Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-02-2021, 09:45 PM   #31
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
I’ve quit judging people. If someone’s not physically threatening then they get a smile and a pass.
My response is in reference to your response to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Dave, you make a valid point. But the prevailing attitudes and sense of entitlement make it harder and harder to find those that deserve a break. I deal with it every day.
TJDave,

I seriously doubt that anyone can truthfully say that they don't make judgements.

Considering the city that you live in, are there areas that you would see as more dangerous than others? Perhaps areas where you might fear for your life walking around at (say) 11pm?

If so, I would say that you are making a JUDGEMENT that is (most likely) directly connected to race.

The fact that you don't say, "I wouldn't walk through that neighborhood because it is predominantly ______" (fill in the blank) does not make it any less a JUDGEMENT.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2021, 10:57 PM   #32
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I am not in an upscale area and a big portion of my clientele are on public assistance.

I don't care what color you are as long as you act right.

In the last year my staff has been punched, screamed at and shot at. Just another day in the neighborhood…..

Care to guess the race of all of these offenders?
White
Old 11-03-2021, 02:49 PM   #33
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
I seriously doubt that anyone can truthfully say that they don't make judgements.
I used to be the most judgemental person I know. I don’t have time for it anymore. At this stage in my life I’m more concerned with being comfortable and much less concerned being right. I’m pretty much immune from most of society’s troubles so I basically just don’t care. I smile, call everyone friend. Life’s fun.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:53 PM   #34
Elkchester Road

Quote:
I used to be the most judgemental person I know. I don’t have time for it anymore. At this stage in my life I’m more concerned with being comfortable and much less concerned being right. I’m pretty much immune from most of society’s troubles so I basically just don’t care. I smile, call everyone friend. Life’s fun.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:34 PM   #35
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
So, you have no problem walking through any part of the country at any time of day or night?

Or do you not see that as making a judgement?
Old 11-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #36
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
The honesty is refreshing.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:05 PM   #37
TJDave

Quote:
So, you have no problem walking through any part of the country at any time of day or night?

Dave, I am so far removed from making those kinds of decisions that it barely registers. I don’t live anywhere near those places so I could care less. I’m not concerned.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #38
Poindexter

Quote:

Being sensible is not making a judgement. Bad areas are bad areas. Whether mostly black or mostly latino or mostly white or mostly whatever, if they are high crime areas, you should not be walking through them at night. Doesn't mean that the majority of people living in these areas are bad people or criminals, they just unfortunately cannot afford to live elsewhere. They are victims that have to deal with the criminal element on a daily basis.

Making a sensible safety decision is not judging people by the color of their skin. Assuming people are bad people because of the color of their skin, whatever color that may be, is wrong. Innocent until proven guilty needs to go beyond the courtroom. It starts with respecting everyone and not making assumptions about anyone.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2021, 04:56 PM   #39
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Being sensible is not making a judgement. Bad areas are bad areas. Whether mostly black or mostly latino or mostly white or mostly whatever, if they are high crime areas, you should not be walking through them at night. Doesn't mean that the majority of people living in these areas are bad people or criminals, they just unfortunately cannot afford to live elsewhere. They are victims that have to deal with the criminal element on a daily basis.

Making a sensible safety decision is not judging people by the color of their skin. Assuming people are bad people because of the color of their skin, whatever color that may be, is wrong. Innocent until proven guilty needs to go beyond the courtroom. It starts with respecting everyone and not making assumptions about anyone.

Being sensible is all about making a judgement. How do you know an area is bad? You look at all available factors, including your personal experience (and biases), and make a judgement.

So if a person of any color wearing torn dirty clothes is walking in your direction talking loudly to him/herself you would simply assume that this person is of sound mind and not be at all concerned? Judgements don't have to be 100% or 0%.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:07 PM   #40
Dave Schwartz

Quote:

I'm really not trying to be confrontational here. (That is reserved for only a couple of people in my world and I work to avoid them.)

Like you, I see it as "being sensible."
But I also see it as a JUDGEMENT and I contend that we make them all the time.

I was questioning whether or not a person could go through life making no judgements. I do not feel it is possible.

I also differentiate between "making judgements" and "being judgmental."
Old 11-03-2021, 05:18 PM   #41
thaskalos

If my car is supposed to break down at night...then I would much rather have this happen in Lake Forest, than in West Englewood. And if this means that I am "racist"... then I can live with that.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:25 PM   #42
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Being sensible is all about making a judgement. How do you know an area is bad? You look at all available factors, including your personal experience (and biases), and make a judgement.

So if a person of any color wearing torn dirty clothes is walking in your direction talking loudly to him/herself you would simply assume that this person is of sound mind and not be at all concerned? Judgements don't have to be 100% or 0%.
No you are making a sensible judgement that the person is homeless. In most cases they are nuts(or drugged out) and harmless, but you need to be wary, maybe keep an eye out and a bit of a distance as he approaches, because there are instances when a homeless person will cold cock you. The point I am trying to convey is to respect people no matter what race they are. Too many people make a judgement based off of someone's race. That is unfair to the person.

To give you an example, you are going to dinner at a nice restaurant in a very white area and as you approach a black couple(or any other race for that matter) is also approaching and you sort of meet up. Now you can have this attitude or why are they here, you can ignore them or you can authentically (not phony baloney like you are Gavin Newsom) smile (can't see a smile in California but you get the point) and ask them how are they doing tonight. What reaction is going to make them feel welcome and make their evening better (not that they should have any legitimate reason to not feel welcome-but given this countries history there is plenty of reason why they may not feel welcome, which is wrong and sad). This is what I am trying to drive home. Respect everyone. We all need work in this area, myself included, so let's work on it and let's make this world a better place one person at a time without intervention from Government (which just pisses people off and makes things worse not better, crt.....).
Old 11-03-2021, 05:47 PM   #43
AndyC

Quote:
No you are making a sensible judgement that the person is homeless. In most cases they are nuts(or drugged out) and harmless, but you need to be wary, maybe keep an eye out and a bit of a distance as he approaches, because there are instances when a homeless person will cold cock you. The point I am trying to convey is to respect people no matter what race they are. Too many people make a judgement based off of someone's race. That is unfair to the person.

To give you an example, you are going to dinner at a nice restaurant in a very white area and as you approach a black couple(or any other race for that matter) is also approaching and you sort of meet up. Now you can have this attitude or why are they here, you can ignore them or you can authentically (not phony baloney like you are Gavin Newsom) smile (can't see a smile in California but you get the point) and ask them how are they doing tonight. What reaction is going to make them feel welcome and make their evening better (not that they should have any legitimate reason to not feel welcome-but given this countries history there is plenty of reason why they may not feel welcome, which is wrong and sad). This is what I am trying to drive home. Respect everyone. We all need work in this area, myself included, so let's work on it and let's make this world a better place one person at a time without intervention from Government (which just pisses people off and makes things worse not better, crt.....).

Sensible actions stem from good judgement.

I respect everyone's rights as a human being. Respect on a personal level needs to be earned.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:18 PM   #44
Poindexter

Quote:
I'm really not trying to be confrontational here. (That is reserved for only a couple of people in my world and I work to avoid them.)

Like you, I see it as "being sensible."
But I also see it as a JUDGEMENT and I contend that we make them all the time.

I was questioning whether or not a person could go through life making no judgements. I do not feel it is possible.

I also differentiate between "making judgements" and "being judgmental."
We all make judgments. It is what we do with those judgements that can be the issue. You don't have to broadcast your judgements with your actions or your facial expressions or your behavior. By the same token evaluate and re-evaluate your judgements as time goes on, because they may not even be accurate.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:31 PM   #45
MargieRose

Quote:
If not, then why are you presenting your 'signature' here as such? If you didn't agree with the sentiment, you wouldn't be. So, of course, you are being blatantly dishonest, in regards to your statement above.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply