Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 03-11-2018, 12:19 AM   #16
jay68802

And if you did not notice, the old Scotty Cameron putter is in use again.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2018, 12:26 AM   #17
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Tiger was swinging as well as anytime in the last 10 years.
Tiger was swinging great, the problem is his wife found out.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2018, 12:43 AM   #18
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Tiger was swinging great, the problem is his wife found out.
Has to suck when people bring up shit that is a decade old.

At least the Tiger Army is more than ready to support him.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2018, 01:50 AM   #19
NJ Stinks

Personally, I watch a lot of golf - including the Indian Open live from India right now.

Golf becomes almost impossible to watch if Tiger is playing decent. The announcers constantly drool stupid crap about how the rest of the field is in such awe of Tiger's hugeness. And the camera sticking to watching Tiger size up meaningless putts for at least 2 or 3 minutes is total BS.

If Tiger stays in the hunt tomorrow you watch. It will be nothing short of unwatchable.

Last edited by NJ Stinks; 03-11-2018 at 01:51 AM.
NJ Stinks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2018, 03:15 AM   #20
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks View Post
Personally, I watch a lot of golf - including the Indian Open live from India right now.

Golf becomes almost impossible to watch if Tiger is playing decent. The announcers constantly drool stupid crap about how the rest of the field is in such awe of Tiger's hugeness. And the camera sticking to watching Tiger size up meaningless putts for at least 2 or 3 minutes is total BS.

If Tiger stays in the hunt tomorrow you watch. It will be nothing short of unwatchable.
I was a massive Nicklaus fan as a kid. And even his "always" coverage became tiresome.

Ratings are ratings, and I'm a rabid fan of anything and everything Tiger.

Sorry.

Having played the game at a somewhat "high" level, he is the most captivating player I've ever seen. Jack included.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #21
tophatmert

He is 42 with several major surgeries behind him and his club head speed is the highest on tour or very close. Amazing.
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #22
Marshall Bennett

Quote:

Aren't a lot of sports similar in this respect. When the Patriots are playing all you hear is Brady, Brady. Tiger accomplished so much early in his career, its no wonder he draws crowds and attention. Nicklaus did the same right up till he retired. Ratings are everything in survival for the networks and their programing. Golf needs Tiger whether people like him or not.
He'll never regain the success he once had. There are too many younger guys playing lights out now. I still enjoy watching Tiger play though.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2018, 12:30 PM   #23
kingfin66
Bombardier

Golf has some great young stars, but none of them have the appeal of Tiger. What would be great would be to see Tiger engage in some final rounds with the Rory's and Jordan Speith's of the world. Age is age, and Tiger will not have a long run in him as far as winning a lot more tourneys, but golf fans should enjoy it while they can. This could be one of the more compelling Master's in years. Or, perhaps we have gotten ahead of ourselves. We will know very soon. I wrote him off in this very thread and am happy that I may be wrong. And this from someone who is not a particularly huge Tiger fan.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #24
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I expect ratings will be huge tomorrow. It would not be hard to imagine the ratings for tomorrow's final round surpassing those of the last several years' majors. Tiger Woods is golf.
One can only hope.

Personally, I have never been a golfer but have been a fan.

Actually used to play EA Sports Tiger Woods game to the point of near-addiction.

I root for the guy just as I did Pete Rose. Both have endured a lot for their mistakes.

GO TIGER!
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #25
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
Aren't a lot of sports similar in this respect. When the Patriots are playing all you hear is Brady, Brady. Tiger accomplished so much early in his career, its no wonder he draws crowds and attention. Nicklaus did the same right up till he retired. Ratings are everything in survival for the networks and their programing. Golf needs Tiger whether people like him or not.
He'll never regain the success he once had. There are too many younger guys playing lights out now. I still enjoy watching Tiger play though.
Tiger did things I never thought possible.

Shot a 40 on the front 9 of his 1997 Masters victory in which he set records that will stand for a long while (20 years thus far). Augusta ended up Tiger-proofing the course by adding rough and other things.

He won the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach at 12 under par while the entire rest of the field was 15 or more shots behind. His bogey free 67 in that final round when everybody else could barely manage to shoot par is one of the greatest rounds of golf I've ever watched. Simply phenomenal considering the circumstance and moment.

His 2008 US Open win at Torrey Pines, his last Major win, and maybe best, was done on one leg. He had to have 2 surgeries on his knee after that one, and unfortunately, has never been the same (sans Waffle House hookers and the like).

And then you have stuff like this that just aren't even possible:

And more. The last one, at 213 yards out of a bunker with a 6 iron completely over water to a tucked pin. The most incredible golf shot I've seen in my life. Sure, people can try to hit that shot, and maybe 1 in 1,000,000 have the talent and ability to pull it off, but he did it on the 18th hole. On a Sunday. To win a PGA tournament.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #26
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
I agree with you.

It's not a case of me not liking Woods. Hell, I bet on Tiger and he won for me in years gone by. I just dislike TV coverage that treats viewers like morons.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:50 PM   #27
upthecreek

10-1 to win Masters

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id...ampionship-run
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #28
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophatmert View Post
He is 42 with several major surgeries behind him and his club head speed is the highest on tour or very close. Amazing.
He hit 129 on Saturday! If he can find the middle of the clubface he will win a lot of tournaments.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2018, 07:54 PM   #29
AndyC

Quote:
I agree with you.

It's not a case of me not liking Woods. Hell, I bet on Tiger and he won for me in years gone by. I just dislike TV coverage that treats viewers like morons.
How so? He is the most compelling story in sports. He has won about 24% of his PGA starts. He performance is like Secretariat in the Belmont. It would be moronic of the TV coverage not to focus on Tiger. The fans showing up this week in person doubled expectations. And they came out for one reason- Tiger.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2018, 08:53 PM   #30
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
One can only hope.

Personally, I have never been a golfer but have been a fan.

Actually used to play EA Sports Tiger Woods game to the point of near-addiction.

I root for the guy just as I did Pete Rose. Both have endured a lot for their mistakes.

GO TIGER!

Dave,

EA Sports Tiger Woods, I was finally winning 72 hole tournaments when they stopped the game online.

You are spot on about watching Tiger and other phenomenal athletes. I watched Barry Sanders and Gretzky just because I hoped to see something truly great.

I have a few Tiger stories but I will share this one to my fellow veteran.

I was a pretty good golfer in high school, not pro caliber, but I would consistently shoot in the 70's. We played the championship tees on the varsity team and some courses could be extremely difficult.

There was a course in Riverside California, El Rivino, that held an annual high school tournament. The course played around 7,000 yards which in the early 80's was extremely long. Typically 54 teams or so competed and a top 30 finish was a good finish for my high school.

The first hole was a Par 6, yes a Par 6, that if I remember was about 760 yards or so. My senior year my buddy and I were still hammered when we teed off and my tee shot on one went about 20 yards. 18 holes later after carding a 110 I knew that drinking before playing was idiotic. BTW, my golf coach was not happy, lol.

Forward to 1988 and I am in Hawaii on my first Naval ship. I happen to call my golf coach, we became extremely close, and asked how the team was doing. He said they had played at El Rivino last week in the tournament and finished 17th. I congratulated him on the team's success and asked what was the low individual score. He said 66.

66? On this course, man that is unbelievable. I asked him what school did the medalist go to and he said he did not. I thought that meant the kid was in between transfers and wasn't eligible to "officially" compete yet. Of course after more discussion he told me it was that kid Tiger Woods who was invited to play with a coach from Cypress, California. He was 12, playing from the championship tees, and beating some pretty good high school players.

Aloha,

Geoff
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply