Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-23-2021, 10:41 PM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Knicks Go

For a long time I’ve said today’s horses don’t run the same fractions as the good horses from the past.

Color me super impressed with Knicks Go

Wow!
Old 01-23-2021, 10:46 PM   #2
Vinnie

That was impressive Ralph. I believe 46.19 in the half and simply kept on trucking. Superb performance by an excellent horse.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
ubercapper

I think it showcases the "ALPHA" in a horse psychologically. When some horses get to lead the pack they are nearly impossible to beat. We use phrases like "Run them off their feet" which are cute to say but there's just something about some horses on the lead getting more and more confident during a race, particularly at that level.

I recall for most of his career, Game on Dude was the same way.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2021, 02:25 PM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I have not seen a horse run like that in quite a while.

Nice to have horse to cheer for
Old 05-25-2021, 09:53 AM   #5
classhandicapper

With Charlatan on the shelf, Knicks Go will be running in the Met instead of the original spot.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:47 AM   #6
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
With Charlatan on the shelf, Knicks Go will be running in the Met instead of the original spot.
Less than 3 weeks ago, Knicks Go was pointing for the Sexton Mile at Lone Star Park because Cox says he feels the horse is "better around two-turns" and it was a "great race" to start back from his middle eastern debacle.

Now suddenly he's good to go in a Grade 1 around one-turn because Charlatan is out. What a competitor...

Of course, even the Charlatan excuse might be BS (since he was already out before it was revealed he had been turned out with Baffert having been banned by NYRA).

The Sexton Mile drew the Grade 2 win machine By My Standards and top rated sprinter C Z Rocket.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #7
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Less than 3 weeks ago, Knicks Go was pointing for the Sexton Mile at Lone Star Park because Cox says he feels the horse is "better around two-turns" and it was a "great race" to start back from his middle eastern debacle.

Now suddenly he's good to go in a Grade 1 around one-turn because Charlatan is out. What a competitor...

Of course, even the Charlatan excuse might be BS (since he was already out before it was revealed he had been turned out with Baffert having been banned by NYRA).

The Sexton Mile drew the Grade 2 win machine By My Standards and top rated sprinter C Z Rocket.
I guess after Saudi Arabia, it's somewhat understandable they wanted to avoid Charlatan, as his speed is as big a problem for Knicks Go as his talent. If he could win the Met, it gives him a legitimate chance, depending obviously on a lot of things, to be Horse of the Year.

I am particularly glad to see Caddo River is apparently now running in the Woody and not the Matt Winn. It makes so much sense.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2021, 11:38 AM   #8
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
I guess after Saudi Arabia, it's somewhat understandable they wanted to avoid Charlatan, as his speed is as big a problem for Knicks Go as his talent. If he could win the Met, it gives him a legitimate chance, depending obviously on a lot of things, to be Horse of the Year.
I just enjoy the typical trainerspeak going to great pains to justify why a major event doesn't suit their top level horse and then do a 180 when the favorite falls by the wayside. Completely disingenuous.

Of course, I was expecting him to do the same 2 weeks ago with Mandaloun...

Quote:
I am particularly glad to see Caddo River is apparently now running in the Woody and not the Matt Winn. It makes so much sense.
Only way that entry makes sense is if he shows up subsequently in Florida with new trainer Juan Reviriego...
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2021, 12:05 PM   #9
GMB@BP

God Knicks Go has gotten so good, Cox really has developed him from 2,3,4 and now 5. Impressive training job.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2021, 02:15 PM   #10
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
It's unfortunate. Between keeping young horses lightly raced and the best horses avoiding each other the strength of graded stakes races in the US keeps declining.

Just the other day I did a 3 year rolling average of Beyer figures for older male graded stakes races on turf and dirt. They are all down about 2 points since late 2014 (the start of my database).

The Grade 1 races for older males were down around 6 points from the peak of public Beyers in the 90s when I checked a few years ago. So Grade 1 older males are down about 7-8 points. It has been much less dramatic for fillies and mares because at least they often keep running and face each other.

Even if some figure drift is involved, you can look at some of our Triple Crown races and see that most of the contending horses still have a condition. By the time they reach their peak they will be long retired.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 05-25-2021 at 02:19 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2021, 06:05 PM   #11
1st time lasix

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
God Knicks Go has gotten so good, Cox really has developed him from 2,3,4 and now 5. Impressive training job.
He was previously trained by Ben Colebrook.... gained about 100 pounds when he was moved to Cox
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2021, 09:17 PM   #12
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time lasix View Post
He was previously trained by Ben Colebrook.... gained about 100 pounds when he was moved to Cox
I am sure he just had his teeth floated and that allowed him to eat better and be a more comfortable animal.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:58 PM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I am sure he just had his teeth floated and that allowed him to eat better and be a more comfortable animal.
There is jaded, and then there is Greg. I don't know how you get up the spirit to even watch a race any more tbh.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2021, 10:06 PM   #14
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
There is jaded, and then there is Greg. I don't know how you get up the spirit to even watch a race any more tbh.
Lets see who has good memories on the teeth floated comment.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:26 AM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Lets see who has good memories on the teeth floated comment.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: