Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:10 AM   #1
v j stauffer

RACECALLING

Here's a question I've long wanted to ask. I'd very much appreciate your feedback.

I'm posting this exact text on 5 horseracing discussion boards. DMFF, TrackChampion, DerbyTrail, PaceAdvantage and TVG

I think it's the best way to reach the greatest number of racing fans from the most diverse points of view.

A week or so ago I made a racecall at BHP that involved a horse, Siempre Mio, that was owned in part by Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol of the L A Lakers.

I scripted and rehearsed what I intended to say if the horse went to the front and battled for the win all the way which fortunately is exactly what happened.

Here's what I planned to say.

Start: Siempre Mio wins the jump ball.

Backstretch: Siempre Mio is on a fast break.

Turn: Siempre is islolated and about to drive the lane ( messed that one up a bit )

Stretch: Look's like it's gonna be a buzzer beater. ( flaked on that. never said it)

Wire: Siempre Mio strikes like the Black Mamba

Let me first say it's nothing new for me to plan in advance what I'm going to say and often times rehearse it in the last few minutes before post time.

I'll do this in two different scenarios. A very significant stakes race which might have historical impact. I want that call to be as good as possible and will do anything I feel with help achieve that goal.

The second is promotion of a special horse, owner or anything that might catch the interest of non traditional racing fans.

I've done that before when Joe Pesci or Jim Rome someone like that ran a horse.

In this case I felt there were many positive reasons to make this call. Maybe Kobe and or Pau would be made to feel special or just think it was cool. IMO having their continued involvement in our sport could have nothing but a hugely positive effect.

I also thought if he'd won perhaps the footage might be shown on that nights Sport Center. Who know's who might have seen it and said to themselves wow that's cool. If Kobe and Pau are into it I'm gonna check it out.

Obviously some of you are going to hate the very idea of such pre-planning or something this gratuitous. I get that. Harry Henson would roll over in his grave if he knew about this. Don't forget though we're in a day and age that cultivating news fans is critically important.

I would very much appreciate your input on this matter.

Fire away.

Thanks V J S

Here's the race.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
v j stauffer

*OK I GUESS I NEED MORE HELP THAT I THOUGHT. COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST A LINK FOR THE RACE. IT'S JUNE 17 RACE 1*thanks
Old 06-26-2012, 05:17 AM   #3
Shelby

I watched that race.

I love it when a caller adds in some extra information like that. Makes it more interesting.

I wonder if Kobe and Pau will get another horse ....I saw this one was claimed.
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
fiveouttasix

One clever reference near the end of the race would be great IMO...more than that may be overkill, making the call sound too scripted.
fiveouttasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
levinmpa

Vic.

I think you do a great job. I'm sure some players/fans will have an issue with rehearsing, but I don't think it's a problem. As a player, I just want an accurate call, but I like your thinking as far as promoting the game. If a race call can get on Sportscenter for the right reasons, it's good for the game. I personally don't watch Sportscenter because I despise ESPN, but I understand its impact on the mainstream sports fan.

All the best Vic, and keep up the good work.
levinmpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

If their horse would have won, I'm sure it would have been on SC anyway. The rest is manufactured self promotion, just like this thread. At least you are consistant though....
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
If their horse would have won, I'm sure it would have been on SC anyway. The rest is manufactured self promotion, just like this thread. At least you are consistant though....
No soup for you!!
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
Greyfox

I enjoyed your call and never would have guessed that you had rehearsed it.
Personally, I don't play short fields. It must be tough trying to make them exciting. Good race to the finish on Race 1 though.

Here are the race replays for Hollywood that day.
The Race 1 starts at about the 59 second mark.

[YT="Hollywood Park Race 1 June 17"]mGVhzuMVqJQ[/YT]
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Other than the thread, Durkin does the exact same thing for certain races....
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
v j stauffer

Quote:
Al. As I said I'm simply looking for the opinion of a wide range of horseplayers. There's nothing in it for me personally either way.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Just awful.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Just awful.
You know,I get it that some here don't like Vic for various reasons (public personas tend to polarize people, especially in this game), and I haven't actually listened to the call because i'm on the train and unable to watch video, but was it really that bad, or is your comment more general in nature?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
You know,I get it that some here don't like Vic for various reasons (public personas tend to polarize people, especially in this game), and I haven't actually listened to the call because i'm on the train and unable to watch video, but was it really that bad, or is your comment more general in nature?
Just my opinion. I'm never a fan of manufactured calls in any sport. "Wins the jump ball"...really?

Last edited by cj; 06-26-2012 at 10:29 AM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
usedtolovetvg

VJ, I will start out by saying I love your calls. You are unique to the industry. I really think your energy, enthusiasm, anticipatory abilities, and knowledge are unmatched by any other race caller. Saying that, a horse race is, by its very nature, inherently free form and unscripted. The race call, for me, should reflect that. I don't mind when a caller comes up with a great line and uses it if the opportunity arises. Too much scripting takes away from the spontaneity of the race itself. In order to accomplish all the lines, the race call sounds forced and unnatural. That is not to say all the bits and gags can't be put in but then the caller must become an actor to make it sound like an ad lib and that is tough to do. Frank M. does this when he impersonates all those celebs. Frank turns the race into a platform for him and his talents but then the race takes a back seat. For me the race is Johnny Carson and the caller, Ed McMahon.
usedtolovetvg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveouttasix
One clever reference near the end of the race would be great IMO...more than that may be overkill, making the call sound too scripted.
i agree completely, use one good catchy phrase to capture the winner or finish of the race. during the start and running of the race stick to "whose doing what".......thats what people care about if they can't see their horse running.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply