Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)

Old 05-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #121
trigger

Sue'em All!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger
Organizing horseplayers is like herding cats.
Accordingly, IMHO, the only way the horseplayers are going to be heard is to convince one of the legals firms specializing in class action suits to bring an action(s) against all or some of the various parties (tracks, owners, trainers, tote systems, ADWs, OTBs, racing commissions, vets, etc) in the horseracing industry on the basis of that the wagering public has gotten screwed out of millions of dollars over the years because of actions by these parties.
Examples of screw-ups adversely affecting bettors that come immediately to mind include (1) mismanagement of the tote system that allows: past posting, possible exclusive access, ineffective monitoring of betting action to insure a level playing field, etc, and (2) haphazard monitoring of drug use.
If this kind of suit is successful, a negotiated settlement could involve lowering takeout.
"Betting system inquiry expands
A review found the malfunction wasn't limited to the Derby. Officials said the last number in any race was dropped on Quick Pick tickets, which were offered on any wager. The sale of Quick Picks has been suspended at California tracks.
The CHRB also alerted national authorities to the problem."
http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/955077.html

"Betting glitch spurs reform calls
The incident came to the attention of the California Horse Racing Board on May 7. It contacted the betting machine vendor, Scientific Games, which reported it had a "software glitch'' that was dropping the last horse in the field from quick pick tickets on all 7,000 of its BetJet machines nationwide
Regardless, the fact that 7,000 machines across the country had been malfunctioning indefinitely without anyone noticing is cause for concern, said Ed Martin, chairman of the Association of Racing Commissioners International.
"We spend a lot of time and focus policing the medication issue, but there is a collective need to focus on parimutuel wagering,'' Martin said. "It's the only form of legal gambling in the U.S. that has been allowed to operate absent a requirement for real-time monitoring.''
Mike Maloney, a big-time Kentucky horseplayer and bettors'-rights advocate, said that would be a step in the right direction.
"What disturbs me is that there's a continual, industry-wide lack of concern about protecting bettors' interests,'' he said. "When I trade stocks, I have the (U.S.) Securities and Exchange Commission to look out for my interests. In racing, there's no organization like that.''
For that reason, Maloney said, incidents like the quick-pick malfunction often get swept under the rug."
http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmate...mes/ci_9328859

From LATimes:
"Here's the release from the California Horse Racing Board, explaining what happens next. Though the California ban on Quick-Pick started on May 5, it wasn't until Blood Horse published its story two days ago that the racing industry learned of the investigation, according the the San Jose Mercury News."
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...uick-pick.html

NO MORE EXCUSES!!!!!!!!
Somebody has got to step in and put a stop this continuous willful mismanagement of the horse racing wagering system
trigger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #122
matthewsiv

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso
Don't you understand that the fight is between the horsemen and the tracks ... and that neither of those groups can dictate terms to the ADWs? The horsemen are trying to reserve an enormous chunk of TRACK REVENUE for themselves. This has nothing at all to do with how much the ADWs PAY for signals.

All it will take to protect ALL of their revenue streams is for the tracks to hang together. Failing that, they will surely hang individually.

Try your feeble divide and conquer game elsewhere. Few will be fooled by it here.

Yes, they have convinced me well beyond a reasonable doubt.

The horseman control the signal.
matthewsiv is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #123
matthewsiv

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph
Hello Kelso,
I like your ardor in support of the players but your enthusiasm may have clouded your vision of the bigger picture. You can't seem to find the forest due to all of the trees.

How many times have you seen my name listed as owner or trainer in the entries?

Horsemen DO in fact OWN their share of the racing signal. (By law of the Interstate horseracing act) They are allowed to sell or NOT sell the signal as they see fit.

No, ADW's are not asking for additional revenue beyond the scope of current agreements. The horsemen realize that tracks allowing them to sell their signal to ALL, can only benefit them (and players) in the long run. They are asking for their same share of all ADW wagering revenue as they recieve from on track wagers, nothng more.

I agree with you totally that any rebate action should be reflected instead in lower takeout percentages for ALL bettors. I say that horsmen are not interested in rebating anyone and they would rather support a lower takeout. They seem to understand that allowing the track owned ADW's to keep more than they do from the on track pools will only hurt them long term. Once given to magna and CDI et al, the profits vanish into the botom line of those corporations. Much better for everyone to OPEN the sale of the signal to all ADW's and then let them compete for online wagering dollars.

Horsemen do not care where the bet originates as long as they get he same cut into the pusre account for all wagers. Not 7% of on track, 5.5% of OTB and then only 3.3% of ADW. Hosremen do not care what the takeout percentages are as long as that does not decrease the overall contribution to their purse fund.

ADW's will be free to compete with rebates or what ever schemes they can dream up once the racing signals are not monopolized by any exclusive rights deals made in the past. Forgive horsmen their past mistakes and allow them to proceed in their best interest for the good of everyone.

So many long time experienced handicappers should really have a greater understanding of what is happening now and in how it can relate to better times for all in the industry who are willing to compete on a level that will allow service and satisfaction - for players to decide where to put their wagering dollars.

I'll shop at a Kroger type of ADW as soon as I can get the loss leader ad for the best deal. If CD is allowed to let Twin Spires monopolize the ADW market through exclusive rights to online wagering and services for their network of tracks it is bad for everyone - except the track operators. Let the track execs earn their keep by makng players happy and competing (with ALL allowed to purchase the signal/wagering rights) for our business.

Allowing the horsemen to keep their current share will make the game stronger. This is only a single part of the equation to begin returning our sport to the players. I think we are in basic agreement on several points here but this is a very complex issue. I am on the players side and I believe that the current horseman action on the ADW signal front is proper and good for players as well.

All of the tracks in Kentucky put together cannot come close to the economic impact to the state and country that the horsemen bring to the table. If CD and Magna shutter all of their tracks because of this ADW standoff, I say that is a very good start to getting our game back in order.

Murph
Murph

You are 100% correct.
matthewsiv is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2008, 11:47 AM   #124
Premier Turf Club
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewsiv
That's not correct. You jointly control the signal.

The tracks cannot simulcast without your approval, but you have no control over who the tracks do and don't offer their signals to. Therein, the problem and the reason industry the circles the drain.

In this slow dance of death the customers lose. Every time.

Last edited by Premier Turf Club; 05-21-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Premier Turf Club is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #125
Kelso
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewsiv
Don't get used to sleeping with it; it's gonna leave you cold.

Since you don't own the signals, you will soon lose control of them. The horsemen's recent manifestations of greed have hastened the process. The courts will put an end to your priviledged and indefensible restraint of trade. And your unequal treatment of domestic players ... the ones who are actually allowed to VOTE for Congress creatures ... in favor of foreign whales will cost you in Congress, as well. Way ta go, Mattie!
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote Reply