Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
cees with dees
St.Jimmy

If you get a chance

Please watch Man Of Danger's race today and one back.
This horse is in obvious physical pain.
How does the track vet pass him??
And also, how many horses is David Jacobson going to be allowed to abuse and kill until he's suspended, hopefully this time, forever.
I'll never get the image of Hugable Tom out of my mind and until Jacobson admits guilt for that, how can he be forgiven for something he doesn't even acknowledge.
Ben

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-08-2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Cleaned up for prime time
cees with dees is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
toetoe
Veteran

Gladger back. .
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
tzipi

Having worked with horses and being around barns for years I notice so many tired sore horses, mostly low claimers, being brought out to the track day every week. It's really sad an they really don't care. The reason they do it.

1) The owners are just trying to make some kind of money to pay the bills and the trainers don't want to lose the owners and money by telling them no to their wishes.

2) Owners just keep running the run down horses hoping someone will claim them.

This mostly happens with low-mid claimers and most very rarely see layoffs. I shake my head when I see the rundown horses in the paddock get the go to start the race. A top jock can call off the race at the gate if a really bad warm up happens but a lower level jock needing money will try and run and make some money.
Just watch these "up the track" sore horses finish way way up the track again and come home struggling and breathing so heavy. Guess what horse? You're entered in another race next week. It's cruel and the one part I HATE about racing.
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
ernie simons

Looks like he ran a pretty good race. 3 wide in the turn and held onto 2nd by a half.

-George Augustus Sala (1828-95) English writer and journalist

Last edited by ernie simons; 04-08-2010 at 06:11 PM.
ernie simons is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Back story to Jacobson and Hugable Tom:

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/10/19/sp...-by-owner.html
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by cees with dees
Please watch Man Of Danger's race today and one back.
This horse is in obvious physical pain.
How does the track vet pass him??
And also, how many horses is David Jacobson going to be allowed to abuse and kill until he's suspended, hopefully this time, forever.
I'll never get the image of Hugable Tom out of my mind and until Jacobson admits guilt for that, how can he be forgiven for something he doesn't even acknowledge.
Ben
All I can say is "Heavenly Perfect"., and why no one was ever held
respnsible for the poor filly.
Only bringing her up due to your compassionate post.

Last edited by nijinski; 04-08-2010 at 06:32 PM.
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Back story to Jacobson and Hugable Tom:

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/10/19/sp...-by-owner.html
Jeeze

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
cees with dees
St.Jimmy

In addition to that article which really doesn't tell how horribly this animal was neglected, I saw him before he was put down and had spoken to several who had snuck into Jacobson's barn to feed him.
One was an illegal alien afraid of being deported.
David Jacobson is a person I wouldn't let take care of my guppy, nevermind a beautiful animal with the ability to feel pain just as we are.
How they let this person back in the game is astonishing.
if you make a point to look at his horses lines, none, and I mean none, ever improve.
I could even forgive him if he took responsibility for the hideous thing he did. But he never has. He's denied any responsibility from day one and still does as we speak.
A true lowlife that has no business taking care of anything.
Ben

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-08-2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Cleaned up for prime time
Old 04-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
tzipi

He should've been banned for life, based on that story.
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
LottaKash

I don't forsee running horses into the ground ending, anytime soon....Imo, there is just too much racing going on simultaneously throughout the nation, and there just aren't enough sound horses to go around anymore...That I believe is one of the many reasons why modern day American horse racing is dying a slow death these days.....Sad to see the poor equines being brutalized like that, week after week, after week, after week....

Greed, is so at work....Still...
Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by cees with dees
In addition to that article which really doesn't tell how horribly this animal was neglected, I saw him before he was put down and had spoken to several who had snuck into Jacobson's barn to feed him.
One was an illegal alien afraid of being deported.
David Jacobson is a person I wouldn't let take care of my guppy, nevermind a beautiful animal with the ability to feel pain just as we are.
How they let this person back in the game is astonishing.
if you make a point to look at his horses lines, none, and I mean none, ever improve.
I could even forgive him if he took responsibility for the hideous thing he did. But he never has. He's denied any responsibility from day one and still does as we speak.
A true lowlife that has no business taking care of anything.
Ben
Well said. The man really needs to go...in fact, I was stunned when they reinstated him. Unbeleivable.

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-08-2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Quote edit
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #12
cees with dees
St.Jimmy

I was really surprised also.
I can tolerate a lot of behavior and rarely will I sit in judgment on anyone.
In this case though where a human being abuses a defenseless animal, and one that had the temerment which fit his name like a glove, that has to be vocalized and as God is my witness, if I had been alerted to this catastrophe before it was more than too late, I'd have given my last dollar to make this animal at least comfortable.
That animal literally starved to death while in an inexplicable amount of pain.
It makes me nauseas to even think about it.
Ben

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-08-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Cleaned up for prime time
Old 04-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #13
cees with dees
St.Jimmy

This is the excerpt from the article.

While he never won a rich stake race himself, Hugable Tom served as Alydar's "rabbit" in the Flamingo, burning out the field per orders. Alydar won; Tom finished last. The story of his life: sold, claimed, reclaimed and claimed again. In the past two years Hugable Tom won eleven races, including his final one on June 20. Afflicted with degenerative hoof disease at the end, alleged to have been neglected by his trainer and said to have had to rely on backstretch helpers for food and water, he was "put down," and his carcass rendered into soap. The studs get the tombstones.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,925167-2,00.html#ixzz0kYXmB4oI
Old 04-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
cees with dees
St.Jimmy

This is a perfect example as to why I am a loyal supporter of Gary Contessa.
He treats every animal in his barn like he or she were a grade one winner and never ever puts damaged goods on the track.
There are several others. Of the big names, Todd Pletcher is one. John Parisella, another.
Thank God the list is quite long but just for the fact that there are a few dozen like Jacobson, that in itself is disgusting.
The most recent one I can think of is Rene Araya who has been gone for some time now.
I don't remember the horses name off hand but he was competitive in $50 claimers then all of a sudden, dropped in for 10.
Jose Santos was on and he walked to the front under no urging and broke down early into the clubhouse turn.
I haven't seen nor heard from Araya since but found out he had taken a recent life insurance policy out on this poor animal.
Nice huh??
Ben
Old 04-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Look, no matter who you're talking about, there are still certain things you can't say here on this board. Don't put me in the position of appearing to defend guys like this, because I don't like it. But I also can't let certain statements remain on this board because they put me in a difficult position.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply