Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-01-2018, 11:39 PM   #31
lamboguy

Colonial is going to open this year with ridiculously high purses for its turf meet. if i was the guy in charge of distributing purses in New York, i would cut back the money distributed in the stakes problem and take that money and pay the insurance to get more guys on the grounds before the spring and summer meets look like this winters-edition.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2018, 03:33 AM   #32
appistappis
longshot kick de bucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
I don't follow any tracks north of Oaklawn in the winter. Shut it down already!
youre missing a gem in mahoning valley.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #33
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by appistappis View Post
youre missing a gem in mahoning valley.
Funny because I am in Ohio and know the circuit I do make that exception!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2018, 10:36 AM   #34
GMB@BP

"We need dirt horses"

ya, no kidding, other than Mdn races for two year olds it felt like there was a handful of full dirt fields at Belmont and Saratoga

Last edited by GMB@BP; 03-02-2018 at 10:39 AM.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #35
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
Colonial is going to open this year with ridiculously high purses for its turf meet. if i was the guy in charge of distributing purses in New York, i would cut back the money distributed in the stakes problem and take that money and pay the insurance to get more guys on the grounds before the spring and summer meets look like this winters-edition.
Do you mean use the money to try and make a more competitive betting option for gamblers? Tell the owners and trainers that they can have these larger purses if the field size is 8, but the purse will be reduced if the field size is below that. Use the money to improve your product and not for a windfall for a few people. Nonsense, with higher purses, the trainers can afford to pay the higher insurance cost and will not look at it as more profit for themselves. Higher purses are the savior of this sport. Full fields do nothing to increase handle. Just proves that subsidizing racing with no conditions will never work.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2018, 01:37 PM   #36
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
“Our $10,000 claimer runs for $20,000 and the $10,000 claimer at Parx runs for $28,000,” Panza said. “Our day rate is $100-a-day and the day rate down there is $65. We’re at a disadvantage on the cheaper end of our claiming races. That’s another thing we have to get the state to allow us to change.”
Why not just universally raise the claiming prices? Who does it help to have such a skewed claiming price to purse ratio?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #37
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Why not just universally raise the claiming prices? Who does it help to have such a skewed claiming price to purse ratio?
I'm not sure what the upside is to having a lot of activity at the claim box, but whatever incentive there is to claim is based partially on what you can earn relative to what you are paying for the horse (and the day rate and other costs). So let's say you thought you could claim some horse for 10K and have a decent shot of covering your annual training costs and getting back your investment, if the cost was suddenly 15k instead, you'd be less likely to make the claim. Of course, people could always negotiate privately.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-02-2018 at 02:51 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #38
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Do you mean use the money to try and make a more competitive betting option for gamblers? Tell the owners and trainers that they can have these larger purses if the field size is 8, but the purse will be reduced if the field size is below that. Use the money to improve your product and not for a windfall for a few people. Nonsense, with higher purses, the trainers can afford to pay the higher insurance cost and will not look at it as more profit for themselves. Higher purses are the savior of this sport. Full fields do nothing to increase handle. Just proves that subsidizing racing with no conditions will never work.
I've read these arguments before, but if you weren't planning to run your horse, what does telling someone the purses will be lower for those who DO run do?
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #39
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

If horsemen don't run there horses, there will just continue to be less and less races. It will just get harder to pick out a good spot.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:51 PM   #40
classhandicapper

Quote:
If horsemen don't run there horses, there will just continue to be less and less races. It will just get harder to pick out a good spot.
It's not like I have a lot of experience or am dealing with a lot of horses, but we've entered horses plenty of times and the race didn't fill.

I'm one of the partners in my group that wants to freshen our horses up from time to time, but I'd say our horses run less frequently than even I'd like because the races don't always fill. Usually, they'll try the race again soon after and it will fill, but those small delays probably translate into a lost race here or there. But mostly the trainer gets the final word. If he says the horse can run we run. If he says no it's no.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-02-2018 at 03:56 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #41
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
I've read these arguments before, but if you weren't planning to run your horse, what does telling someone the purses will be lower for those who DO run do?
Makes them compete for the purses instead of waiting for shorter fields. And creates a standard of competition. If they want the free money, make them earn it, instead of just giving it to them. Do you think that the people running there now are there because of the weather? Or are they there because of the lack of competition and the high purses? If Aqueduct was shut down now, the people that stayed would either be at Laurel, or Tampa because the competition at Gulfstream and Oaklawn is to much for them.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2018, 04:12 PM   #42
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
If the field are not filling, then the money is being wasted.
Right now, NYRA is getting next to nothing for it's purse money.
Perhaps is they want to be some "turfy" they should change their ridiculous model and run Toga and Belmont and get out of dirt racing altogether. Right their product suck and it sucks for a lot of money.

Would anyone miss all the cheap shit they card races for day in day out?
Old 03-02-2018, 06:06 PM   #43
dilanesp

Thoroughbred racing invented a surface that isn't grass and is easy on horses' legs, and which significantly increased field sizes at Hollywood Park, which had gigantic horse shortage problems.

What happened? Some influential handicappers and horsemen hated it, and all but killed it.

Want better racing? Bring back synthetic tracks.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #44
Cholly

“Our $10,000 claimer runs for $20,000 and the $10,000 claimer at Parx runs for $28,000,” Panza said. “Our day rate is $100-a-day and the day rate down there is $65. We’re at a disadvantage on the cheaper end of our claiming races. That’s another thing we have to get the state to allow us to change.”

Quote:
Here we go again. There was a reason NYRA instituted the maximum ratio for purse-to-claiming price: it was determined to be a factor in reducing fatality rates. NYRA's fatality rate has fallen since this was implemented. Can Parx say they have a safety record equal to NYRA? Does Panza not care about this anymore? Does equine safety take a back seat to field size?
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2018, 08:52 PM   #45
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholly View Post

Here we go again. There was a reason NYRA instituted the maximum ratio for purse-to-claiming price: it was determined to be a factor in reducing fatality rates. NYRA's fatality rate has fallen since this was implemented. Can Parx say they have a safety record equal to NYRA? Does Panza not care about this anymore? Does equine safety take a back seat to field size?
You missed my point by a mile.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: