Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
tzipi

Race 9 at Aqueduct

What was with Jose Otiz standing up waay before the wire and stopping his ride on See The Music?? Is it me or did he completely stop riding? Won by a hair. Geez.
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Really, that was embarrassing.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Yeah it was. I mean he wasn't even close to the wire. I along with other people, have money on the horse and you don't ride out the race?? Horrible. One of the worst "stop rides" I have ever seen.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
You could also make the case that it was shady.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
You could also make the case that it was shady.
I never buy that. If you want to stiff a horse you don't put it on the lead and pull up late. I think it was just being either lazy, or trying to be cool.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I never buy that. If you want to stiff a horse you don't put it on the lead and pull up late. I think it was just being either lazy, or trying to be cool.
But a lot of people buy it....and this game doesnt need anymore perception problems. Also, if a jock can just excuse away his ride by saying he fell asleep and the judges buy it lock, stock and barrel, why would a jock who wants to stiff a horse and finish exactly 2nd care if it looks bad or not? Its not like these guys ever get in trouble no matter how bad it looks. They know they're teflon and can do anything on the track and nothing will ever happen to them.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #7
tzipi

I agree with CJ, if he was going to throw the race why do it with that ride but up front, but it was weird that he was pulling the reins back and even the fourth jump before the wire you see the horses head snap back a bit. Ridiculous....weird....horrible.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #8
Silver florin
Apprentice

Ortiz should count his blessings,he stoped riding the horse the last 20 or so yards,I don't think it was shady,but I think he should get days for that ride.

Last edited by Silver florin; 03-28-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Silver florin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #9
appistappis
longshot kick de bucket

I had the super either way but was hoping the 2 got there.....it appeared that ortiz just missed him and thought he was home and cooled out. It certainly didn't look very professional.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #10
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver florin
Ortiz should count his blessings,he stoped riding the horse the last 20 or so yards,I don't think it was shady,but I think he should get days for that ride.
I love the Ortiz brothers but I agree, Jose should get days. People are betting on these horses. You have to try to the end in that situation. If he was back and a problem arose with the horse or the horses seemed overly tired or injured, I would agree to stop racing. But he had a winning horses running fine and he just quit the ride. Lucky he help on.

But yes, I think a few days should be given to let him now and let the fans now, this will not be tolerated.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #11
WJ47

I hate to criticize jockeys, but it seems like the Ortiz brothers either ride like champions or give a horrendous ride.
WJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #12
wisconsin

I'm pretty sure he thought he had it won. The came up the rail out of nowhere. His mount was drifting out and extremely tired.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin
I'm pretty sure he thought he had it won. The came up the rail out of nowhere. His mount was drifting out and extremely tired.
I thought the horse was running on strong until he stood up before the wire and then the horse stopped running.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Give him days.
When you have thousands of dollars bet on your ride, you damn sure better give it 100% every time. Anything less is unacceptable. These pinheads need to be taught a very expensive lesson. I'd give him two weeks, if he appeals, three.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #15
greengorilla

He wrapped up before the wire because he thought he was home free, and didn't see the 2 horse until it was to late. Riders standing up before the wire is becoming more and more common in our sport.
greengorilla is offline   Reply With Quote Reply