Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-07-2023, 11:51 AM   #16
foregoforever

Since the governor announced this, all questions regarding these races and the Belmont reconstruction should be addressed to her. She's clearly in charge.
foregoforever is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2023, 12:08 PM   #17
The_Turf_Monster

Well, it's been fun. Something will happen that will prevent completion of it since politics are involved. We've seen our last true Belmont Stakes imo
The_Turf_Monster is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2023, 01:26 PM   #18
Robert Fischer
clean money

This 'Belmont Stakes' could be OK.

Running 10f vs. the full twelve hurts the race, but as far as carding Derby and Preakness horses and later developing 3yos; hey... that won't hurt it.

Running it at Saratoga could possibly seem prestigious to some ownership. I'm not big in this camp, simply for that fact that it's already a G1 event in the Triple Crown series, but there may be some associations with ownership towards 'prestige'.

We've had occasional down Belmonts. Not always a bunch of sound G1 stayers. Some of the connections are cowards. There's also a lot of good horses among a small amount of connections and they space races.

I'm strongly in favor of getting back to the true test of champions at 12f and runnning it at Belmont Park ASAP, but it's not some death knell.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 12-07-2023 at 01:31 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2023, 01:43 PM   #19
wiretowire68

I totally agree

Nyra and those involved in the triple crown are wrong...I agree, do it at Aqu. The whole point of the race is the stamina and the 1 1/2 test. And why not give the The Big A a glory day as it has been so long. Obviously, the complete tear apart of Belmont and redo is because the fact remains that Horse Racing is dying with us..this generation. My guess is and tell me if I am wrong but Aqu.. will be sold off by Nyra. Belmont will be the year long menu Ny city racing, they have the rink, they will be putting in lights....As far as the Triple crown....it should not be 1 1/4 even though at the Spa, that track is deep and tiring at that distance. I guess the renovation at Belmont is taking much longer than they anticipated.
wiretowire68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2023, 01:47 PM   #20
the little guy

Man, there is some crazy in this thread.

FYI, it couldn't be run at 12F at Aqueduct either.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2023, 01:59 PM   #21
classhandicapper

What happens if it's much more popular at 10F, draws the biggest and strongest field in years, and a lot of horsemen are pushing to keep it at 10F?
Old 12-07-2023, 02:09 PM   #22
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
What happens if it's much more popular at 10F, draws the biggest and strongest field in years, and a lot of horsemen are pushing to keep it at 10F?
Then there will be a bunch of PA posters and Twitter posters who come on and say "...well, I was wrong about this."
yea right

As far as leaving Belmont Park?? - no. Too much of a good thing going in that direction in relation to what they have going at Belmont Park.

As far as running at 10f?? - nobody wants to see 5 horse fields start on the turn for the Belmont Stakes.
Old 12-07-2023, 02:15 PM   #23
wiretowire68

Its a great point

Its an excellent point but are you not bucking like 120 years of tradition.?????? and the whole point of the whole stamina issue and thus the amount of prestige in winning even 2 of the 3... It is called the triple crown... 1/4 3/16 1/2 ........I did not realize you could not run 1/2 mile aqu..Anyways, it is only 1 year.
wiretowire68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2023, 02:21 PM   #24
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Well, we can run 2 furlongs at FL.
We can seat more than 10,000.
We are dark Thurs-Sun, so we have the days available.....

Let us know.,
Old 12-07-2023, 03:23 PM   #25
dilanesp

It will be very bad if a TC winner occurs this year with the Belmont at 1 1/4 miles. It will be viewed with all sorts of asterisks.

And it's stupid- you can run 1 1/2 miles at Saratoga, just like they did at Aqueduct for Belmonts in the 1960's. You just have to start on the turn but that doesn't matter for a long race. Why is NYRA this terminally dumb?

Prediction: ticket prices will be extremely expensive for this.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2023, 03:25 PM   #26
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Man, there is some crazy in this thread.

FYI, it couldn't be run at 12F at Aqueduct either.
Andy, NYRA literally ran SEVERAL 12 furlong Belmonts at Aqueduct. I have the film footage to prove this. It's cued up to the start of the race.,

EDIT: here's another 12 furlong Belmont at Aqueduct:

And here's 1966:

Alright, I can't resist, one more. This is 1963 again, but it's the videotape from the CBS telecast. Not only do you hear Bryan Field's modern-style call, with lots of commentary, but CBS most likely televised this race from a pole camera in the infield, which actually gives you a spectacular view of the race and also allows you to see the crowd. I wonder why they stopped doing it this way?

Last edited by dilanesp; 12-07-2023 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 05:07 PM   #27
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Prediction: ticket prices will be extremely expensive for this.

I looked at hotel rooms, thinking it would be cool, and as far away as Clifton Park rooms were $350 avg for a Wed or Thus-Sun stay

I'll just watch from my man cave.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:34 PM   #28
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Andy, NYRA literally ran SEVERAL 12 furlong Belmonts at Aqueduct. I have the film footage to prove this. It's cued up to the start of the race.,
Just because they did doesn't mean they should have. That is a terrible place to start a race and it would be the same at Saratoga since both are 9f tracks.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2023, 08:31 PM   #29
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Just because they did doesn't mean they should have. That is a terrible place to start a race and it would be the same at Saratoga since both are 9f tracks.
It would be a terrible place to start a 3 furlong dash; at a mile and a half it doesn't really matter that much (see also Belmont's 1 1/4 mile start).
Old 12-07-2023, 08:43 PM   #30
the little guy

Quote:
It would be a terrible place to start a 3 furlong dash; at a mile and a half it doesn't really matter that much (see also Belmont's 1 1/4 mile start).
Is it a lawyer thing about being certain about things you know nothing about or it just you?
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply