Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #106
Charli125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
With all that said, why must I read between the lines? Why not have an open debate on the issue?
I agree with this part.

If NYRA did ask the NYSRWB for permission to have a P5, and it was denied, I think that should be common knowledge. If the players really want the bet, and they keep pestering the NYSRWB and their elected representatives to get it, they might eventually give in. (Though that's doubtful given the amount of pestering that's been done in CA with no change.)

It would probably be political suicide at this point for NYRA to announce something like that because it just makes the NYSRWB look bad, and NY is far from the only jurisdiction that lacks transparency, but what is to be gained by keeping this hush hush?

I'm all for open discussions and I don't understand keeping these types of things secret.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #107
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli125
It would probably be political suicide at this point for NYRA to announce something like that because it just makes the NYSRWB look bad, and NY is far from the only jurisdiction that lacks transparency, but what is to be gained by keeping this hush hush?
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. But, people want to blame NYRA.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #108
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. But, people want to blame NYRA.
Just to be clear, I wasn't blaming NYRA for anything (okay I'd like an open debate), so I hope my remarks didn't cause you to post this. Nine out of my ten posts on NYRA are positive in nature.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #109
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Just to be clear, I wasn't blaming NYRA for anything (okay I'd like an open debate), so I hope my remarks didn't cause you to post this. Nine out of my ten posts on NYRA are positive in nature.
No, just the general nature of this thread.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #110
classhandicapper

If NYRA has already asked for the Pick 5 and it was denied, then NY racing is even more screwed up than I thought. My "read between the lines" interpretation was that it takes time because not only do you have to ask and get approval (always a tedious and slow process) you have other logistics to handle after you get approval.

It's sort of a shame that when NYRA screws up, NYRA gets the blame and when the way racing is organized in NY is the problem, NYRA still gets the blame, but I've seen this before at the OTBs. Some of the problems were external and forced by the state.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 07-04-2012 at 06:24 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #111
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
Yeah...but people like Jelly add so much to the forum, why ban them? You save the bannings for the people that really deserve it, right?
Yes, it's quite tough to get banned around here. You really have to be a total prick on a constant basis...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #112
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
If NYRA has already asked for the Pick 5 and it was denied, then NY racing is even more screwed up than I thought.
Or maybe they asked for it and it hasn't been approved yet. Either way, do you really think anyone from NYRA is going to make an official statement on the matter?

I mean I realize it's not like the NYSRWB to drag its feet on things...
Old 07-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #113
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Yes, it's quite tough to get banned around here. You just have to piss off one of the chosen few...
FTFY
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #114
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
Yes, it's quite tough to get banned around here. You just have to piss off one of the chosen few...over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...ad infinitum
FTFY
Old 07-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #115
jelly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
What do you mean "might" he have penned a column? He didn't, not that I can find. I've never seen any indication that he doesn't like the P5, especially if it is at a low takeout which seems to be the current trend.

Anything is possible, but I find it very hard to believe that even a comment to a NYRA employee would have much effect, and a comment to the R&WB even less relevant. How hard is it to read between the lines? It seems to me the bet was asked for, and approval wasn't given. I'd be shocked if I'm wrong on that.

Thank you,this was the first time I've heard that the pick 5 was asked for and denied.

I'm not even gonna ask when this happened
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #116
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Either way, do you really think anyone from NYRA is going to make an official statement on the matter?
Apparently not. I guess I don't see the big deal in giving some kind of carefully worded response.

The way it is now, people see that other tracks have already implemented it and will complain that NYRA doesn't have it yet.

You can't have your cake and eat it.

If people want it and you don't have it you have to either give them a status or live with the complaints - justified or not in this particular case. They aren't going to just assume that everything they want is being addressed and it's not NYRA's fault.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 07-05-2012 at 12:16 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #117
salty
undefined

Sorry I can't read through the entire thread. I just have to say something about the pick 5. This year I started playing it at keenland and I liked that it pays for 4 out of 5 and even better is that the returns are much higher than pick 4's with a 50 cent minimum bet. Even without carryovers, at a big track like ny it does offer that jackpot payout. In the end it should create more profit for nyra. Even if it does take out some money from the pick 4 and 6 in reverse it could add more money from people who want to try one more leg on the pick 4 and people who want to insure their pick 6's. I don't understand why a big track wouldn't offer every possible kind of bet. If I owned a track I would go nuts and offer twin Trifectas twin supers place puck 9s and anything else because that can only add more takeout to put in my pocket. I mean realy when the end of the year comes it will always add something to the bottom line.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #118
Vinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty
Sorry I can't read through the entire thread. I just have to say something about the pick 5. This year I started playing it at keenland and I liked that it pays for 4 out of 5 and even better is that the returns are much higher than pick 4's with a 50 cent minimum bet. Even without carryovers, at a big track like ny it does offer that jackpot payout. In the end it should create more profit for nyra. Even if it does take out some money from the pick 4 and 6 in reverse it could add more money from people who want to try one more leg on the pick 4 and people who want to insure their pick 6's. I don't understand why a big track wouldn't offer every possible kind of bet. If I owned a track I would go nuts and offer twin Trifectas, twin supers, place pick 9's and anything else because that can only add more takeout to put in my pocket. I mean realy when the end of the year comes it will always add something to the bottom line.
Salty....You go to the head of the class

Vinman
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply