Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 12-30-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
Teach

Aqueduct: Sat., Dec. 30

Race One:

CADEAU DE PAIX (Peace Offering) caught both a large field and a runaway winner (Fly So High) in her only pari-mutuel start. Yes, this A.P. Indy-bred finished 4th as a nearly 20-1 shot (I don’t think you’ll get those kinda odds, today; if you do, it’s an overlay!). I watched the last-race replay. Yes, this bay filly finished out of the money, but she was caught 6-wide in the stretch. However, she finished with energy. A shorter field. An outside post, and I might add -- the services of “The Cajun,” “The Louisiana Kid,” Kendrick Carmouche, all enhance this filly’s chances of gracing the winner’s circle. Jim Bond – he’s having a solid “Big A” met - conditions this daughter of Majestic Warrior. Others: 4, 3, 2

Race Two:

COMPETITIVENESS is looking to make it 3-straight in this n3L claiming sprint. This well-bred, highly-priced 3-year old Empire Maker-bred should be out and going when the gates unlatch. He may well be playing: Catch-me-if-you-can. This Bodemeister-bred should take to any wet going (snow in NYC area). Andre Worrie switches his tack from upstate (Finger Lakes) to “The Big Apple”. This gelding’s trainer, Gary Gullo (he bases his operation out of Belmont Park) is having a very good “Big A” meet. Gullo does very well with claim repeaters. Also: 1, 3

Race Three:

VULCAN’S FORGE was ambitiously entered and, as it turns out, severely overmatched in his last start, The Cigar Mile. Alas and alack, this Giant’s Causeway-bred 4-year old colt is back in – 80k OC – with the kind he’s most capable of handling. Trevor McCarthy, a most capable jock, ships in from the mid-Atlantic states, to ride this grandson of Storm Cat. “Big D’s” Todd Pletcher, one of America’s leading trainers, conditions this Seeking the Gold-bred. This colt should be found closing with a rush in deep stretch. McCarthy must time his move perfectly to ensure a trip to the winner’s circle. Others: 5, 1, 2

Race Four:

I MISS MY FATHER, inexplicably – do I dare say the word, yes I will: “Suspiciously” drops from the 40k claiming ranks to a 14k after his last maiden-breaking win. Yet, I should state for the record that this 3-year old chestnut gelding does move into open company; he also moves up in class to face winners. Junior Alvarado is in the irons for the most capable conditioner, Linda Rice. Rice does exceptionally well with horses entered in claiming races. Others: 2, 1, 4

Race Five:

FUEL THE BERN switches from grass to dirt (I’ve stated, ad nauseum, that I like that angle). I also like the riding services of Dylan Davis. Davis has appeared to have found his mojo. Yes, this Bernardini-bred’s only win came on the grass. Yet, I believe this colt is capable of winning on the main (any moisture would help). A solid recent morning work bolsters confidence. Danny Gargan – he’s having a very good meet – trains this son of Storm Beauty. Others: 6, 5, 1

Race Six:

STARLITE MISSION came in at the start of her last race and was never a factor; she now comes back on relatively short rest in a race I believe she has a chance of winning. This bay filly is making her second start off a layoff. I believe there is room for improvement. In her two previous races, prior to her most recent effort, this 2-year old finished 2nd on both occasions. Gary Contessa trains; Joe Rocco, Jr. is in the irons. Others: 8, 4, 3

Race Seven:

SARATOGA GIRO draws outside in this OC sprint. This A.P. Indy-bred was narrowly 2nd in her last try against this very same company. I believe this colt moves up on a wet track. Paul Barrow owns and trains this daughter of White Slippers. Jeremy Rose (it’s hard to believe he’s 38-years old) is in the irons. Others: 7, 2, 4

Race Eight:

BATTLE STATION is my pick in the state-bred, 2-year olds, 100k, non-graded Damon Runyon. This Medaglia d’Oro-bred has been most competitive in all her races except one, the 250k Sleepy Hollow. This 2-year old should be a factor here from his outside post. Any moisture on the racetrack should be a plus. The colt’s trainer, Wesley Ward, does very well with both 2-year olds and horses going from sprint to route. Julio Garcia has his feet in the stirrups. Others: 3, 6, 1

Race Nine:

PAQUENO GRANDE switches from turf to dirt. Nuff Ced. This Rudy Rodriguez-owned and trained colt may well find a wet-dirt track more to his liking. I’m also intrigued by the drop out of the MSW ranks into a 40k maiden claimer. Rodriguez does well in that category. “Double-A,” Angel Arroyo, is in the irons. Others: 10, 8, 6

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply