Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-23-2023, 01:38 PM   #16
mountainman

The brain activity of this guy (in his 80's) just stupifies me. An eternity of racing knowledge conveyed through non-stop texts both artful and well-structured.

The origins and evolution of odds-lines..pari-mutuel betting..takeout..speed figures..mechanical systems..statistical research..and much, much more, often weaving in first hand accounts of long deceased handicapping pioneers.

It all feels a bit like John Hancock started texting me about the revolutionary war. What's the movie where some dude's (Randy Quaid?) shortwave starts pulling in long dead relatives? That's my new I phone.

Hey, hold it..my recently discarded Samsung never did this......

Last edited by mountainman; 06-23-2023 at 01:41 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2023, 02:16 PM   #17
Johnny V

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
The only good thing I got from ATM was Taulbot and his books. T&SD was a much better magazine.
I also think T&SD was much better and better quality magazine. I had an opportunity to visit the library at KEE some years back and they have every single issue of T&SD from way back in the beginning.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2023, 04:03 PM   #18
thaskalos

There have always been multiple magazines for every hobby known to man...but there has never been a decent magazine for gamblers that has ever lasted for any length of time. The ATM was a joke as an "information source"...and only lasted as long as it did because there was nothing else available at that time for its targeted audience. The public was starving for "winning systems"...and the ATM feasted on the ignorance of the disillusioned horseplayers of that time period. The Horseplayer magazine was much better, but never gained a foothold, proving yet again that the vast majority of the horseplayers are allergic to thoughtful literature.

Back when I started gambling, there was a magazine called the Gambling Times...but that too didn't enjoy a long life span. There have been poker magazines going in and out of favor...but those too have lacked the longevity that one might expect, given the size of the gambling public out there. I can understand why there are no horse-betting magazines, since the horse-betting audience is so small...but the rest of the gambling market is HUGE, and it shocks me that there isn't a decent gambling magazine to cater to all the gamblers out there...especially now that sports betting has become legal. All the online gambling "magazines" that I've seen are a freaking JOKE!
Old 06-23-2023, 04:06 PM   #19
thaskalos

And don't get me started on the Phillips Racing Newsletter...
Old 06-23-2023, 04:46 PM   #20
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
The brain activity of this guy (in his 80's) just stupifies me. An eternity of racing knowledge conveyed through non-stop texts both artful and well-structured.

The origins and evolution of odds-lines..pari-mutuel betting..takeout..speed figures..mechanical systems..statistical research..and much, much more, often weaving in first hand accounts of long deceased handicapping pioneers.

It all feels a bit like John Hancock started texting me about the revolutionary war. What's the movie where some dude's (Randy Quaid?) shortwave starts pulling in long dead relatives? That's my new I phone.

Hey, hold it..my recently discarded Samsung never did this......
Lucky!
Old 06-23-2023, 09:15 PM   #21
aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
There have always been multiple magazines for every hobby known to man...but there has never been a decent magazine for gamblers that has ever lasted for any length of time. The ATM was a joke as an "information source"...and only lasted as long as it did because there was nothing else available at that time for its targeted audience. The public was starving for "winning systems"...and the ATM feasted on the ignorance of the disillusioned horseplayers of that time period. The Horseplayer magazine was much better, but never gained a foothold, proving yet again that the vast majority of the horseplayers are allergic to thoughtful literature.

Back when I started gambling, there was a magazine called the Gambling Times...but that too didn't enjoy a long life span. There have been poker magazines going in and out of favor...but those too have lacked the longevity that one might expect, given the size of the gambling public out there. I can understand why there are no horse-betting magazines, since the horse-betting audience is so small...but the rest of the gambling market is HUGE, and it shocks me that there isn't a decent gambling magazine to cater to all the gamblers out there...especially now that sports betting has become legal. All the online gambling "magazines" that I've seen are a freaking JOKE!
You are right.Barry Meadow once said, there is no system that works, because if there was a person would never divulge it.Most of the successful horse racing winners are just terrific players with a feel for the game.There is certainly enough information available that if you have the ability and feel for the game you can be successful.It is just very hard and time consuming. Systems can work for a period of time-out they have limited shelf life.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2023, 07:20 AM   #22
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post

I considered the magazines to be like any other discussion about handicapping and betting. It's mostly food for thought. It might bring you to some other area of focus or investigation, possibly a new way to look at something you hadn't considered which may have some relevance. At the end of the day the people winning at gambling on horses have mostly worked hard at doing it, while the people trying to find out how it can be done are largely just looking to play (not so much work) so I can understand why gambling periodicals have only been kind of 'niche' over the years, I suspect the actual learning, investigation, research etc that may be needed is not even appealing in the least bit to most people who gamble.
Old 06-24-2023, 10:35 AM   #23
mountainman

I've never so much as dabbled in "systems", nor can I remember even reading one. But assuming that ancient purveyors of mechanical handicapping methods necessarily lacked knowledge or expertise strikes me as akin to holding our forefathers accountable to modern standards of political correctness. Especially those who also wrote (well) on non-regimented approaches.

My one issue with these "old ones" is the unfortunate element of hucksterism sadly present in their marketing and sometimes even articles.

Please note CAREFULLY that I don't absolve my octogenarian pal of this sin.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply