Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

For Louisiana racehorses, failure at the track can end in a deadly fashion

https://www.nola.com/news/article_47...8041f61a4.html
Old 07-21-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

This is the most heartbreaking thing I've read in many a day! I'm not sure most of you will take the time to read it in its entirety, however, we all should. We owe it to the horses.

We've spoken here, in the past, about Delta and Evangeline being dumps....end of the line for horses. But, I didn't know how bad it was in Louisana, until this; maybe due in part to...I know so little of Twitter. It seems a good amount of this came to light there, and probably FB, too.

Be sure, gentlemen, if this gets out, all the way to national news desks, horseracing will end. Truly, this won't be allowed to go on. Don't care how many tracks there are, how many farms there are, how many jobs are provided, etc, etc, the sport will cease to operate.

This is mind boggling, this kind of suffering at the hands of common lowlife bastards (I'm sorry for my language) that won't get a real job? There's a special place in hell for these folks. Until hell is attained, I hope their sorry asses rot in a jail cell.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 06:16 PM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
This is the most heartbreaking thing I've read in many a day! I'm not sure most of you will take the time to read it in its entirety, however, we all should. We owe it to the horses.

We've spoken here, in the past, about Delta and Evangeline being dumps....end of the line for horses. But, I didn't know how bad it was in Louisana, until this; maybe due in part to...I know so little of Twitter. It seems a good amount of this came to light there, and probably FB, too.

Be sure, gentlemen, if this gets out, all the way to national news desks, horseracing will end. Truly, this won't be allowed to go on. Don't care how many tracks there are, how many farms there are, how many jobs are provided, etc, etc, the sport will cease to operate.

This is mind boggling, this kind of suffering at the hands of common lowlife bastards (I'm sorry for my language) that won't get a real job? There's a special place in hell for these folks. Until hell is attained, I hope their sorry asses rot in a jail cell.
It makes you want to quit......... I play very little now........but after reading this ........ how do you give your money to these bastards. I won't play Louisiana anymore for sure
Old 07-21-2019, 06:20 PM   #4
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

It's sad that I live in Louisiana and barely play any of the tracks here.
Evangeline is 20mins away and I haven't bet a dime there in about 4yrs.

Ugly situation
Old 07-21-2019, 06:29 PM   #5
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
It makes you want to quit......... I play very little now........but after reading this ........ how do you give your money to these bastards. I won't play Louisiana anymore for sure

JR, it does. It simply hurts my soul. This is really upsetting.

Phantom, why doesn't the state close those tracks?
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #6
dilanesp

Just breaks my heart.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2019, 12:15 AM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Horrible stuff. Lets be honest here, Louisiana has long been a black eye on horse racing with all kinds of crazy, nefarious stuff going on there. All it takes is one bad apple to spoil the bunch and this is exactly the kind of thing that can kill the sport nation wide, not just in Louisiana.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2019, 12:28 AM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Wait, they are quoting Dina Alborano as some savior of horses? I thought she had been been shown to be a part of the ransom scheme and was in trouble herself? Now I'm confused. The writer is making her out to be someone that was bamboozled by this Hal Parker guy.

Last edited by cj; 07-22-2019 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:30 AM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The way I read it, seemed as though the writer was saying she was enabling him...perhaps unwittingly? Either way, the author's opinion of her seemed somewhat neutral...or at least that's how it came across to me...

Maybe I need to read it again.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:37 AM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
The way I read it, seemed as though the writer was saying she was enabling him...perhaps unwittingly? Either way, the author's opinion of her seemed somewhat neutral...or at least that's how it came across to me...

Maybe I need to read it again.
The more I read the more confusing it was. He seemed all over the place. He did cast some suspicion on her the deeper you get into the article.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:55 AM   #11
horsefan2019

They probably had good intentions in rescuing them, but like all situations where people take in more animals than they can afford to take care of them, it ends up to be a hoarding situation where it goes out of control. The resulting situation is that the animals starve and become neglected.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2019, 02:23 AM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
They probably had good intentions in rescuing them, but like all situations where people take in more animals than they can afford to take care of them, it ends up to be a hoarding situation where it goes out of control. The resulting situation is that the animals starve and become neglected.
I read it completely opposite of that.......
Old 07-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #13
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post

Grits, the story made the Drudge Report this morning.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2019, 07:32 AM   #14
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The more I read the more confusing it was. He seemed all over the place. He did cast some suspicion on her the deeper you get into the article.
I'm looking forward to part 2 of the story Wednesday.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:56 AM   #15
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Ralph, for what it's worth in a little over a year NTWO has rescued roughly 200 horses directly from connections at EVD and DED. Two years ago those horses would no doubt have ended up at Thompson's Kill Pen.

I also would like to thank Eric Halstrom, the new Director of Operations at Louisiana Downs, for his proactive stance on this issue. This past Saturday, everyone walking through the doors at La. Downs had to pass by a booth manned by New Vocations Racehorse Adoption, a legit 501(c)(3) nonprofit, and the booth was drawing considerable interest from horseplayers. New Vocations just opened a facility outside New Orleans.

I've long been one of Louisiana racing's strongest critics. But I'll have to admit that progress has been made, albeit much slower than I'd like. Personally, what I'd like to see are wholesale changes at the Louisiana State Racing Commission with the exception of couple of good and decent -- but outnumbered --commissioners.

Last edited by Mulerider; 07-22-2019 at 07:57 AM.