Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 07-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
Teach

Meadowlands: Friday, July 13

Race One:

This evening’s opener, the 2-year old Kindergarten trot, is a wide-open event. Frankly, any time you wager on 2-year olds, especially trotters, you must be careful. In this race, I’m going with the “outside” horse, 7 JUMALAY MASS. I’m impressed with her last effort at Yonkers (she finished 2nd). That 8-hole starting post at the “Ol’ Hilltop” is, as my friend, “Bucko Bobby” would oft say: “Bacio della morte” (“Hey, you wanna sleep with the fishes?”). If this gal can handle Yonkers half-mile oval, she should have little trouble this evening at “The Big Mile”. Marcus Miller drives; his father, Erv Miller, trains (Andy Miller is his uncle; Hannah Miller, his sister). Others: 4 Seaside Bliss; 5 Flos Conch Shack; 1 Stella Jane.

Race Two:

It’s the 75K NJSS Final. MOLLYDOOKER gets my call. This 2-year old Great Vintage-bred filly looked “razor-sharp” last week in this series’ preliminary round. Yes, she did draw the rail last week; this week, she’s moves outside to the 5-hole. It looks like trainer Tony Alagna has this gal straightened out (she had a hopples issues two races back). If this bay can come anywhere close to reprising last week’s winning effort, she’s most capable of romping over this field. The Toronto native, Brett Miller, handles the lines. Others: 4 Hurrikane Lori Ann; 1 Hurrikanesky; 2 Love Love Me Too.

Race Three:

My choice here in this Kindergarten Series, 2-year old colts and geldings trot, is 2 KREDIT KARMA. This alliteratively-named guy was an impressive 2nd to Don’t Let’em. This brown colt draws well. He retains the services of “Buckeye,” Dave Miller. This New York-bred could be sitting a “garden spot” trip. This fella’s speed appears superior to most in this field. Marcus Melander trains. Others: 6 Kings County; 8 Mister Serious; 5 Cotton To You.

Race Four:

3 BUPA BRUISER appears to be sitting on a win. He’s certainly faced better. In his last, at Pocono, he turned in a game effort finishing 4th. Marcus Miller reprises for trainer John Butenschoen. Others: 7 Outcry; 5 Roger Mach Em; 4 Rocket J.

Race Five:

In this NJSS Final, I’m going with 7 WHISPERING PINES. Her last was an impressive effort from a similar outside post. “Le Frelon Vert,” Monsieur Yannick Gingras, Sorel-Tracy sur Saint Lawrence, Quebec, Canada reprises the drive for trainer Jimmy Takter. Others: 1 Atonement; 5 French Café; 9 Special Honor.

Race Six:

3 GRIFFON HANOVER had a tough trip in his last against better. He now meets a softer bunch; it’s a group in which he can prevail. I suspect he’ll go “chalk”. Tim Tetrick, “The Bionic Man,” handles the reins for trainer Tom Fanning. Others: 4 Spicebomb; 1 Commentariat; 6 Hope for Badlands.

Race Seven:

5 BATTENBERG gets my tepid nod in this NJSS Final. This Joe Holloway-trainee has been “razor sharp”. “Buckeye” may well be sending this Trixton-bred straight to the top. If this colt can make the lead, he may be one tough customer. Others: 8 Hudson River; 1 No Drama Please; 2 Greenshoe.

Race Eight:

1 SILVERMASS VOLO is my longshot special. This Muscle Massive-bred may just work out the same trip that earned him a victory at Pocono. I see this guy sitting mid-pack, and then launching a closing brush. “The White Knight,” Brian Sears, retains the drive for trainer-owner Mike Holcman. Others: 5 Sutton; 9 Pinkman; 6 Murmur Hanover.

Race Nine:

In this Kindergarten Classic race, I’m casting my lot for 4 CHECK OUT TRIXIE. This Trixton-bred 2-year old picks up the services of Tim Tetrick. This filly’s last win in the Landmark at “Land o’ Goshen” (W.C. Fields) was impressive. If this gal runs back to that last race, she should easily prevail. Ray Schnittker trains. Others: 1 Speed Titan: 6 Susy; 2 Marveloustrix.

Race Ten:

It’s the Kindergarten series. I’m going with 4 BRADY BUNCH (Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!, or is that Tom Brady and the New England Patriots?). This colt was impressive in winning an a.m. race last week. He certainly merits serious consideration off that recent effort. Marcus Miller drives for his dad, Erv Miller. Others: 7 Sovereign Deo; 6 Winning Habit; 8 Alternative Fact.

Race Eleven:

6 MORE THAN TALK has faced better. He also gets a degree of post-position relief. This Chapter Seven-bred gelding retains the services of Yannick Gingras. My only concern: he may need to pick up “live cover” if he’s to mount a late-closing charge. Ron Burke of “The Burke Brigade” trains. Others: 4 Aventure; 2 Clifton Beach; 1 Mr Protab.

Race Twelve:

2 TACTICAL LANDING just missed catching Classichap last week. In his current sharp form, this “Hambo eligible” trotter merits serious consideration. This Muscle Hill-bred draws well; he should be near the front of the field in the early going. Jimmy Takter drives and trains this Pennsylvania-bred 3-year old. Others: 5 Eurobond; 7 Velvatter; 6 With Me Always.

Race Thirteen:

No triskaidekaphobia! I hope you’ve saved some “lettuce”. There’s a mandatory payout in this Race Thirteen Pick-5; the “pot” currently stands at nearly 277k. That, my friends, is “mucho dinero”. That nearly 300k amount should grow, exponentially. “Do I hear 400-thousand?” “Who’ll bet “a half-a mill?” You get the picture. These kinda opportunities don’t come around every day. So, as they say, “Let’s slay the dragon!” I’ve perused and scrutinized this race over and over again. My top pick is: 11 WHATA TWIST. This Quik Pulse Mindale-bred gelding starts from the second tier, right behind the number-one horse. That can, depending on the horse, be a big advantage, i.e., less exertion in getting into the early flow. “The Orange Crush,” Andy Miller, should have this bay gelding forwardly placed. I might mention that this choice is not for the faint of heart. This guy has won just one race in 48 tries during the 2017-2018 campaigns (he’s 3 for 81, lifetime). Yet, the potential exists. Stacy “Tough as Nails” Chiodo trains for Chiodo Racing, LLC. I’m going to provide several other horses whom I believe can be in the top grouping: 3 NY White Sox; 1 Super S Yzerman; 4 Atlas Alliance N; 8 Crombie A; 7 Buckeye in Charge. Finally, to my fellow horseplayers, Good Luck!

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply