South Africa would certainly lend more credibility to the phrase "World Thoroughbred Championships".
I agree - somewhat.

The only races that I think should/could be consolidated are the Juvenile Turf races, leaving us with one less BrCup race.
I would even keep the Dirt Mile as I don't think it really detracts from the Sprint or Classic...other than Liam's Map and maybe Shackleford (2nd to Calebs Posse in 2011) I can't think of any other runners who may have had a solid impact in the Classic.
Goldencents? No
Tapiture? Maybe
Gun Runner? Okay, yes, but not this year with those two monsters entered

I would like to see it shortened to one day. They went the Derby/Preakness route by promoting a big Friday card (usually for the ladies) and doing all sorts of promos for it...it's a business after all, and getting an extra day of good attendance (the rarest thing in racing today) at higher than normal admission charges isn't something the tracks are gonna give up easily.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #39
Grits

There would have to be a tremendous amount of attrition to take it back to one day. As it is, Saturday, now, is a very long day. It would have to be run, in part, under the lights if all were to go back to years ago.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:07 AM   #40
Grits

One thing I noted a day or two prior. There was one BC ad, this one, that I absolutely loved. Unfortunately, it got the least action of all the ads. When all is said and done, it's about the betting. There's no doubt, the horseplayers make it all go. When many are discussing it, aside from here, things are too pretty pony.

http://www.breederscup.com/wagering
Old 11-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #41
dilanesp

Quote:
Stop making it personal.
TLG, you've said that already, now three times. It's time to move on.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #42
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiken
sure beats THE 'POLYTRACK' years.

How soon we forget?

That's something they want you to forget. Those were awful. That turned out to be a complete failure. I'll never understand that "brain fart" at Keenland and California where it is not even necessary. It was just dumb and they got sold a "bill of crap." It was a laugher for me day 1. Then I made the mistake of going in 2009, have not been back since.

This years racing was pretty damn good though. I may go back like the sucker I am.

Last edited by burnsy; 11-07-2016 at 12:33 PM.
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #43
linrom1
Veteran

There is ZERO public interest in Arrogate! If Chrome runs again at PEGASUS at a distance of 1 1/8 or 1 1/16 MILES, Arrogate won't even show up! Yet there is going to be 20,000 fans to see Chrome...and that is the definition of what a STAR is.

So please keep your stupid comments to yourself.
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2016, 12:39 PM   #44
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin
ROFL

You have zero clue.

Chrome had a monsterous pace edge, and looked every bit an easy winner before he was simply swallowed whole by a markedly better individual.

Arrogate was probably 5 lengths better than Chrome on Saturday and that while still racing green and inexperienced.

Just imagine what would have transpired had any real pace materialized...

Thanks, though, for the absurd humor which doubles as your lack of understanding.
Arrogate may indeed be better than Chrome, but if he's 5 lengths better we're looking at a top 5 all time dirt horse
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #45
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrom1
There is ZERO public interest in Arrogate! If Chrome runs again at PEGASUS at a distance of 1 1/8 or 1 1/16 MILES, Arrogate won't even show up! Yet there is going to be 20,000 fans to see Chrome...and that is the definition of what a STAR is.

So please keep your stupid comments to yourself.
Chrome who?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply