Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 02-29-2024, 07:48 PM   #1
lefty359

RPM The Good And Not So good

I'm wondering who has RPM prgms and which one you like and ones you think are not so hot.
lefty359 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-29-2024, 08:22 PM   #2
Roger
Veteran

Thumbs up

I've had a few over the years and my opinion is that Master Concensus is the best program Len wrote. Just my opinion.:
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-29-2024, 08:36 PM   #3
sharkey11

the tips program isnt bad if you set it right and there are a lot of ways to set it best of luck sir
sharkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-29-2024, 09:04 PM   #4
lefty359

Thanks for your input, guys
Old 03-01-2024, 04:40 PM   #5
lefty359

What about Chalkomatic--Sure Win--Best Bets Prime-Monster key-
Anybody have these?
Old 03-10-2024, 01:30 AM   #6
Topcat

RPM Software

Lefty,
I have a lot of the RPM software programs that I have either purchased or people have sent me for testing. I have hundreds of BRIS files and have set up around 200 races from various tracks and meets as a sort of gauntlet for testing. I have them set up with date,race #, type/level of race,surface,conditions, # of horses in race, ML, Closing line, Fav odds, # horses under ,# of FTS, and payoffs of winners

The RPM software programs typically get ripped by many because they do not live up the hype of the advertising , “36% winners 59% ROI be a millionaire” that sort of thing. However it doesn’t mean they do not present some value, the biggest plus is they all use the same $1 file BRIS format which in my testing gave just about the same ROI as more expensive data from Handicappers Database.

The biggest challenge is that like all other software they end up churning the same key data points and in a predictable way, best speed in last 3 or 2 of 3 etc. . I once sent a note to Barry Meadows asking why do we always assume and handicap as if each horse would run back to its best race, what if they all ran back to their worst race or worst 2 of 3, he tested it and while still a net loser, it outperformed best 2 of last 3 ROI.

The other thing I’ve found is that in the modern era of whales, setting your own odds line and betting an overlay against the five minute line is not workable, too many times, odds change after the race goes off. Of course if you can bet any series of races and end up showing a profit you have by definition been betting on overlays.

I’m digressing, so… some of the RPM programs that I have and have tested are Winners Circle, Ideal Odds, Wizard of Odds, The Intangibles, Trainer Moves, Several other of the trainer program, Cramer’s Short Form, Race Track Millionaire, Bank Robber, Las Vegas Horseplayers Bible, Console’s TP Investor, Scott Hadley’s Quick Pick, Goldstein’s PEM, Angle Emporium, Worth’s Fitness Factor, All of NorCal Greg’s programs,Race Track Probability, Mack Johsnson,Late Shift, Manipulating Speed,the Tote Factor and probably a couple of others I don’t remember at the moment. I haven’t evaluated Master Consensus.

So what I test for in my gauntlet of races is I take the top 3 picks of the software in black box fashion and also test any listed factors of the program for those top 3 picks. To pass the program or one of its factors must have a profitable ROI when playing all races, or all races that the program gives output. I go 3 deep to challenge the program and to help compensate for the small gauntlet size. I’ve found this works almost as well as testing for thousands of races. Also the going 3 deep gets to overlay value horses.

So having said all that, here are the programs that have run the gauntlet and passed by having at least one factor profitable betting 3 deep for 200 races: Norcal Greg’s Power Pace, NorCal Greg’s Best of Five, Wizard of Odds, Goldstein’s’ PEM, The Intangibles, Winners Circle and an honorable mention to Cramer’s Short Form for a break even.

Some factors that I used to like and relied on, like trainer moves are now too common knowledge to get a positive ROI and while these trainer program can give you a good % , it is difficult to get an positive ROI.

Keep in mind I am not suggesting to anyone that they go out and buy these or that this is a definitive answer nor am I saying these are the best pieces of software I have tested . Just my opinion. Suggest each do their own research.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:05 AM   #7
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
Lefty,
I have a lot of the RPM software programs that I have either purchased or people have sent me for testing. I have hundreds of BRIS files and have set up around 200 races from various tracks and meets as a sort of gauntlet for testing. I have them set up with date,race #, type/level of race,surface,conditions, # of horses in race, ML, Closing line, Fav odds, # horses under ,# of FTS, and payoffs of winners

The RPM software programs typically get ripped by many because they do not live up the hype of the advertising , “36% winners 59% ROI be a millionaire” that sort of thing. However it doesn’t mean they do not present some value, the biggest plus is they all use the same $1 file BRIS format which in my testing gave just about the same ROI as more expensive data from Handicappers Database.

The biggest challenge is that like all other software they end up churning the same key data points and in a predictable way, best speed in last 3 or 2 of 3 etc. . I once sent a note to Barry Meadows asking why do we always assume and handicap as if each horse would run back to its best race, what if they all ran back to their worst race or worst 2 of 3, he tested it and while still a net loser, it outperformed best 2 of last 3 ROI.

The other thing I’ve found is that in the modern era of whales, setting your own odds line and betting an overlay against the five minute line is not workable, too many times, odds change after the race goes off. Of course if you can bet any series of races and end up showing a profit you have by definition been betting on overlays.

I’m digressing, so… some of the RPM programs that I have and have tested are Winners Circle, Ideal Odds, Wizard of Odds, The Intangibles, Trainer Moves, Several other of the trainer program, Cramer’s Short Form, Race Track Millionaire, Bank Robber, Las Vegas Horseplayers Bible, Console’s TP Investor, Scott Hadley’s Quick Pick, Goldstein’s PEM, Angle Emporium, Worth’s Fitness Factor, All of NorCal Greg’s programs,Race Track Probability, Mack Johsnson,Late Shift, Manipulating Speed,the Tote Factor and probably a couple of others I don’t remember at the moment. I haven’t evaluated Master Consensus.

So what I test for in my gauntlet of races is I take the top 3 picks of the software in black box fashion and also test any listed factors of the program for those top 3 picks. To pass the program or one of its factors must have a profitable ROI when playing all races, or all races that the program gives output. I go 3 deep to challenge the program and to help compensate for the small gauntlet size. I’ve found this works almost as well as testing for thousands of races. Also the going 3 deep gets to overlay value horses.

So having said all that, here are the programs that have run the gauntlet and passed by having at least one factor profitable betting 3 deep for 200 races: Norcal Greg’s Power Pace, NorCal Greg’s Best of Five, Wizard of Odds, Goldstein’s’ PEM, The Intangibles, Winners Circle and an honorable mention to Cramer’s Short Form for a break even.

Some factors that I used to like and relied on, like trainer moves are now too common knowledge to get a positive ROI and while these trainer program can give you a good % , it is difficult to get an positive ROI.

Keep in mind I am not suggesting to anyone that they go out and buy these or that this is a definitive answer nor am I saying these are the best pieces of software I have tested . Just my opinion. Suggest each do their own research.

Hope this helps.
Good post...looks like RPM will get a few sales this weekend
Saratoga is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2024, 08:08 AM   #8
Topcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga View Post
Good post...looks like RPM will get a few sales this weekend
Well that's not my intent and really there are better pieces of software out there
Old 03-10-2024, 10:08 AM   #9
Saratoga

Quote:
Well that's not my intent and really there are better pieces of software out there
There are but it will cost you......
Old 03-10-2024, 12:22 PM   #10
lefty359

Myself, I find Console's Urti and True Tenders to be as good as a lot
more expensive prgms.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:57 PM   #11
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty359 View Post
Myself, I find Console's Urti and True Tenders to be as good as a lot
more expensive prgms.
Also Consoles Optimum RPG is pretty good...
Old 03-10-2024, 04:36 PM   #12
lefty359

I never saw that one, Saratoga
Old 03-11-2024, 04:28 AM   #13
Topcat

I haven't seen that one either and with Console spitting out so many programs and variations on them, maybe it was an ealier iteration of one of his current ones?

BTW: I've also got Giles's Pace Appraiser and while I respect Randy, in my gauntlet test I wasn't able to use it to get to a positive ROI without hours of additional machinations per race card but I liked the fact that the program wasn't just another simple algorithm of the usual factors.

IDK if anyone has any success with that Randy's program.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:26 AM   #14
Partsnut
BetMix User

Quote:
I haven't seen that one either and with Console spitting out so many programs and variations on them, maybe it was an ealier iteration of one of his current ones?

BTW: I've also got Giles's Pace Appraiser and while I respect Randy, in my gauntlet test I wasn't able to use it to get to a positive ROI without hours of additional machinations per race card but I liked the fact that the program wasn't just another simple algorithm of the usual factors.

IDK if anyone has any success with that Randy's program.

I believe the Randy Giles program you are incorrectly referring to as "PaceAppraiser" and is currently being marketed by RPM is actually called "Handicappers Lab".

PaceAppraiser was an interactive internet service which unfortunately is no longer available. I had great success with it. I won P.A.I H.L contest on this site back in 2009 using PaceAppraiser.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:45 AM   #15
Topcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsnut View Post
I believe the Randy Giles program you are incorrectly referring to as "PaceAppraiser" and is currently being marketed by RPM is actually called "Handicappers Lab".

PaceAppraiser was an interactive internet service which unfortunately is no longer available. I had great success with it. I won P.A.I H.L contest on this site back in 2009 using PaceAppraiser.

Tku for the correction, you are right on the name of the program and I was thinking of paceappraiser.com which still comes up as a banner on the Hanicappers Lab program.