Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-28-2018, 10:28 PM   #211
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Good for you...pressing up at the higher limits, right?
No, I usually do low level feeders and then make money on the breakage.

I have won a few small 10-20 player cash events that really helped

My goal is to reach a dollar amount (i am real close) then move to the next range up, but its not high level. I am probably not good enough for that.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2018, 10:31 PM   #212
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
No, I usually do low level feeders and then make money on the breakage.

I have won a few small 10-20 player cash events that really helped

My goal is to reach a dollar amount (i am real close) then move to the next range up, but its not high level. I am probably not good enough for that.

I have a gut feeling you'll do just fine.....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2018, 10:32 PM   #213
thaskalos

Quote:
Good for you...pressing up at the higher limits, right?
Math question for you, Randall:

If a person is winning 80% of the $22 heads-up tournaments that he plays...how will he fare if he suddenly jumps to the $795 tournaments?
Old 07-28-2018, 10:34 PM   #214
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post

If a person is winning 80% of the $22 heads-up tournaments that he plays...how will he fare if he suddenly jumps to the $795 tournaments?
https://horsetourneys.com/leaderboard/contest/340605

dosnt look too tough, lol
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2018, 10:37 PM   #215
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
That's what I thought. Why bother climbing up the ladder slowly...when the easy money is there for the taking NOW?
Old 07-28-2018, 10:43 PM   #216
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post

Not a math question, it's a player question. If you're moving up to that level, you would have needed to have kept records and tourney styles of those players daily, while you were playing at the lower levels.....It's all about having an edge and beating a specific player that suits your style of heads up play...…Doesn't matter what the cash level is, as long as you've done your homework, long-term the endeavor will be worth it.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2018, 11:18 PM   #217
Mulerider

Quote:
.....It's all about having an edge and beating a specific player that suits your style of heads up play...…
In other words, don't be the first to sign up for a head-to-head...
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2018, 12:42 AM   #218
BCOURTNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
In other words, don't be the first to sign up for a head-to-head...
They close non entered contests an hour before they close I think, I don't understand it but that happens.
BCOURTNEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #219
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi View Post
I believe tournaments are the only way to get new blood in to the sport, the 35 and under crowd have been playing fantasy sports for years now. Get them into tournament play, teach them how to handicap then (the hard part) they will learn how to bet. I play on DerbyWars and enjoy it very much, it's a nice get away after I take my break from Hong Kong.
I've been playing the free, 22 and $95 dollar buy in's @drfcontest. Thanks for mentioning these other sites. I also like the sounds of Heads Up play.

@drfcontest, The free contest draws 1500 people, but the Buy-in contest draw 5-20 people. I did a 95 yesterday that had 12.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #220
Kevroc
Chubby Chaser

Great posts all around.

Last NHC was my first as well, even though I've been playing tourneys for like 8-9 years.. (it's really tough to qualify)..

Blake.. If I remember correctly, I think I saw you take down a Saratoga Challenge Qualifier??

If so, maybe we can meet. You made some great and insightful posts in this thread. Excellent information, I think I pulled a muscle in my neck nodding along...

DerbyWars has WPS scoring, HorseTourneys has WP and their version of "lockdown" or "Pick & Pray", you can view all of the picks beforehand where on DerbyWars you cannot... DerbyWars does have the best Survivor Contests though and personally, I love the chat and the banter.

DerbyWars will always be my favorite contest site, but it's good to always be looking out for opportunities.

Excellent thread... keep it goin' !
Kevroc is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2018, 04:48 PM   #221
burnsy
self medicated

For anyone coming to Toga on Sundays or Mondays. There's a Low Roller tournament that's fun and doesn't cost squat. 40 dollars, 30 live on a NYRA card and 10 towards the prize money...…..no take out. They usually get about 200 people so the prize money is usually around 2000. 1rst 50%, 2nd 20%, 3rd 15%, 4th 10% and 5th 5%. Plus, any money on your NYRA card 30 minutes after its over is yours. The contest is 5 WPS bets for two bucks. Its usually races 2-9 if there's 10 races. Yesterday they threw in a free hat too for playing. And they had about 220 people play. I came in 4th and lost by about 9 dollars but I have won it before too other years.

For 10 bucks you cant beat it with no take out. I don't know if its on here yet, I didn't feel like going through 15 pages.

Last edited by burnsy; 07-31-2018 at 04:49 PM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #222
BCOURTNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroc View Post
Blake.. If I remember correctly, I think I saw you take down a Saratoga Challenge Qualifier??

If so, maybe we can meet. You made some great and insightful posts in this thread. Excellent information, I think I pulled a muscle in my neck nodding along...
I'll be at Saratoga next week, going to be around after the sales on Wednesday afternoon.
BCOURTNEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2018, 05:52 PM   #223
Johng032

Tournaments

I’ve been playing contests for the past 2 years or so. I was lucky enough to qualify for the NHC in the past 2 years. I play mostly on HorseTourneys and HorsePlayers but also play on DRF.

Pick and pray contests forced me to take a long look at all contenders, especially those at 8-1 or higher. It really clarified that picking winners wasn’t the only criteria to playing the horses but picking winners at a price was more important. The hit rate can be lower if the odds made up for the difference.

Playing contests has definitely “moved up” my handicapping. I’ll be playing at Saratoga next weekend as well.
Johng032 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 10:50 PM   #224
JeremyJet
Handicapper

First tourney I got involved in was a eye-opener. I hit the first race of the tourney with a 5/2 shot. Great start, right. Next race a 40/1 shot wins and I'm done after two races. I was amazed that more people picked the 40/1 shot than the 5/2 shot. The 40/1 shot was a 2yo first time starter.

Since there is a cap on winners odds, do you guys think there should be a cap on entries? Like only one per player?
JeremyJet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 11:09 PM   #225
jeebus1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyJet View Post
First tourney I got involved in was a eye-opener. I hit the first race of the tourney with a 5/2 shot. Great start, right. Next race a 40/1 shot wins and I'm done after two races. I was amazed that more people picked the 40/1 shot than the 5/2 shot. The 40/1 shot was a 2yo first time starter.

Since there is a cap on winners odds, do you guys think there should be a cap on entries? Like only one per player?
Big part of the game theory surrounding these affairs is that the seasoned tournament players will select a runner who figures to be ignored due to conventional wisdom. It's no coincidence that the same names frequent the leaderboards in these affairs with regularity.
jeebus1083 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply