Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #31
the little guy

I have one of the glasses in front of me. It's excellent. Honestly, I have rarely gotten the giveaways over the last 30 years, save the hats, but this one I would get as a customer. Plus it is packaged neatly in a nice box with the Saratoga logo.

I think it will be really popular.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #32
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
I have one of the glasses in front of me. It's excellent. Honestly, I have rarely gotten the giveaways over the last 30 years, save the hats, but this one I would get as a customer. Plus it is packaged neatly in a nice box with the Saratoga logo.

I think it will be really popular.
I'm like you in that I rarely ever have gotten the giveaways, but I always would get (and still have) the steins they used to give out. They were very nice.

Last edited by Dahoss9698; 06-26-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #33
badcompany

The Giveaway is a great idea, and there's nothing wrong with introducing something new, but, not including a t-shirt day, which, from my experience over the years, has been easily the most popular giveaway, not to mention the advertising and publicity that comes with people walking around in the shirts; that's just dumb.

― Thomas Sowell
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #34
iceknight

FREE OPEN HOUSE EVENT July 15th

I am tempted to go check this out...although I live far away in Penn..

http://www.nyra.com/belmont/stories/June262012.shtml

The familiar gates of Saratoga Race Course will open five days early as The New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) prepares to host its annual pre-season preview party, the 32nd annual Open House. A Saratoga tradition held prior to the start of racing season at North America’s most historic thoroughbred racetrack, Open House returns to kick off a full day of fun and attractions on Sunday, July 15, to benefit dozens of local non-profit organizations.

Saratoga's Open House offers a free sneak-peek into the popular summer meeting with a full day of games, activities, live music, food, pony rides, behind-the-scenes tours, mascot races, handicapping seminars, and non-wagering horse racing. The 32nd annual Open House will be held from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission and parking are free. ...more at this link

http://www.nyra.com/belmont/stories/June262012.shtml

I see this as a great opportunity to get new fans into the game or give them a chance to check things out for free and also watch non wagering races, just to get a hang out things.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #35
Grits

Quote:
I see this as a great opportunity to get new fans into the game or give them a chance to check things out for free and also watch non wagering races, just to get a hang out things.
You would spend far more on gas than you would save on parking and admission. You can park anywhere off Union Ave free everyday. (The same over at the Oklahoma.) You would, most likely, enjoy attending five days later on opening day far more.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #36
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcompany
The Giveaway is a great idea, and there's nothing wrong with introducing something new, but, not including a t-shirt day, which, from my experience over the years, has been easily the most popular giveaway, not to mention the advertising and publicity that comes with people walking around in the shirts; that's just dumb.
Seen the price of cotton lately? Not so dumb.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #37
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Seen the price of cotton lately? Not so dumb.
I doubt that's it - cotton's down 56% over the past yr - trades at 68 cents/lb now. It did have a huge run into the spring of 2011, which might be what you're thinking about.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #38
MaTH716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
I doubt that's it - cotton's down 56% over the past yr - trades at 68 cents/lb now. It did have a huge run into the spring of 2011, which might be what you're thinking about.
Why give away shirts for free when people will shell out $20-$25 bucks a piece for them?
MaTH716 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #39
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
You would spend far more on gas than you would save on parking and admission. You can park anywhere off Union Ave free everyday. (The same over at the Oklahoma.) You would, most likely, enjoy attending five days later on opening day far more.
Thanks for that tip. However, I would not have made the trip just for this alone. I have friends in Schenectady area... so this would have been on one of the days while I am there. I thought the free admission is useful for a group of 4-5 to get a nice preview and see some racing w/o betting.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #40
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
FL quit giving away golf umbrellas after several jockeys reported being "poked" on their way back to the jock's room after the races. Nothing over 12 inches is given away anymore.

Apparently, that chain link fence is not for the horses, as we were told.

En guard!
I have a vague recollection from the Sixties of the Reds doing Bat Days at old Crosley Field. They weren't full-sized bats, but they weren't miniatures, either...something about half- or three-fourths sized.

I also have a memory of some adults a few boxes over from us taking swings at each other before being ushered out.

They stopped doing Bat Days.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #41
jelly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
You're so disingenuous. You aren't interested in anything positive NYRA does.

For instance, I don't believe you have EVER ONCE commented on the following, which has been around now for quite some time:

https://www.horsegrader.com/hgweb/ho...ml?d=nyra.com#

The above was formerly known as "RaceQuest"

No comments about it when it launched, and no comments about it now.

In fact, none of the prominent NYRA bashers on this board has EVER had anything to say about this positive development by NYRA to attract new fans.

That speaks volumes as to your credibility and your total lack of desire to see anything but negatives.

Thanks for the link,I didn't know anything about this expert.

According to the "Expert" It's for those who think the conventional handicapping is to Complicated and overwhelming.

It's my opinion that you get the BASIC PPS to everyone in the world via internet and TV(bottom of screen)for free,kind of like putting a newspaper at your doorstop every day,sooner or later a certain number of people will pick up the paper.You then have them hooked for life.

The more you hide the PPS the less people know about the game.
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply