Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #1
RainMan

Does moving the rail out hurt closers?

Is there any evidence that the temp rail placement at certain tracks and distances affect running styles. I have never considered this a major handicapping factor but sometimes read or hear that the farther the rail is moved out the more it favors early or tactical speed. Does moving the rail out on the turf affect the tightness of the turns or the length of the stretch?
RainMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
TravisVOX
Track Announcer

It seems to be a common opinion but I think one reason that no one really mentions is the banking of the course... both the lack of and when outside horses are beyond the crown of course.
TravisVOX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #3
green80

moving the rail out makes the turn less tight. If your closer has trouble with tight turns it may help a little, there will be a few feet further to run.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
Tall One
Scum Bum!

When Bel placed their rail at 27ft, I paid more attention to inside speed.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #5
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Simply put, the more the rail is moved out, the less available space there is on the turf course to navigate through traffic for closers....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #6
Dave Schwartz

IMHO, the slower a race goes - and that can be translated into the longer it takes the winner to win - the slower a race goes, the greater the benefit to closers.

... Because if the race goes too fast, the closers are too far behind.

However, if ALL the early speed collapses, then the winner comes from the closers because they are the last men standing.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #7
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
Simply put, the more the rail is moved out, the less available space there is on the turf course to navigate through traffic for closers....
How much room does a horse need for navigation? Would a turf course ever be so narrow that a horse could not rally 8 wide?
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #8
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMan
Is there any evidence that the temp rail placement at certain tracks and distances affect running styles. I have never considered this a major handicapping factor but sometimes read or hear that the farther the rail is moved out the more it favors early or tactical speed. Does moving the rail out on the turf affect the tightness of the turns or the length of the stretch?
To answer your first question, yes. But there is no general rule. At some tracks it helps speed and at others it hurts speed. If you are going to bet the turf you should know each track's tendencies thoroughly.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:21 PM   #9
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
How much room does a horse need for navigation? Would a turf course ever be so narrow that a horse could not rally 8 wide?
Do all closers come with it 8 wide? Of course not, but as the rail is set further out, the options become more limited for closers, when navigating around traffic, splitting between horses and getting a hole through up the rail....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #10
green80

Quote:
If your horse is in a position where he needs to rally 8 wide, you need to change jockeys.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
To answer your first question, yes. But there is no general rule. At some tracks it helps speed and at others it hurts speed. If you are going to bet the turf you should know each track's tendencies thoroughly.
True, all tracks are different. You need to know them.

For those that haven't seen it, I did a piece on this for HANA about the Saratoga sprints and it has held up well this meet for me.

It is in this issue:

http://horseplayersassociation.org/july16issue.pdf

Last edited by cj; 09-02-2016 at 06:42 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #12
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

For those that haven't seen it, I did a piece on this for HANA about the Saratoga sprints and it has held up well this meet for me.

It is in this issue:

GREAT JOB as usual CJ! I Imbibed it and enjoyed it again!

Euros to Dollars baby
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2016, 07:33 PM   #13
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

It is in this issue:

So, if I read the study correctly , the old wives tale about rails out being bad for closers is not true for SAR. Never liked the theory , and you appear to have debunked it, at least for this limited sample
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2016, 07:36 PM   #14
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
Do all closers come with it 8 wide? Of course not, but as the rail is set further out, the options become more limited for closers, when navigating around traffic, splitting between horses and getting a hole through up the rail....
I don't follow your logic. What exactly is limiting the options? Unless a track narrows from 15 paths down to 6 or something similar I can't see where navigating becomes more difficult. What am I missing?
Old 09-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #15
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80
If your horse is in a position where he needs to rally 8 wide, you need to change jockeys.
With some jockeys I've seen that is known as "saving ground".