Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-03-2007, 08:24 AM   #1
nobeyerspls

Does anyone go to the racetrack?

I just might be the odd man out here. I don't wager or watch races from home, I don't use handicapping software or watch replays, and figs are that sweet middle-eastern fruit.
I'm up at six and handicap three tracks at my dining room table using the form I bought on the way out yesterday. I finished Fort Erie and Woodbine and will do Saratoga later, but only the first six races because I'll get home before 4 o'clock and I don't like to bet races I won't see.
The track is less than a mile from my home but I'll drive today because they have a giveaway, a fleece blanket, and I don't want to carry it around all day. I'll sit in the owner's boxes (the owner's don't use them) near the finish line with some friends and we'll compare notes. Then it's back and forth to catch the simulcast races and a trip or two to the paddock to watch them in the walking ring.
The fear here in Fort Erie is that lower attendance could lead to the track closing. But then maybe all those people betting from home might save the place. So, are any of you going to the track today? Do you ever go?
nobeyerspls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Well, I went to Philadelphia Park yesterday to try to make some money.

I'd much rather go to the racetrack and bet on the live races (no simulcasts) than stay at home and watch them on the computer. There's something about the ambience that the track has...and I'm not talking about the cigar smoke and old men yelling at tv's either.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
DanG
Easy Goer

Other than Saratoga this year, maybe 10 live dates a year.

The advantages at home are too numerous to mention for my style of play. I love live racing, but I just can’t justify it logistically or financially.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
Spiderman

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobeyerspls
I just might be the odd man out here. I don't wager or watch races from home, I don't use handicapping software or watch replays, and figs are that sweet middle-eastern fruit.
I'm up at six and handicap three tracks at my dining room table using the form I bought on the way out yesterday. I finished Fort Erie and Woodbine and will do Saratoga later, but only the first six races because I'll get home before 4 o'clock and I don't like to bet races I won't see.
The track is less than a mile from my home but I'll drive today because they have a giveaway, a fleece blanket, and I don't want to carry it around all day. I'll sit in the owner's boxes (the owner's don't use them) near the finish line with some friends and we'll compare notes. Then it's back and forth to catch the simulcast races and a trip or two to the paddock to watch them in the walking ring.
The fear here in Fort Erie is that lower attendance could lead to the track closing. But then maybe all those people betting from home might save the place. So, are any of you going to the track today? Do you ever go?
The answer for you is "the track is less than a mile from my home .." I reside in NJ - MTH is a 45-minute drive with about $5 in tolls; BEL and Aqu are each about 30-minute drive and $13 in tolls.

I've set-up an action center and have developed a comfort zone to play in the comforts of home. With the Meadowlands simo center about a 10-minute drive for deposit/withdrawal visits, I see no need to go to the track.

I can review replay videos; check PPs and other stored documents; have access to view all tracks and have a separate browser dedicated to my own tote board. There is no extraneous noise distractions.
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
melman

I'm in the group that LOVES at home betting. Over the last few years I have gone to a racetrack maybe five or six times. I do make trips to a Philly Park Turf Club because it is located so close to my house. No traffic, no hassle, and the type of food I want without high prices and I can dress "casual".
melman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobeyerspls
NoBeyersPls,

If I could I would go. There are no tracks around Battle Creek Michigan. I go to the simlucast in Jackson just to see other cappers once in a while. There is something special about actually being around fellow cappers.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
nobeyerspls

Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiteri
NoBeyersPls,

If I could I would go. There are no tracks around Battle Creek Michigan. I go to the simlucast in Jackson just to see other cappers once in a while. There is something special about actually being around fellow cappers.
I'm an hour and a half from Gulfstream/Calder during the winter months so I go just a few times. The West Palm kennel club has all the horse tracks and it's only three miles from my home there.
I know what you mean about being around other handicappers. The track is a true democracy but instead of "one man one vote" it's "$2 one bet".
nobeyerspls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I go to FL once or twice a year. This year, maybe three times.
saratoga once a year. Batavia once or twice.
Iwent to Batavioa Friday and it wasa actually nice - comfortable, food was good, reasonably prices....unlike FL where those aren't grill marks!

Basically tracks do not know how to serve customers. Going there sucks.
If internet wagering went away, I would give up horse racing.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #9
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179
old men yelling at tv's either.
Imagine what it is going to be like in another 15-20 years when all those old men have died off. During the week it will be even more depressing than it is now.

By the way stay at home guys, I'm going to the "Big T" today, that's Timonium, to watch the 5/8 mile guys go round in circles. Eat your hearts out.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #10
Overlay

My primary aim in going in person anymore is just to add to my list of tracks I've been to (if I happen to be in the vicinity). Otherwise, my job usually has me living too far from a live facility for attendance on any kind of recurring basis.

Last edited by Overlay; 09-03-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #11
Light
Veteran

When I started playing the races around the mid 80's,there wasn't even on track simulcasting. Parking on weekends was full,and the place was packed on give away days. Made all my racetrack buddies during the next 10 years.

Those days are gone. Times have changed. Its all nostalgic now. One of our "rat track" buddies died recently from Cancer and now that is one of the few times we all get together again at the track, in a once a year "day at the races" to celebrate the good old days when we used to play the races with him at the track.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 11:49 AM   #12
northerndancer

I try to attend the live races whenever one of my horses is running or planning to claim one........ I will also make a point of going to a live track when I am on the road. I get to Woodbine about 4 times a month and Fort Erie 6 times a month. I will also catch my standardbreds live at Buffalo or Batavia Downs. I also will drive down to Mountaineer to catch a race live. I will fly into Boston to catch Suffolk or Philadelphia if one is running at Philly Park or Delaware or into Baltimore to catch one at Laurel, Pimlico, Timonium or Charles Town.

I have to say being set up at home with RTN (though the $99.00 a month I not pleasant), TVG & Youbet makes life very easy when it comes to never missing a race. I guess I am both a live guy as well as a very satisified homer.

Still wish I could get the smell and feel of the stretch run and paddock in my home!!!!!
northerndancer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #13
betovernetcapper

The last time I visited a track was ten years ago or so. I haven't even gone to an OTB in five years. Playing on the Internet has so many advantages I doubt I'll ever make a live visit again.

My posts & letters & avatars & whatever reflect solely my own world view- Born in 1948 and never an I.C.E. visit
betovernetcapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 01:12 PM   #14
sjk

At home you can easily bet 30-40 races a day and take breaks for other around the house activities whenever you wish.

After getting used to that it is hard to live with the inconvenience at most tracks. Last Saturday I was at Saratoga and made 3 bets all day.

For me a day at the track is very nearly a day off from betting.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #15
BillW
Comfortably Numb

It's a social occasion for me. Catch up with friends and have a good time. I save the serious stuff for home.